Do you have to drink the Blood?

If my family converted to Catholocism, does my wife have to drink the Blood? Out of her commitment to God, my wife has never had a single drink of alcohol. In the Eucharist, can my wife only partake of the bread and that be sufficient?

First of all - it is not wine, it is the Blood of Christ. It is optional to receive the Holy Blood. All of Christ’s Body, Soul, Blood, and Divinity is contained in the Body of Christ which appears as bread on the altar.

She is fine receiving only the Body of Christ.

~Liza

No your wife is not obligated to drink the consecrated wine, which Catholics refer to as the blood of Christ.

We believe that a person receives the whole body, blood, soul, and divinity in either form. Thus persons who have celiac (sp?) disease do not consume the body and persons who do not drink alcohol do not consume the blood.

I wish you well on your journey to to join the Catholic Church.

It was not my intention to insult anyone’s beliefs. I was under the impression that it was ok to call it wine and that it didn’t become the actual body and blood until consumed. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Liza, you come across as rude when you start your post off as “First of all” like someone with an attitude and a finger in your face waiving it back and forth. I doubt that was your intention but just letting you know for future reference.

update: The light went on about the body and the blood. I remember now about how careful Catholics are to not let any fall because it is already the body and blood. At least I think that is right.

It is acceptable to call it bread and wine even after it has been consecrated.
For any Catholics reading, it should be sufficient to recall one of the proclamations of faith made after the consecration at Mass:
*“When we eat this bread and drink this cup we proclaim your death until you come.” *
(Also see 1 Cor 10:16 - 11:28)

Your “update” is correct. The bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus when the priest pronounces the words “This is My Body…” and “This is My Blood…” over the bread and wine at the Consecration prayer in the Mass.

Hope you and your family will be led to convert. Our Catholic faith is so rich, I wish everyone could discover and partake of it.

Wow, the OP titled his post “do you have to drink the blood” and referred to the consecrated wine as blood, but everyone jumped on his back about calling it the blood, even though that’s what he’s doing. Cut him some slack. I think they are only new Catholics anyway.

To answer your question, it becomes the body blood soul and divinity of Jesus Christ upon consecration as opposed to when it is consumed. Your wife can just receive Jesus under the appearance of bread, and she will then receive all of Jesus, not just body. She will receive body, blood, soul, and divinity.

I suppose it is all in how you read it - if you are looking for offense you will find it, because I certainly did not intend any. My apologies if you misunderstood.

update: The light went on about the body and the blood. I remember now about how careful Catholics are to not let any fall because it is already the body and blood. At least I think that is right.

Yes - that is very right. And just as we would all jump to catch Christ if He were falling from a ledge, we jump to catch Him if he falls from the priest’s hands.

~Liza

Welcome to the forums, sorry if you felt sniped at. I don’t think that was the poster’s intention, I think they were just trying to be clear so you understood as someone investigating the Catholic Church.

To answer, as others have said, taking Communion under either form is fine. You are free to take under just one, or both forms. In either the Body or Blood, you receive the whole and complete Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ. And it does not matter how much you take, He is completely present in the tiniest drop of Blood and the smallest particle of the Body.

God bless you on your investigations of His Church!

I think there are two different issues here.

Yes, it is permissible to receive under only one species-- body or blood. (The bread and wine become the Body and Blood at the consecration, not when you consume them).

However, you say she has never had a single drink of alcohol out of committment to God. The Catholic Church does not teach it is sinful to drink alcohol. So, perhaps in the grand scheme of things you should also focus on why your wife has this committment, and is it out of a misguided idea that **all **alcohol is sinful or wrong? God doesn’t have a problem with wine. Jesus drank wine at the Wedding Feast of Cana. Jesus drank wine at the Passover.

I think if you deal with the underlying issue, then communion becomes a non-issue. If your wife were to remain insistent that she will never drink any alcohol, even the Blood under the appearance of wine in Holy Communion, she should definitely discuss it with the priest beforehand. Most people receive First Communion under both species and you definitely would want to have communicated your intentions to the priest ahead of time to only receive the Body.

Hi, SJ…please correct me, but in another post, I think you stated you have attended a Mass before.

The consecration starts when the priest invokes the Holy Spirit to turn the bread and wine into the body and blood. This is when he places his hands over these. You should hear bells when this happens.

And yes, we are careful after consecration as it is then the actual body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ.

God bless in your journey.

Actually the original post was labeled “do you have to drink the wine” and then he went back and edited it. And I did not jump on his back about it. Only one response corrected him in a manner you could call “jumping” and lizanne apologized for that. Please read posts carefully before lumping people together saying “everyone”.

Thank you.

I THOUGHT the title said wine!!! Thank you for pointing out that it had changed, I knew I saw that and it is WHY I even bothered to open the thread. Glad to know I’m not loosing it!! :rolleyes:

~Liza

Too right, but it is acceptable for people to fast from whatever they feel called to fast from for whatever period they feel called to that fast. For example many give up chocolate for lent. That is not inherently an indictment against chocolate. I gave up coffee and dessert for a year when I was petitioning God for something important.

So there is nothing wrong with someone who feels between themselves and God that they should not partake of even something that once was wine. It does not sound as if she is condemning her husband’s use in any way. Can you clarify OP?

Perhaps I will stray from the theme, so forgive me if I do.

I think that many non-Catholics have a serious problem with Catholicism because of the doctrine of transubstantiation. The question posed here highlights that problem. In the eyes of many ‘drinking blood’ - yes, even of Christ - has a paganish ring about it, rather like Mithraism or one of those other ancient cults that also required the shedding of blood.

Among many meanline Protestants the entire idea of God giving his Son to be murdered as a way to redeem us seems to echo paganism, also. Evangelical Protestants emphasize that point, as do Catholics, but 'liberal' Protestants often feel queezie about it. God ordained that humankind murders his only begotten Son in order to save humankind? Wasn't there a better way? A less violent way? If any father would give up his son to be murdered today, we would accuse him of child abuse or worse.

Then, from another standpoint, while the murder of Jesus was a heinous crime, true, in three days he would rise and eternally reign as King of Kings, Lord of Lords, sitting 'on the right hand of God the Father Almighty' - whatever that means. It seems to reflect the notion that God is up in the sky somewhere, sitting on a throne.

Should we leave such images alone? Or, do they need to be revisited and possibly revised? Just asking. I know, for me, of a mixed Catholic/Protestant heritage, I'm troubled by much of this sort of doctrine. It sounds so primitive in today's world.  I'm much more touched by the Sermon on the Mount, the parable of the Good Samaritan, the closing verses of Matthew 25 and other teachings and experiences of Christ found in the Gospels.

In the Western Rite, it is my understanding that up until Vatican II, no one received the blood, or at least it was uncommon to do so. Is this correct? Personally, I do not like to receive the blood because it is still a shared cup with a bunch of people drinking from it.

I didn’t say there was. I suggested they examine the root of the issue-- which may be an erroneous belief about alcohol. I then stated that if she STILL feels called to refrain from all alcohol, then to let the priest know so he could make accomodations at FHC, which tyipcally includes receiving both species.

Is there alcoholism involved?

I guess from a Protestant point of view, I would ask this…If Jesus, at the Last Supper said to partake of both the body and the blood in remembrance of Him, why do we get to choose which one we partake of? Jesus clearly gave BOTH the bread and the cup as His body and blood, so how can you say that it is only acceptable to partake of one of them, yet receive Him entirely? He made it clear that both were apart of His Last Supper, yet, man has concluded that only one is necessary for the Eucharist.

Well, as you know, within human flesh IS blood. That would be the extent of my scientific explanation…

The church says that we only must partake in one or the other. As each species is complete. You might also note that since Chist gave Peter the Keys, So was a certain amount of authority. Those the run the Catholic Church actually have the authority as given by Christ to set the rules. These rules being devinly (um, devinely, Not sure what devinly would mean…:blush:) inspired to the best of my understanding.

And I guess as a Catholic, I would wonder why a Protestent is worried about a human estabilshing rules, when he’s practicing a religion established by a human, and not Christ…:shrug:

Regardless this rulling is great for very sensitive celiacs. As they can NOT take the Body. Gluten = bad.

And this is great for Alcoholics, or diabetics, because some may not ever be able to take the Blood. Alcohol and sugar = bad

And well, when half the church is hacking up a lung almost always, I just have zero desire to swap any spit. Regardless of the tiny sips, and the wiping… too risky for this mother of twins.

OP you are right. We are very careful once transformed. It’s now sacred and should be treated as such.

My first communion was a million years ago, I can’t remember if wine was offered. But I notice almost all children abstain… so your wife should be just fine!!!

Welcome…

On behalf of the wife? How could there be? She has NEVER had any alcohol. :confused:

~Liza

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.