Do you have to get a diplomma to be an apologetic?

hola:
my question is this: I have study about 30 apologetics books but i have found none apologetics courses, you are an apologetic by reading or studiyng only or have to take a course???

ONCE AGAIN PARDON MY ENGLISH, AT LEAST IS BETTER THAN MY SPANGLISH

MIRE MR. POLICEMAN, IBAMOS MY FRIEND Y YO CAMINANDO POR LA STREET AND THEN DE ESE TALL EDIFICIO LE CAYO UN BLOCKASO IN THE HEAD, Y DESDE ENTONCES NO HA VUELTO EN YES.

[quote=miguel delgado]hola:
my question is this: I have study about 30 apologetics books but i have found none apologetics courses, you are an apologetic by reading or studiyng only or have to take a course???

ONCE AGAIN PARDON MY ENGLISH, AT LEAST IS BETTER THAN MY SPANGLISH

MIRE MR. POLICEMAN, IBAMOS MY FRIEND Y YO CAMINANDO POR LA STREET AND THEN DE ESE TALL EDIFICIO LE CAYO UN BLOCKASO IN THE HEAD, Y DESDE ENTONCES NO HA VUELTO EN YES.
[/quote]

I often ask what University was it that Peter, James and John got their DD, and JCD’s at?

They got private tuition. :wink:

No, not private “tuition” (fees) but a private “tutor”. . . :smiley:

I’ve been actively involved with apologetics on an amatuer level for about 20 years. As far as I know there is no formal program or certification for Catholic apologetics like there is at Biola College for Evangelical Protestants. It is something I’ve always wished that a good, orthodox Catholic University (like Stubenville, or Catholic Distance Universty, for example) would offer, perhaps online. As it is, the only way to become an apologist is to engage in it. We are all called to be able to defend our Faith if necessary (1 Peter 3:15), but one can take it a notch higher and actually make it a ministry, getting involved in parish work (RCIA, etc) where you have the chance to teach and clear up misconceptions and give people tools and “ammunition.”

The next higher level is ministry outside and/or with the parish, still as an amatuer (i.e., just for the sheer love of it), perhaps starting a chapter of Catholics United for the Faith and concentrating primarily on apologetics, teaching others, offering to give talks and helping to bring nationally known apologetics speakers to your area. Again, this is in your spare time and is done as a sacrifice of love.

The last level is to be in full time apologetics work where it is basically your occupation. The most well known Catholic apologists have a varied background: former Protestant ministers, laymen with no formal theological background, lawyers, police officers, etc, etc. None of them have had any formal training in Catholic apologetics–driven by a love of the Faith, they have all learned by hours of study and prayer, and by going out there and actively defending the Faith.

Wow, I gusta your speaking of the espanish.

Yes, it would be great if there was a formal program for Catholic Apologetics. Jimmy Akin on his website, describes some different aspects of apologetics and it seems very interesting. I wonder if any of this work he describes has been formalized into some sort of course work for learning.

I am part of an apologetics\bible study at my parish, but most the stuff we have is home-made by the leader of the class on his own.

Scylla

There was a good article in a recent issue of This Rock (Feburary I thnk) that discussed how to develop into a professional career as an apologetic. I checked, it’s not online yet I don’t think…

i do a little of apologetics, i think the best way is to get books and read the bible. some exfundamentalist have good books like david currie and scott hahn. que dios te bendiga…saludos de puerto rico…:slight_smile:

[quote=mayra hart]i do a little of apologetics, i think the best way is to get books and read the bible. some exfundamentalist have good books like david currie and scott hahn. que dios te bendiga…saludos de puerto rico…:slight_smile:
[/quote]

One of the best was the late Frank Sheed.Writer and publisher (Sheed and Ward) Easy to read, and on top of it one of the best translators of Augustine’s “Confessions.”

El maestro Pug dice,

No es necesario hacer un curso. Just look at the saints! They didn’t take a course.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.