Do you have to go to Church?

I was just wondering out of curiosity if the bible states anywhere that we must go to Church every Sunday? And how did it come to be that Sunday was the chosen day of rest?

It’s the Lords day which means we should focus on him, rest, relax, and just take this time out to recharge the physical and spiritual batteries. It’s to be treated as the Sabbath, but not so strict along the letter of the law, but the heart of it. This means, I don’t make it into a work day, or mini work day, Church obligations themselves are done with the vigal for me at the current schedule, but I still like to go to other parishes, so sunday morning or eve mass is not out of the question as well, so, so wish they had week day eve mass, I’d so be there.

I found here, I get a lot more done throughout the week, taking that day off becomes more productive with that alone, it’s also helping me discipline and submit to our Lord, that this is his day and I will honor it and obey him here regardless of how much work I have on my plate at present.

No the bible does not say that you have to go to Church on Sunday. The Sunday obligation is a discipline that was established later.

It does however say that the first and greatest commandment is that we Love the Lord our God with all of our being -heart, mind, strength, - Everything.
So if one truly DOES love God in this way, why would one wish NOT to go to Church, to Mass, as their very first act of the week?

The development of Sunday as being the day of rest is because it is the day of Christ’s resurection.

Peace
James

Acts 20:7-
drbo.org/chapter/51020.htm

vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PYE.HTM

Here is something from several years ago:

Why do we worship on Sunday? After the institution of the “Lord’s Supper” on Holy Thursday the next time we hear of it in the scriptures is on Easter Sunday when Jesus Broke Bread at table with the disciples at Emmaus (LK 24:30) and ST. Paul writes “On the first day of the week…” in Acts 20:7. ST. John uses “the Lord’s day” in Rev 1:10.
We owe God, we owe him for our lives, we owe him for all of creation, and for sending his son to die to save us.

Which reminds me of the apple story:

Once there was a man who had nothing. God gave him seven apples. Two apples he gave him for food., two to trade for clothing and two to trade for shelter. The man eat the first two and then traded the other two for clothing and the other two for shelter.

God gave him the seventh apple so he would have something to give back to God in gratitude for the other six. But the man held up the seventh apple and admired it.
It was larger and juicer than the others. He knew in his heart that was the apple that God expected him to use as a gift of gratitude for the other six. But the man thought God has all the other apples in the world, so he ate the seventh apple, and gave God the core. God gives us seven days. One he expects us to use to thank him. But so often we, give him only the core! (anonymous)

The Scriptures warn us “We should not stay away from our assembly, as is the custom of some, but encourage one another…” (Heb 10:25).
We owe God “Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other nine?”
LK 17:17

All Catholics have grave duty to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.

Jesus gave us the Mass for our benefit, not His. We are most blessed to have the Mass available to us. Stop trying to find excuses because the bible doesn’t say so.:rolleyes:

I was mainly wondering why the bible-only Christians go to Church because I didn’t think that the bible directly tells anyone to go to Church once a week. And they only do what the bible states to do.

Please do not assume that the OP is “trying to find excuses”. The questions are legitimate ones which deserve legitmate answers without the :rolleyes:

Peace
James

The simple answer is that “Bible Only” Christians are following the tradition established in the early Church of keeping holy “The Lords Day” instead of “The Sabbath”.
I don’t think that most “Bible Only” Christian groups make it an “obligation” to attend services on Sunday though.

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.