Do you have to receive the Wine at mass?

In order for your sins to be washed away? or do you only have to receive the Eucharist?

The Sacrament you’re thinking about is Reconciliation. The Eucharist doesn’t wash away our sins, it unites us with Christ, who is present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Eucharist.

That said, the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity are fully present in both the accidents of the Eucharist, both the bread and the wine.

This is known as a doctrine called “contomotance” - Christ is fully present in every way under either species.

One may receive only the Host, or only the Precious Blood, and receive the “full Jesus.” Jesus may not be divided, and we do not receive “more Jesus” if we receive under both Kinds (or receive two Hosts, etc).

It is not required to receive the Precious Blood of Christ at Mass. The whole Christ is present in the host. Body, blood, soul and divinity.

No one receives wine at Mass by the way. They receive the Precious Blood of Christ under the form of wine.

Actually the Eucharist does remit venial sins, however it does not remit mortal sins.

God bless.

Accidents and species! These are certainly words I’ve never heard when referring to the Body and Blood! :smiley:

Anyway, good thread because today at Mass they didn’t even offer wine (maybe they did, but I didn’t see where).

Actually, laircy, Catholics do not receive “wine” at Mass. The wine was offered by the priest celebrating Mass during the offertory which, then, was changed into His Precious Blood during the consecration. The process of the change into Christ’s Blood is called transubstantiation in theological terms.

It is not mandatory for Christ’s Blood to be distributed to the faithful during the communion rite as we belive that the total Christ is distributed under both forms.

:thumbsup:

The Eucharist consists of both species, but many choose to only receive the Host. It’s fine either way.

Forgive me for the mistake. I knew that.

I always thought that the Eucharist had the same effect as Baptism in a sense that it washes away your sins… I did not know that it didnt wash away mortal sins however. I take it that we have to pay back mortal sins in Purgatory?

Really? I didn’t know! Thanks for the information! I always knew that you had to go to Reconciliation to forgive your mortal sins before receiving, but I didn’t know that your venial sins were forgiven by receiving the Eucharist. Good to know!

Mortal sins must be confessed during the Sacrament of Reconciliation prior to receiving the Eucharist.

Makes sense. Thanks.

So wait…once a priest absolves you of your sins you do not have to pay back those sins in Purgatory?

No, if you die in a state of mortal sin barring perfect contrition you are going to Hell. If you don’t die in a state of mortal sin you spend time in purgatory to purify your soul, the length having to do with the sins you committed. The time in Purgatory can be reduced by penance on Earth.

Generally, what would be the punishment that you receive in Purgatory?
BTW, how come the good thief on the cross, got to go straight to heaven, without passing through Purgatory?

for mortal sin to be washed away you need the sacrament of penance and reconciliation

to receive the sacrament of the Eucharist you need only receive under the form of consecrated bread, the host, or under the form of consecrated wine, the precious blood. In either or both Christ is truly sacramentally present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. Only the priest celebrant is required to receive under both forms.

The fires of Purgatory are not punishment, they are the fires of purgation

Baptism of Desire?

How does it differ from what you would experience from the fires of hell?

And it can of course be reduced by masses said for you, good works done for you, indulgences and so on. :smiley:

Well in a way they are a punishment, not eternal punishment but we do need to ‘pay off’ the temporal debt of sin and we did in a very real way suffer in Purgatory, though it may well be just the suffering of longing to be completely united to God and not being able to be fully united with God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.