Do you have to receive the Wine at mass?

So if you commit mortal sin sometime in your lifetime, and you repent without confession to a Priest then you still go to hell?

Yep the only Sacrament other than Baptism that washes away mortal sin, is the Sacrament of Reconcilliation.

If the temporal punishment has not been satisified during one’s life and they die in a state of friendship with God, then yes they will go to purgatory to finish out satisfying the temporal punishment due to their sins.

God bless.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church which Blessed Pope John Paul II said “it is a sure norm for teaching the Catholic Faith.”

#394 As bodily nourishment restores lost strength, so the Eucharist strengthens our charity, which tends to be weakened in daily life; and this living charity wipes away venial sins. 231 By giving himself to us Christ revives our love and enables us to break our disordered attachments to creatures and root ourselves in him:

Since Christ died for us out of love, when we celebrate the memorial of his death at the moment of sacrifice we ask that love may be granted to us by the coming of the Holy Spirit. We humbly pray that in the strength of this love by which Christ willed to die for us, we, by receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit, may be able to consider the world as crucified for us, and to be ourselves as crucified to the world… Having received the gift of love, let us die to sin and live for God

From The Sources of Catholic Dogma by Denzinger

#875 talking about the Eucharist - …[The Eucharist] as an antidote, whereby we may be freed from daily faults {venial sins} and be preserved from mortal sins…"

From the Roman Catechism or the Catechism of Trent

"It cannot be doubted that by the Eucharist are remitted and pardoned lighter sins, commonly called venial. Whatever the soul has lost through the fire of passion, by falling into some slight offence, all this the Eucharist, cancelling those lesser faults, repairs, in the same way - not to depart from the illustration already adduced - as naturaly food graduallly restores and repairs the daily waste caused by the force of the vital heat within us. Justly, therefore, has St. Ambrose said of this heavenly Sacrament: “That daily bread is taken as a remedy for daily infirmity. But these things are to be understood of those sins for which no actual afflcition is retained.”

This is why I continually counsel and suggest to have frequent recourse to the Sacraments, most especially those of Confession and Eucharist.

GeorgiiMichael - though confessing venial sins in the Confessional is also good to. :slight_smile:

God bless.

Becuase Jesus told the good thief that he would be with him in paradise that day. I am sure dying by the means of crucifixion made up for his temporal punishment that was due to his sins.

God bless.

In purgatory you know you will be going to heaven. You have the hope of heaven, in Hell you don’t have the hope of heaven and you know you are going to be there for all eternity.

God bless.

No, becuase you repented of your sins before dying.

Though I would counsel not to put off Confession, always go when conscious of mortal sin. And even have recourse to the Sacrament for venial sins as well.

God bless.

OK. with that being said…the main purpose of the Confession is so that the Priest can assign you a penance, and after doing that penance you can then receive the Eucharist? Otherwise, if you repent on your own there is no telling how much repenting you need to do, and it wouldn’t be wise to receive the Eucharist. Does that sound right?

Yes, but how do the fires of Purgatory differ from the fires of hell?

Not really sure seeing as I have not been to Hell or Purgatory. But on earth it seems easier to suffer pain when you know it is going to end sometime. Perhaps the knowledge of that makes it easier relatively speaking to suffer purgation.

There’s a book called the 4 Last things put out by Tan books. I am reading through that, and maybe they might discuss this and if they do I’ll post it on this topic.

God bless.

We know from the gospels that Jesus did not ascend into heaven until he rose from the dead. We also know that during the three days His body was buried in the tomb, He preached to the souls in Hades. While He was on earth, Jesus told a story of a man in the ‘Bosom of Abraham’ (Lazarus and the Rich man), and it was a place of paradise where the just went to await the coming of Christ. This is most likely the place He was referring to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.