Do You Hide Your Faith From Others?

Do you hide your faith from your family, friends, co-workers?

I admit that I hide or downplay my faith to certain individuals in my social circle because I know they will ridicule me for it. I have experienced ridicule from others in the past and I have to admit that I sometimes hide my faith to avoid this.

I am not proud of the fact that I am afraid to demonstrate or share my faith in public, and I pray that the Holy Spirit will give me the courage to do this in the future.

I have just read this quote of St. Josemaria Escriva:

**Nonsectarianism. Neutrality. Old myths that always try to seem new.

Have you ever stopped to think how absurd it is to leave one’s Catholicism aside on entering a university, a professional association, a cultural society, or Parliament, like a man leaving his hat at the door?**

How true is this saying!

Do you leave your Catholicism aside in your daily life, or do you proudly proclaim Christ to everyone you meet?

I wear a Luther Rose lapel pin every day on my suit or sport coat, but I don't espouse my beliefs unless asked.

I wear a cross and my saints medal and I never shy away from Jesus with any one. I mean I don’t say anything unless asked, but my family and friends know that I am a Christian.

Hiyas:)

Nope.

IMHO living my faith …is faith

I always tell people that I am a traditional Roman Catholic at school (high school). Why would I care what they think?

Nope - I do not hide my faith from others.

I also don't push my faith to others and I do not start conversations,but I do partake in them if asked.

[quote="kimmielittle, post:4, topic:181169"]
Hiyas:)

Nope.

IMHO living my faith ....is faith

[/quote]

I just realized that's your signature. I made a comment on another thread about what did ego have to do with...the OP called himself an agnostic. I apologize...I guess I missed whatever you actually wrote.

And no, I don't hide my faith. I don't think I've ever felt the need to do that. The people I work with are very supportive, even trading hours with me on Ash Wednesday or Holy Days so I can get to Mass in the evening. My team has a couple nominal Baptists, a very passionate AME, 2 Jehovah's Witnesses and 4 lapsed Catholics. And me. Nobody ever gives me any grief for not eating meat on Fridays, which is more than I can say about a lot of Catholics, and have never complained about having tuna salad on Friday food days. They always have me choose where we order on Fridays, and people will say, Don't forget to get one pizza without meat for Debby. The company changed the spring BBQ to a Thursday because I asked if there could be some plain old grilled chese for the Catholics since it was Lent. I think I've been very lucky.

:):slight_smile:

Don’t hide your faith, be proud of it and evangelize. Not in a pushy way but to share the good news and be a blessing to others.

In my area of the country, it’s not particularly “cool” to be religious. This led me to hiding the extent of my faith during high school. Unfortunately, I haven’t completely gotten over this habit while I am home from college with my high school friends. College is completely different though–I’m extremely open about my faith with others. Hopefully this winter break will give me the opportunity to show my faith in a different light back home.

I think that part of this problem stemmed from the fact that no one talks about religion with each other in my hometown. Apparently, it’s not worth anyone’s time. Thankfully my friends and acquaintances at college have been much more open and willing to talk about faith and support my faith.

Never. I would die first than deny or hide my Faith. It is not what I do, it is who I am. I could no more hide my Faith than disguise the color of my eyes, or the sound of my voice, or my very finger prints. Everyone who knows me knows that I am Catholic, or at the very least Christian. I cross myself openly at any meal, I don’t care who is around me. I wear my religious medals without covering them up. I have Catholic stickers on my vehicle, and when I was working in an office my walls were covered with Catholic images and messages. No - I do not hide my Faith from others. The thought of doing so is quite disturbing actually.

~Liza

In my area of the country, it’s not particularly “cool” to be religious. This led me to hiding the extent of my faith during high school. Unfortunately, I haven’t completely gotten over this habit while I am home from college with my high school friends. College is completely different though–I’m extremely open about my faith with others. Hopefully this winter break will give me the opportunity to show my faith in a different light back home.

I think that part of this problem stemmed from the fact that no one talks about religion with each other in my hometown. Apparently, it’s not worth anyone’s time. Thankfully my friends and acquaintances at college have been much more open and willing to talk about faith and support my faith.

This is exactly the same for me. Unfortunately, I have found that it’s not particularly cool to be religious in the entire UK. The USA is so much more religious than England. In fact, when I was in New York a few years back, I was amazed at how vibrant the Catholic community was. Everyone seemed so proud of their faith. England was the exact opposite.

Do you sometimes feel that you live a double life? That you’re a different person in different social circles? I often feel this way, and one of my resolutions for the new year is to proudly proclaim my faith, in the same way as the others in this thread.

I don’t hide my faith, but of course some people wouldn’t know my faith if I didn’t tell them. Some times it seems better for me not to talk about it with some people, but I don’t neccesarily hide it.

Everyone should know your faith if your catholic. We are to profess it. The opening of the catechism states that whenever we talk about our faith, we begin with ‘I believe…’ or ‘WE believe…’

No one should hide or be ashamed of their faith, especially us! We have Christ’s true faith!

That is an excellent question. Usually, when I first meet someone, religion isn’t the first thing that I will bring up. As I get to know that person better, I then say something along the lines of: “I’m a Roman Catholic, does that bother you in anyway?” Other than that, my church has t-shirts made for members of our youth group Lifeteen, which I wear to school, the mall, everywhere teens like me go lol. I do try to live a Christlike life, but don’t try to set myself up as being a hypocrite, as some of my Baptist and other faith friends do.

Heck, I get ridiculed by family and friends just for flirting with Catholicism. Attending a Catholic university gives me an opportunity though to discuss matters without any eye-rolling or caustic remarks.

I think lizaanne has the right attitude. If nothing else, it would help preserve Christendom/Western civilization. :wink:

Everyone who knows me knows that I am a Christian, but not everyone knows that I am a Catholic Christian. Those who are very close friends and family do, but others do not. If it came up I would say that I was Catholic. I am the only Catholic in my family and live in a very anti-Catholic part of the country.

I don’t get into debates, if I can help it, with family members and friends. Although, I never let a falsehood go by uncorrected. It is hard at times, we can discuss our faith just so far. We have learned our boundaries and for the most part that works. But I do wish it was something that I could share more with my family and close friends.

In Christ’s Love,
Maggie

Lizanne, Jesus said in Matthew chapter 10, “So every one who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven; but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.” So, it sounds like you are in good shape. I concur with your sentiments. I worked on and off at a prominent evangelical organization for almost twenty years - the last five as a Catholic. That was interesting… particularly because of the fact that I was very anti-Catholic in the beginning. As well, I had to let the VP of HR know that I could no-longer submit to the statement of faith unless I was allowed to qualify my answer.

Dempsey,

Check out this link about Saint Perpetua. This is one gal who had it going on when it came to faith :thumbsup:

She even kept a diary of her persecution. So you can read about it in her own words.

fordham.edu/halsall/source/perpetua.html

God bless

p.s. I do not hide my faith.

I live in a super Catholic community, go to Catholic school, and my entire family is Catholic. I really don’t need to hide it. But, when I’m meeting new people, I leave it out…unless I’m asked.

-Jeanne

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.