Do you know a good Catholic Church in/near Decatur GA?

I am going to vist my brother and his family the first week of July. My brother is a fallen away Catholic, SIL is Episcopalian and newphew has joined a church that claims to be “catholic” with a little “c”. I visited their website www.allsoulsfellowship.org and would like some help in a) trying to figure out what their denominational leanings are. Would reformed be Calvinist? and b) know where a good, solid Catholic Church nearby would be so I can go to Mass and invite them to join me. When my brother and SIL visited me they went to Mass.

Also will be visiting with a friend in Greyson near Snellville. She has joined the Methodist Church but we have had some really good conversations about the Catholic Church. Not sure she is ready to come back but would love to know where to refer her if she would like a priest to talk to.

Monastery of the Holy Spirit is Conyers. :slight_smile:

[quote=Magnolia]I am going to vist my brother and his family the first week of July. My brother is a fallen away Catholic, SIL is Episcopalian and newphew has joined a church that claims to be “catholic” with a little “c”. I visited their website www.allsoulsfellowship.org and would like some help in a) trying to figure out what their denominational leanings are. Would reformed be Calvinist? and b) know where a good, solid Catholic Church nearby would be so I can go to Mass and invite them to join me. When my brother and SIL visited me they went to Mass.

Also will be visiting with a friend in Greyson near Snellville. She has joined the Methodist Church but we have had some really good conversations about the Catholic Church. Not sure she is ready to come back but would love to know where to refer her if she would like a priest to talk to.
[/quote]

Monastery of the Holy Spirit is Conyers. :slight_smile:

Reformed is Calvinist most times, though there are variations on that theme as well. Their site doesn’t really get into specifics, but I bet they will in person.

From their website:
"
All Souls is committed to CATHOLIC doctrine.

By Catholic, of course, we’re not referring to the Roman Catholic Church, but to the original meaning of the term, which is “according to the whole” or “universal.” In other words, we hold to those basic teachings which have been believed by all those churches throughout history that have proclaimed historic Christianity. These teachings have been confessed in the ecumenical creeds of the early church, particularly the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creeds.

These are the three basic teachings of the catholic tradition:

1. The Trinity (one God in three persons of Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
  2. The Incarnation (that Jesus is both God and man).
  3. The Atonement (that Jesus died on the cross and was raised from the dead in order to save sinners).

All Souls is committed to APOSTOLIC doctrine.

By “apostolic,” we are referring to those doctrines taught by the Apostles in the Scriptures and so forcefully reclaimed in the Reformation of the 16th century,. By using the word ‘apostolic’, we are also stating that we reject the downplaying of these doctrines by some 19th and 20th century “modern” critics. Specifically, we believe that the Scriptures are without error, completely trustworthy and the ultimate authority for our beliefs and our lifestyles. We believe that salvation is only by God’s grace and is received solely by faith in Christ. We believe in the historicity of the biblical miracles, of the virgin birth, and in the reality of Christ’s Second Coming.

All Souls is committed to REFORMED doctrine.

We believe that God is sovereign in all things, including salvation and that the sacraments of baptism and communion not only represent God’s grace, but also seal and apply that grace to our lives. We are committed to a Presbyterian system of church government and to living out the implications of God’s radical grace in every area of life."

It sounds like a sort of “cafeteria style” church, where they have picked what they wanted and left the rest.
God be with you in your efforts.

If you want the best Church Mass you will have to travel about 20-25 miles (well worth it!!) of easy highway West to:
[/font]St. Francis de Sales
587 Landers Dr.
** Mableton, GA 30126**
Fr. Mark Fischer,** FSSP**
(404) 948-6888
e-mail: francis.de.sales@juno.com
Traditional Mass times:
Sun 9:00 a.m. (low Mass) & 11:30 a.m. (High Mass)
Mon-Thu 9:00 a.m.
Fri 7:00 p.m.
Sat 9:00 a.m.
Holydays 9:00 a.m. & 8:00 p.m.
Confessions: After Mass Fri. & Sat., 1/2 hour before Sun. Mass
Devotions: Benediction every Fri. 7:45 p.m.

There’s St. Francis De Sales, in Mableton, GA, not too far from Decatur. It’s the only daily Traditional Latin Mass parish in the Atlanta Diocese. Though I’m not Catholic, I went there once. You and your associates might like it.

[quote=Ahimsa]There’s St. Francis De Sales, in Mableton, GA, not too far from Decatur. It’s the only daily Traditional Latin Mass parish in the Atlanta Diocese. Though I’m not Catholic, I went there once. You and your associates might like it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the second vote.
This is a modest Building, so don’t expect a “cathedral atmosphere”.
Even the non-catholc knows, instinctively, quality worship.

Glory to Jesus Christ!

If you really want to shake their tree, send them here! Fully Catholic, and cannot be confused with any of those fakes.

A visit will reaffirm the Apostolic roots of the church, sacramental theology and the wide scope of tradition in the church.

Of course, it’s a 26 mile drive from Decatur, but that is about average for devout Eastern Catholics, distance becomes irrelevent.

http://ocaphoto.oca.org/filetmp/2005/June/1017/Detail/DSC_0125.jpg

Thanks.:smiley:

[quote=Hesychios]Glory to Jesus Christ!

If you really want to shake their tree, send them here! Fully Catholic, and cannot be confused with any of those fakes.

A visit will reaffirm the Apostolic roots of the church, sacramental theology and the wide scope of tradition in the church.

Of course, it’s a 26 mile drive from Decatur, but that is about average for devout Eastern Catholics, distance becomes irrelevent.
[/quote]

No offense, but I’d hesitate taking a non-cath to a Byz rite church if I was not thoroughly familiar with it. I have one about 12 mi from my home. One Sun. we had to fly out and that church was closest to the a-port and the time fit in. Well, I took my daughter and a non-catholic (Church of Christ) friend. She freeked out. Said that the church looked like a tatoo artist had gone berserk. Couldn’t concentrate on the Mass. At the time, I was Novus Ordo, but this Mass was the little spark that finally had me exit the NOM and move into the TLM 2 years later.

[quote=TNT]If you want the best Church Mass you will have to travel about 20-25 miles (well worth it!!) of easy highway West to:
St. Francis de Sales
587 Landers Dr.
** Mableton, GA 30126**
Fr. Mark Fischer,** FSSP**
(404) 948-6888
e-mail: francis.de.sales@juno.com
Traditional Mass times:
Sun 9:00 a.m. (low Mass) & 11:30 a.m. (High Mass)
Mon-Thu 9:00 a.m.
Fri 7:00 p.m.
Sat 9:00 a.m.
Holydays 9:00 a.m. & 8:00 p.m.
Confessions: After Mass Fri. & Sat., 1/2 hour before Sun. Mass
Devotions: Benediction every Fri. 7:45 p.m.
[/quote]

This sounds wonderful and my girls and I might try to go to weekday Mass. I would love for them to experience a Traditional Mass and it would be good for me also. Don’t think my brother is ready for this as one of his comments after he went to Mass with us here was that he was so glad it was in English. (He had not been to Mass in over 30 years!) that he even went with us is an answer to prayers. So please keep him and his family (and me!) in your prayers.

So how do you know about Mableton being in Texas?
M

[quote=Hesychios]Glory to Jesus Christ!

http://ocaphoto.oca.org/filetmp/2005/June/1017/Detail/DSC_0125.jpg
[/quote]

I am sure my brother and his family are not ready for this elaborate of a Mass. I think he still has some hang ups from what he calls “pomp” when he was an altar boy. It looks beautiful to me though. Wish we had Traditional Mass and churches out here in Seattle.

Please keep us in your prayers.
Thanks, M
M

I vaguely remember the monastery in Conyers and think this would be a great place to take the family. Gives an incentive for them to come with me.

My brother and I have talked a little about God, The Church, etc and he was more open than he ever has been. Both my brother and newphew are big readers so I would like to bring some books that might help them understand the Church. So for my nephew I wanted to know from what denominational background he was coming from. I agree with you it sounds very cafeteria style. Was thinking of bringing Everlasting Man by Chesterton (he is a CS Lewis fan) and Predestination by Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange. I would love to bring the Jurgens set of ECF but not sure if I can carry everything on the airplane.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, M

Last time I drove north through Decatur GA from Atlanta I saw a church names St Thomas More. Can’t be a bad church with him as a patron! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.