Do you know anything about the history of the Knights Templar?

I watched this disturbing video about the Knights Templar…

Long-Story-Short: they were actual monks recognized by the pope, who fought the Muslims for the holy land… and according to the narrator… they were eventually accused of such serious things as devil worship, etc… Some were burned at the stake… The video implied that the motive for the (possibly/probably) false accusations was that the king of France (i think it was Louis 7th?)was having financial problems and wanted to seize their property, which was considerable…

I would like to know the Catholic version of this story…

thanks…

You’re on the right trail. There’s a veritable ton of info out there on them. :thumbsup:

and you aren’t going to share any today?? :frowning:

one rreason i want to understand this better is because there is some connection between the Knights and the Masons…

but the movie didn’t go into much detail about that…

the Knights T were the first worldwide corporation… i believe the Masons would like to be not only the last - but the one and only…

Yes, the King (Philip IV) also had the Pope of the time (Clement V) under his thumb. Clement was the Pope who moved the Papacy to France, starting what has been called the “Avignon Papacy”, or, less charitably, the “Babylonian Captivity”.

Check out the Wikipedia article. It’s a good starting point – don’t take everything at face value, but do look at the info that is well-cited and supported by other sources.

thanks… but what wikipedia article?? I don’t even know anything about wikipedia…

Sorry…try this article.

Wikipedia is an “online encyclopedia that anyone can edit”. For that reason I would not use it as a *definitive *knowledge source, but it is a good starting point, especially when you can see that a lot of the information is researched and duly footnoted with links to sources.

I’d say the article will give you a good overview of what you’re looking for.

go the the web /www.templarhistory.com/ tells the entire history of the Templar Knights

thanks. :slight_smile:

yes a little

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.