Do you know much about Oprah denying Christ?

i saw this short YouTube thing on how Oprah denies Christ… that’s what it was supposed to be about… i am not sure she is really denying Christ… :confused: she is just saying that there are many ways to God… Well, i believe there are many ways to God as far as knowing who God is (sort of) but knowing who God is and being purified enough to be in His Presence forever are two different things… Jesus says He is the only way… & we either believe that or not…
Isaiah says that the “will of God will be accomplished through [Jesus]” so if you do not do the will of God… and those who don’t follow Christ are not, objectively speaking, doiing his will… then how can you say you hve found / reached God?? Scripture says that only those who do the will of the Father will enter Heaven…

Oprah said that when she was young (Baptist) the preacher had this wonderful sermon until he said something ab out God being “jealous”… and she didn’t think that the word 'jealous" fit God, so i guess that is when she kinda… left Jesus or whatever… i think she is getting jealousy mixed up with “petty jealousy”. the preacher didn’t explain what God’s jealousy is all about… Not the same as human jealousy… for sure…

I don’t understand exactly where she is coming from. Do you??

If you know more about this, please enlighten me… :confused:

thanks

I am and always have been unimpressed by Oprah.:frowning:

i am unimpressed in some ways… but she does kind of have a point about how (basically) someone who has never heard of Jesus shouldn’t be condemnd to Hell…

I don’t know much about her, which is why i am asking…

Fortunately that is not a Catholic belief. I have no doubt that it is the belief of some Christians but it’s not the belief of the Catholic Church. Honestly the more I hear the more I wonder just how much time she has spent researching Christianity. Anyone who does an honest search on Christianity will find that while there are some groups of Christians who do believe this not all of them do. There are those, such as Catholics, who do believe that people can be saved even if they have never heard of Christ.

Nope, I’m not impressed by her.

exactly waht is not a Cahtolic belief??

Is this what you are referring to:

Iwho do believe that people can be saved even if they have never heard of Christ.

I am afraid you are wrong. The Catholic Church teaches that anyone can be saved, whether the person has heard of Christ or not. How can a person be held accountable for violating christian principles when he doesn’t know Christ??

It is more difficult to be saved if a person is not Catholic… because Jesus gave the Church all that He wanted us to have… and the Church has great “weapons”… but it IS possible if the person acts on the grace he has been given… and doesn’t go against his conscience… and the Church teaches that.

Oprah appears to be interested in the human potential movement if that’s what it’s called. I have only watched her show a few times but saw guests like Deepak Chopra, M. Scott Peck, and Marianne Williamson. Her current favorite is someone named Eckhart Tolle. I have never read any of these authors except “The Roadless Traveled” by Dr. Peck and did enjoy it. I felt he had something worthwhile to say. The others seem to me to traffic in psychobabble.

John

i can’t remember why but i did NOT like the Road Less Traveled… It seems to me that he condoned abortion in that book… (??) but i don’t know if i am remembeing correctly… and i believe t here were other things i didn’t like…

Anyway… if Oprah is substituting these humans for Christ… then i would agree she is rejecting Him… and if those authors contradict Christ (probalby do??) then… well, i guess i know enough about her now… all i need to know…

i didn’t happen to think the author of Road Less… was very Christian… If he believes in abortion, in my opinion, he is NOT.

i think rich people just have a harder time accepting Christ… Didn’t Jesus even say that - the eye of the needle and al?? do you think she is just trying to justify her lifestyle??? :shrug:

I thought I was pretty clear, I’m sorry if I wasn’t.

I’m referring to your quote about what Oprah said.

Originally Posted by distracted
i am unimpressed in some ways… but she does kind of have a point about how (basically) someone who has never heard of Jesus shouldn’t be condemned to Hell…

My response was, that is not a teaching of the Church but I know some Christian churches do teach that. Note I am NOT referring to the Catholic Church here, these would be Protestant churches. Not all Christian churches teach that. I know the teachings of the Church on this matter. I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Which was:

Fortunately that is not a Catholic belief. I have no doubt that it is the belief of some Christians but it’s not the belief of the Catholic Church. Honestly the more I hear the more I wonder just how much time she has spent researching Christianity. Anyone who does an honest search on Christianity will find that while there are some groups of Christians who do believe this not all of them do. There are those, such as Catholics, who do believe that people can be saved even if they have never heard of Christ.

OK… i am so sorry… was i not reading it well… or did you leave out that one word?? Anyway, doesn’t matter… sorry for the misunderstanding…

That’s ok. :slight_smile:

My mom used to watch Oprah a lot in her early days. She was good back then. She has changed quite a bit since then. There is at least one thread on one of her “pet” books. The one by author Eckhart Tolle. I believe the consensus was that it was not Christian.

Found one such thread for you if you want to read it. Books: A New Earth.

Hi distracted,

Apparently she is into that New Age type stuff. I was in another thread about her just last week if you want to check it out. A lot of people were down on her about it. I feel that she has done some good for people who really need it with all of her wealth and that is admirable. I don’t approve of the direction she has taken but I will repeat what I said in that thread. I think she has discovered that even if you have all the money in the world, can do anything you want, can pretty much “be” who you want, that there is still something missing and I think she is searching. She could do much good and I hope that she will eventually find the right path and I think we all know what that is. :wink:

It is not well publicized, but you have noticed the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Oprah’s unfortunate politics and confused theology. She supports every leftist ideal to the max, be it abortion, stem cell research, homosexual rights, black liberation theology, or any type of new age secular humanism. While Oprah denies being a scientologist, she talks often about it and has not met a scientologist she isnt fascinated by. So it would not surprise me at all if she takes a position that Christ is not a necessity for salvation, but perhaps a nice-to-have, and then, only if one “feels” that way about their own personal religion.

Oprah has made many public comment over the years. Has she ever expressed a belief in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior?

John

thanks… this is the info i was mostly looking for… i am not so sure i know waht black liberation theology is… Do you know??

I do believe the Blacks have been treated more unfairly than just about any other group so i don’t know if i oppose liberation theology… ??

anyway… this reminds me… do you know anything about Pastor Wright (Jeremiah) saying something about how Whites are not yet human?? or was it some other pastor?? I am thinking it was him, though… ?

I guess man being created equal just doesn’t click with a lot of people…:frowning:

Absolutely Oprah denied Christ - she said that “her” Jesus didn’t come to found a relgion, didn’t come to start Christianity. She gives time and credence to Ulrick “Eckhart” Tolle (who changed his name so that he would be more like Meister Eckhart) who flatly denies the Trinity, the divinity of Christ and most of the things civilized society relies on in his book “A New Earth”.

Tolle is a dangerous man, and Oprah is either exceptionally stupid to endorse a book which she hasn’t read, exceptionally stupid not to see the problems with his book and Christianity, exceptionally stupid to not realize that saying “my Jesus didn’t come to start Christianity”, or simply not Christian and denying Christ.

And stupid people don’t make that kind of money. She’s not Christian, and she needs to be stopped.

Oh my, let’s stay away from Reverend Wright. Talk about a “loose cannon” and “hornet’s nest.”

John

i was following you until you said this:

i don’t understand…

Stupid people make “that kind of money” all the time… In fact, it reminds me of this saying i heard:

You can tell waht God thinks about money by the kinds of people who have it…:smiley:

Yes, we definitely want to stay away from him…

Maybe we could send him to the moon with the next shuttlecraft…? :smiley:

Really? Name a genuinely stupid person who has made that sort of cash and is that successful.

My point is that Oprah isn’t stupid - she is simply anti-Christian and in denial of Christ. I don’t think that, in good conscience, a Christian can support her in any way, shape or form. She’s not merely a non-Christian, she is directly opposed to Christ and is working against everything He stands for.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.