Do you know this secret of sanctity and happiness?

Cardinal Désiré-Félicien-François-Joseph Mercier (21 November 1851 – 23 January 1926) was the Archbishop of Mechelen , Primate of Belgium .

Pope Benedict XV sent his portrait and a letter of whole-hearted support to Cardinal Mercier in 1916, and at one point told him “You saved the Church!” I have yet to find out what the Pope meant when he said that Cardinal Mercier had saved the Church .

A photo of Cardinal Mercier - - - - - - - - -

Cardinal Mercier said , " I am going to reveal to you a secret of sanctity and happiness. For five minutes every day quieten your imagination, close your eyes to everything visible and your ears to all external sounds and withdraw into the sanctuary of your baptised soul which is the temple of the Holy Spirit. There, speak to the Holy Spirit and say:

O Holy Spirit
beloved of my soul
I adore you.
Enlighten
guide,
strengthen and console me.

Tell me what I ought to do
and command me to do it.
I promise to submit to everything
that you ask of me
and to accept all
that you allow to happen to me.
Just show me what is your will.

If you do this, your life will be happy and serene. Even in the midst of troubles you will experience great consolation, for grace will be given to strengthen and help you to cope with every difficulty. "

@Rob2 what a beautiful prayer and gift, thank you.

Thanks @Lee1 .

The first time I came across the prayer was when I was on a pilgrimage to Walsingham . It is in the Holy Ghost Chapel next to the Slipper Chapel .

Hey! I went there two years ago. My diocesan Bishop was heavily involved there for many years. It’s a nice place, a Holy place and well worth visiting. It’s on the web you know, they show the daily masses.

I say that prayer every morning.

I never knew that .

Thanks , I’ve bookmarked it .

Cardinal Mercier was a great hero during WWI for his resistance to the German occupation of Belgium. He was internationally known for that even in USA.

Saint Catherine of Siena made a mental cell and maybe she did something similar to this.

Sounds to me a little like St. Francis’ Make Me a Channel of Your Peace. Very meditative.

@Theo2 , it came into my mind this morning that I should have thanked you yesterday for the encouragement your post gave .

So - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks you and may God continue to bless you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.