Do you know what your Spiritual Gifts Are?

I am curious to know if you as a Catholic know what your Spiritual gifts are, and how are you using them?
I have been attending a seminar in my Catholic Church called " The Power of Vision"–Discovering God’s Vision for Your Life: You and Your Spiritual Gifts. Has anyone heard of this?

Sirach,

To be honest, the Lord has brought forth a different gift at many different times in my life, depending upon the spiritual need of the person to whom it is ministered.

We just need to be open to God’s Holy Spirit, and He can minister through us accordingly as He sees fit.

I can’t honestly say I possess any special gift as a permanent charism, but most of the time, I would say it is prophecy. Not in the sense of foretelling, or “knowing” secret things, but in the context St. Paul used it – exhortation and inspiration, building up another with words of encouragement, hope, and truth.

It is not always possible to see the results of this, but we trust that God plants seeds through us for which He bears the responsibility to anoint the word in the other’s heart.

Carole

As followers of Jesus, we should make an effort to discover our gifts and their natures. Some gifts are always present, others come and go according to need and God’s will. It is important that we learn how our gifts work, how to recognize when they are being enhanced by God for the moment, how far to trust in them (and God), and the proper use of the gift.

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO]As followers of Jesus, we should make an effort to discover our gifts and their natures. Some gifts are always present, others come and go according to need and God’s will. It is important that we learn how our gifts work, how to recognize when they are being enhanced by God for the moment, how far to trust in them (and God), and the proper use of the gift.
[/quote]

How can I do what you suggest? I have never been sure what mine are. :confused:

[quote=aimee]How can I do what you suggest? I have never been sure what mine are. :confused:
[/quote]

Hi Aimee,

This is a time where spiritual direction comes in. This is a must for any serious Catholic. I have just come back from my session and lo and behold, I just discovered that my ministry (and gift)at this point is to adoration.:eek: Looking back, it does make sense. Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament that is. Pray that my pastor allows this as I would need a key to the church because my shifts at work are erratic to say the least.

Gifts must be tested by the community and spiritual direction. I, too, have received the gift of prophecy and this was told to me 20+ years ago. There were/are many circumstances that would confirm this. Another is discernement…again, only to be tested by time and community. These are not self-procalimed by me, but by others. I would have preferred not to receive them as it has caused enough grief, trust me. :crying: But I do surrender to the Lord for His greater glory.:bowdown:

Anyway, this is only my two cents, Aimee and God bless…

Blessings,
Shoshana

I truly dislike these kinds of threads. Why would anyone want to list off their gifts to one another is truly baffling to me? It reminds me of kindergarten. Whose car is bigger and whose daddy is stronger. Let’s compare and make each other feel less by building up ourselves. Nothing nauseates me more than endless talk about how gifted we are.

Tru,

Sirach mentioned that he is attending a workshop on this through the Church. My assumption is that if the Church thought it was worthwhile to teach the subject, there is value in understanding how the gifts operate in our lives. Certainly many saints have written about it, my favorite being Francis de Sales, particularly the chapter on “inspiration.” Beautiful!

The purpose of such a class, or even this thread, seems to be one of building confidence in the members of the Body of Christ, encouraging one another to recognize their specific urges and nudges of the Lord, and to step out in faith and follow His inspirations. This is not an easy process for many christians to discern.

So many times I have held back on those that seemed unusual, only to find that when I obeyed the inner nudge, it bore great fruit. God doesn’t shout or wave a flag to get our attention, but speaks for the most part in tiny, almost imperceptible whispers.

There is a great difference in humbly sharing with a view to instructing another, and bragging. I did not see anything of the latter in this thread, and I pray it keeps its positive tone.

Carole

[quote=aimee]How can I do what you suggest? I have never been sure what mine are. :confused:
[/quote]

Pray on it.

What talents has God given to you? Do any have a spiritual dimension? Have you explored them to see if they do?

Do you find that similiar situations keep coming up in your life, like friends with a certain sort of problem that you can help with? If so, it may be related to a gift that you have been given.

Some gifts have to be developed. They take priactice and discernment seeped in lots of prayer.

Sometimes fasting will help us see our gifts better.

Also note, that some gifts are given for you, others are given for you to use to the benefit of others.

A good spiritual director can help you discover your gifts by working with you to look at your life and see where God has blest you.

[font=Arial][font=Arial]Dear Carole,

Yes I agree. However… the title is unfortunate and the would be instructive nature of this thread is also in jeopardy. These threads, unless very cautiously approached and safeguarded, will deteriorate into some less than humble responses. I wish you well, but how do you keep the superficial and the spiritually naive from posting look ma what I can do responses? God bless.

[/font][/font]

Greetings Sirach

One of the Pastoral gifts is the Gift of Discernment. This Gift is quite broad and can include discerning gifts.
You might talk to your Pastor about this.

Gifts do change. For almost 30 years, I had the gift of Counsel. When this finally changed, I was given the gift of Word of Knowledge. Other gifts were also present to a lesser degree.

At this point in my life, I am once again praying for discernment of my gifts. I will pray for you, as well.

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO]Pray on it.

What talents has God given to you? Do any have a spiritual dimension? Have you explored them to see if they do?

Do you find that similiar situations keep coming up in your life, like friends with a certain sort of problem that you can help with? If so, it may be related to a gift that you have been given.
[/quote]

Well…I think what you said above is something I must think about…for I’d say…I have had similiar type people come up…now its weird because just recently I’ve thought why I come across people who seem so different than me…I am involved in prison ministry so that explains some of it. :hmmm: I think and pray about it and come back and let you know…thanks for responding to my post.

[quote=robertaf]Greetings Sirach

One of the Pastoral gifts is the Gift of Discernment. This Gift is quite broad and can include discerning gifts.

Gifts do change. For almost 30 years, I had the gift of Counsel. When this finally changed, I was given the gift of Word of Knowledge. Other gifts were also present to a lesser degree.

At this point in my life, I am once again praying for discernment of my gifts. I will pray for you, as well.

[/quote]

Hi Roberta,
I didn’t know gifts could change…(?) but it makes sense.

Hello, Tru,

I wish you well, but how do you keep the superficial and the spiritually naive from posting look ma what I can do responses? God bless.

I suppose that’s possible, but so far, so good, huh? If someone does post in a prideful manner, as Jesus said of them, “Amen, they have received their reward.” (Self-applause) We just pass over it in charity.

As for spiritually naive persons, a discerning, loving heart would recognize their inexperience and pray for wisdom to guide them.

Trust the Lord, dear friend, and be at peace.

Carole

I once heard it explained like this…Find what truly makes you happy. The work that you just can’t get enough of and doesn’t seem like it’s “work” at all…That is where your spiritual gift is at. It’s this place work something seems natural to you and you enjoy that God has called you.

I can’t say that this is totally right, but maybe that’s a start.

[font=Fixedsys][size=3]Trust the Lord, dear friend, and be at peace.

[/size][/font]

I am Carole,:slight_smile:

But I would rather be saved from the kindness of others than be led into the sin of pride. Pride is the greatest evil and the biggest enemy. Pride caused the fall both in Heaven and on Earth. Pride is the root of all sin. We must strive to avoid it (pride) and be careful not to lead others into it.

[quote=robertaf]Greetings Sirach

[/quote]

Almost forgot…what do the terms gift of Word of Knowlege and gift of counsel mean?

Hi Aimee
In my case, the gift of counsel was manifested in the fact I spent nearly 30 years doing Spiritual Counseling in the Church. This covered many areas, as you might guess. Much of it was very stressful and draining for me. When it became difficult for me, God removed the gift.
Later, while working with a Prayer Team in the Charismatic Renewal, The Holy Spirit would tell me about different peoples illness or problem so we could pray for that.

Aimee,

The Gift of Counsel is one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit that we receive when we are confirmed. As we grow in sensitivity to Him, and our growth in virtue increases, we will become more able to manifest these gifts. There are a number of spiritual books that describe these gifts in detail. One I like is “The Spiritual Life,” by Adolph Tanquerey, available on Amazon.

Prophecy, as it was described above and also by St. Paul, flows from the Gift of Counsel. All christians who are confirmed receive these, but not all correspond fully to grace, so they may not be as visible or as developed in such a person. They would be latent, so to speak, but always capable of being fully restored.

Roberta’s natural gift as a counsellor, was no doubt increased greatly by the Gift of Counsel and made more spiritually effective within her. And so on with the other six Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

I hope this helps.

Carole

[quote=tkdnick]I once heard it explained like this…Find what truly makes you happy. The work that you just can’t get enough of and doesn’t seem like it’s “work” at all…That is where your spiritual gift is at. It’s this place work something seems natural to you and you enjoy that God has called you.

I can’t say that this is totally right, but maybe that’s a start.
[/quote]

I would have to beg to differ here, if I may.

Grace is built on nature, but not always.

Some gifts can cause one to be alienated at times and you only have to look to the Gospels and the OT to see that. A lot of prophets were beat up for their prophetic voice in the community.

Blessings,
Shoshana

[quote=Joysong]Aimee,

The Gift of Counsel is one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit that we receive when we are confirmed. As we grow in sensitivity to Him, and our growth in virtue increases, we will become more able to manifest these gifts…
Carole

[/quote]

This is a great thread!

I am new to the Catholic faith… actually to faith in general.

I wasn’t even aware that there were specifically seven gifts. I will have to look into this for sure.

I have always known that God gives every one of us special talents and gifts, but I thought that was just a broad speculation.

I don’t have a clue what my gifts may be. Could someone tell me what the seven are?

Thank you for this topic:)

Malia

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.