Do you like jazz?

i love it. i haven’t always listened to it. but i like diana krall,. a fellow canadian and jazz singer. she has one of the most amazing voices in the world of jazz that i ever heard. jazz is relaxing to the aches and pains of the mind and body. it soothes the soul. do you like jazz? what do you like about it?

I like some kinds of jazz. I don’t know enough about it to say what’s what. But some is good for general background. Some is good for hot summer nights. It has to be the right kind of jazz for the situation or it’s annoying.

I love syncopation. I really don’t like any style of music that doesn’t have at least some syncopation.

I grew up on hard rock and loved it for years and years. Would never be caught dead listening to anything else but then slowly I rock music to be getting annoying. One day I decided to try another kind of music. My first thoughts were to try classical but I didn’t enjoy it. Then I stumbled upon a lite jazz station and I found that I absolutely loved it. That happened to me just last year. On my last birthday I turned 52 and wonder about the change in music preference. Does this just happen when you’re getting older? I try to still listen to rock music once in a while but still find it annoys me.
Johannah

no idea but when i got older, i found that almost all music i used to listen to drives me nuts. jazz doesn’t. here’s one of the songs i like from diana krall.

youtube.com/watch?v=V-a_cCBzXRg

In 1971, when I was 18, I went into a record store in East Lansing, Mich. (I was a freshman at MSU), and they were playing “Africa Brass” by John Coltrane - I had never heard anything like it, and was completely blown away. I bought that album, and have been a jazz fanatic ever since.

I have been lucky enough to have seen many of the greats in concert in my life - Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Gary Burton, Pat Martino, Keith Jarrett, and Fredie Hubbard.

I agree that Diana Krall is great - both an excellent singer and pianist - if you like jazz vocals, try Tierney Sutton or Mark Murphy.

I have a large jazz collection, and when I was in college, used to be music director of our campus station and have my own show, and also wrote for a jazz publication. If you can give me an idea of what you like, I’be be glad to recommend artists you might like.

An early boyfriend bought me ‘Kind of Blue’ and I’ve never looked back - if it hadn’t been for God being God, Miles might have been.:cool:

Of the singers I’d vote for Cassandra Wilson with a nod towards Jill Scott.

I love Jazz, and am lucky to live in a city with some really talented musicians.

I am really into freestyle Jazz. Here are some of my favs.

The Bad Plus

youtube.com/watch?v=RNPKaXrVLSE

youtube.com/watch?v=sX_Iij8Eyts

Happy Apple

youtube.com/watch?v=jgCh8RBOKMY

It’s probably a flaw in my taste, but jazz has always seemed to me like the sound of intellectual insecurity. I’ve nothing against complicated music or pieces that take skill to play, but so much jazz music seems designed to assert the musician’s abilities–“Serious musician over here!”–than to address what the piece requires. I say a serious musician isn’t that desperate to impress his seriousness upon you. The problem’s worst with varieties of “bebop” (Coltrane, Davis, Parker, Marsalis, ad nauseam), but seems pretty widespread across other types of jazz.

Jazz is about the last form of music I would apply the word ‘serious’ to in that way – well, okay, behind funk, calypso, reggae, and soul. It’s not about ‘yeah, I’m that good’ but ‘let’s get a good thing going and keep it up’. It’s a communal effort: Miles Davis would’ve been just another (really, really good) trumpeter without his band.

I love the classics – Davis, as mentioned, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, and so on – but haven’t really gotten into more modern stuff yet, besides a little Medeski, Martin, and Wood.

I find that jazz has the freedom, yet the structure, to enable a certain exploration and open hearted passion which is not entirely attainable in other idioms. It’s sort of an everyman’s music where something can be found for anyone’s interests, at some level. It has the ability to take up other stylistics and rejuvinate them in unique expression ever new. It’s contains within it the power to stir the human presence.

I love Dave Brubeck and vocalists like Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Torme, and Sarah Vaughn – but never found more modern instrumental jazz accessible. I wish I did because it seems cool, but I just don’t.

I’ll never forget seeing Miles Davis on TV in his latter years. He was wearing a gray sweatsuit, wandering around the stage, back mostly to the audience, tooting a random note here or there. No melody, no consecutive notes – it completely baffled me. It was nonsensical. I thought, “This is music?”

'thann

I have to agree that a lot of the more avant garde jazz is both inaccessible to the typical audience and often seems mere disorganized noise. When this is the primary exposure which people have to jazz it is no wonder that they come away not liking it.

If you are a Catholic who likes jazz, you might be interested in my music: see www.burkeingraffia.com

If you are a Catholic who likes jazz you might be interested in what I am doing down here in New Orleans.

See www.burkeingraffia.com

Of course, there is the amazing jazz guitarist, Fr. John Moulder:

johnmoulder.com/homebody.htm

I really like the “freestyle” sounding jams…when you have a great sax, bass, drummer and maybe guitar just jamming and playing from each others leads there is nothing better…great when they can go on for 20 minutes or more.
Generally, I don’t like very many Jazz singers…Louis Armstrong of course is an exception and maybe a couple others, but usually I just love the instrumentals.
Give me Coltrane anytime…and Charlie Christian was just awesome.
Some might be surprised that some of Frank Zappa’s stuff is some great Jazz too…Hot Rats album for example.

:cool:

That did not have the choice that expresses what I think - I strongly dislike:

[LIST]
*]jazz
*]pop music (all varieties)
*]rock (all varieties)
*]all that stuff, without any exceptions whatever[/LIST]- IMHO, it’s noisy, tuneless, barbaric, & decadent. And it seems to be everywhere. :eek: :slight_smile:

What is your definition of jazz?

Would you consider an Ella Fitzgerald or Mel Torme tune, for example, perhaps a Lionel Hampton solo or a Joabim song to be “noisy, tuneless, barbaric, & decadent”? What of an Ellington composition? Have you listened to the likes of Tierney Sutton or Fr. Moulder?

There are many types and expressions of jazz which differ in stylistic. Some appeal to people, others may not be appetible for others. Often there is something in the world of jazz which suits anyone’s tastes, however.

Weasels Ripped My Flesh is another great one. I was also lucky enough to have seen Frank & the Mothers in 1971 at Oakland University in Detroit, and they played Hot Rats and Flo & Eddie sang Happy Together. Zappa was a very underrated musician, besy known for novelty songs like Valley Girl.

Do like Pharoh Sanders & Eric Dolphy?

I went to high school with Bobby Previte, a great jazz drummer and composer.

My husband is a musician (double bass :slight_smile: ) and he explained it to me like this…the experimental stuff is, for the most part, music for musicians…a bit like abstract art is generally more appreciated by artists…the mainstream stuff is for us mere mortals whom are doomed only to listen and enjoy but never fully understand and participate. How was that? Baffling and nonsensical?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Has anyone heard the Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong collaborations…“Ella and Louis” and “Ella and Louis Again”? I like them very much indeed. :slight_smile: We chose their song “Our Love Is Here To Stay” as our wedding waltz. Another favourite is “Stompin’ At The Savoy” - so much fun!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.