Do You Love Westerns? Which Is Your Favorite?

I love my Westerns< especially the classic John Ford ones:
She wore a Yellow Ribbon
The Searchers
Rio Grande
Who shot Liberty Valance?

and many more. Which is your favorite? What makes it your favorite?:slight_smile:

Howdy little lady :tiphat: have to thank my Western-loving pa for passing on his genes to me.

Stagecoach (John Ford and John Wayne - what a combo!),
True Grit (the one John Wayne won the Academy award for),
Magnificent Seven,
most anything of Clint Eastwood, especially Pale Rider, the Outlaw Josey Wales and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

“Badges… We don’t need no stinking badges…!”

Aah, one of the great Western quotes of all time, right up there with ‘Shane … come back, come back Shane!’

“The Cowboys”… with John Wayne… a bunch of young boys thrust into a job & responsibility…
Mr. Nightlinger on entering the bunkhouse…“It smells of BOY in here…”

“True Grit”… John Wayne & Katherine Hepburn… A great non-love story that turns into one. “I see you with your shining eye, and your bear-like paws…”

(Yeah, I like the “Duke”…)

The Searchers was probably the best.

I really enjoy watching Butch cassiday and the Sundance Kid,
losely based on fact, I like the chemistry between Newman and Redford.

Oh, can’t believe I forgot Butch … the last line before they get killed is just brilliant - ‘for a moment there I thought we were in trouble!’

“The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly” is not only my favorite “western”, but, in my opinion, the best movie ever made.

I don’t particularly like “The Duke”, but “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance” is 2nd on my list of the best movies ever made (yeah, I REALLY!! like westerns).

Tombstone w/ Val Kilmer.

Blazing Saddles.

Hedley Lamar: "It’s Hedley Lamar."
Gov. LaPetomaine: “What are you worried about? This is the 1890’s, you can sue her.”

Waco Kid: “So tell me, how did a dazzling urbanite like you end up in a rustic setting like this?”

Sherrif: “Candygram for Mongo. Candygram for Mongo.”

Waco Kid (to Sherrif): “I wouldn’t do that. If you shoot him (Mongo) you’ll just make him mad.”

Sherrif: "Are we awake?"
Waco Kid: "It depends. Are we black?"
Sherrif: "Yes, we’re black."
Waco Kid: “Then we’re awake.”

“Let’s play chess!” :thumbsup:

I agree, but High Noon is pretty darn good too.

There’s nothing like a good spaghetti western. My all-time favs:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
and
Once Upon a Time in the West – the only movie I can think of where Henry Fonda played a bad guy.

I have yet to see an Eastwood western I didn’t love… High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider especially.

Tampopo is also great, even if it’s only a quasi-western (in a postmodern Japanese-food-obsession sort of way). It’s hilariously offbeat, and its general message seems to be ‘people are really weird about food’. The plot more or less follows two truckers who take it on themselves to educate the widowed owner of a small noodle shop on How To Make The Greatest Ramen, with lots of small subplots and totally disconnected vignettes, framed by the story of a gangster who really doesn’t like other people eating while he’s trying to watch a movie.

Agreed !
I just love the music.
Frankie Lane song is awesome !

I would have to say “Pale Rider”…Eastwood, 'nuff said

Kathy

BLAZZING SADDLES is probably my favorite PARODY OF A GENRE,next to YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN for the Horror Genre.
But I forgot to mention that James Stewart made some excellent westerns as well Like:
Naked Spur
Broken Arrow
Bend of the River
Far Country

Love to read your favorites. Keep 'em coming!:thumbsup:

Big Jake 1971 John Wayne

Silverado 1985 Kevin Kline

I could watch either of these over and over and over again.

I wouldn’t know where to start. I could go on and on with just John Wayne movies.

I second the first post:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.