Do You Meditate on the Passion of Christ?

Many Saints have highly recommended doing so., and Jesus, himself has asked that souls do so as it’s very pleasing to him and fruitful for the soul. I don’t do it much, but think I would like to give it a try. Do you do this? What do you meditate on specifically? I don’t feel much emotion in prayer so feel guilt in a way when I try to do this. Has it been fruitful for you?

For me, yes it has. I’ve been able to really contemplate and grow spiritually by meditating on the Lord’s Passion. After realizing how much pain He suffered and endured for a sinner like me makes me grateful and helps to increase my devotion to our Lord.

God bless.

2 Likes

Any Gospel event offers a good opportunity to utilize Ignatian Spirituality and prayer methods. I’d suggest learning Ignatius’ concepts of meditation and contemplation and how to practice them. Of course I think effort put forth in meditating on any number of events in the life of the Lord is bound to bear fruit, and so it isn’t so much about the method as it is the effort to just do it.

1 Like

The Divine Mercy chaplet and the Sorrowful Mysteries are good ways to meditate on Jesus’ passion

4 Likes

I try very much to do so when I am saying the Rosary especially the Sorrowful Mysteries.

2 Likes

You can try praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, which is prayed on regular Rosary beads, or you can also try praying the Way/Stations of the Cross.

The Way/Stations can commonly be found in many Catholic Prayer books as a standard form of prayer, where you don’t even need to go into a church to pray them.

You can pray them at home for example, if you have a Crucifix and the prayers available to you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

http://www.ewtn.com/library/Montfort/LFCROSS.HTM

A Friend of the Cross is one chosen by God, from among thousands who live only according to their reason and senses, to be wholly divine, raised above mere reason and completely opposed to material things, living in the light of pure faith, and inspired by a deep love of the Cross.
A Friend of the Cross is an all-powerful king, a champion who triumphs over the devil, the world and the flesh in their three-fold concupiscence. He crushes the pride of Satan by his love of humiliations; he overcomes the greed of the world by his love of poverty; he retrains the sensuality of the flesh by his love of suffering.
A Friend of the Cross is one who is holy and set apart from the things that are visible, for his heart is raised above all that is transient and perishable, and his homeland is in heaven; he travels through this world like a visitor and a pilgrim, and, far from setting his heart on it, he looks on it with indifference and tramples it underfoot with contempt.
A Friend of the Cross is a glorious trophy gained by the crucified Christ on Calvary, in union with his holy Mother. He is a Benoni or Benjamin, a child of sorrow and of the right hand, conceived in the suffering heart of Jesus, born from his pierced side, and baptised in his blood. True to his origin, his life embraces the cross, and death to the world, the flesh, and sin, so as to live here below a life hidden with Christ in God.
In short, a perfect Friend of the Cross is a true Christ-bearer, or rather another Christ, so that he can truly say, “I live now not with my own life but with the life of Christ who lives in me.”

St. Louis De Monfort

1 Like

We should, without doubt, make at least a brief meditation daily, and the Passion of Christ and the Four Last Things are always fitting subjects at any time. However, few of us know well how to meditate properly, but we have Holy Scripture and many other pious books to guide us.

St. Alphonsus left us perhaps the definitive guide for meditation on the Passion with his outstanding book here: https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Passion_and_the_Death_of_Jesus_Chris.html?id=xscOAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false. If you wish to meditate upon the Passion, here is the best place to start.

Only when I have to - Tuesdays and Fridays for those who say their rosaries. Never look forward to it but I agree it is beneficial. Should be done regularly. (I am not claiming to be that regular on my rosaries these days…)

Yes, every time I pray the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary. St. Alphonsus Liguori also wrote two books called The Passion and the Death of Jesus Christ as well as The Glories of Mary - both of which are brimming with meditations and prayers on the Passion of Christ. Praying the Rosary daily and daily spiritual reading of these books has very fruitful

The divine mercy chaplet and the sorrowful mysteries are good times for this.
We usually don’t like to contemplate on this probably because, aside from the obvious of not wanting to think of such terrible things done to Our Lord, it also reminds us of the daily dying to ourselves that we are called to.
Here are some things to think about concerning the Crucifixion from a rosary prayer guide:
The 5 wounds of Jesus and the blood He shed on the Cross, His pierced Heart and the Cross upon which He was crucified, the nails and lance which pierced Him and the sponge of vinegar and gall given Him to drink, the shame and infamy of being crucified naked between two thieves, the compassion of His Holy Mother, His seven last words, His abandonment and silence, the affliction of the whole universe, His cruel and ignominious death, His taking down from the Cross and burial.
If it’s during the Rosary or another Marian devotion you could also think of the unbloody martyrdom Mary suffered at seeing her Son die in such a fashion, and the sorrow this would cause.

It is also beneficial to picture the Crucifixion of Jesus whenever we are tempted to sin.

Of course sometimes it is beneficial to just get lost in the amazingness of the Mysteries in a mystical way, without thinking about specifics, but avoiding the mistakes of the Quietists.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.