Do you own this Catholic bible?

I have a 'Good News Translation, Catholic Edition'

And the wording is very different. Is there something 'wrong' with it?

If there is I cant afford a new bible that is 'approved' :/

This one was on sale for around 18 dollars. :/

Help?

Hi Maria,
(Looks like a mod moved your thread. :))

Anyway, the GNT is not bad, and it includes all the books, which is a good thing. It's a modern translation, and some of them have some really good line drawings in them. There are generally very few notes, so there is little problem with n-C interpretations being hidden there.

Catholic Answers has a good article on this called Bible Translations Guide which concludes with "So, which Bible is the best? Perhaps the best answer is this: The one you’ll read." I agree completely. :thumbsup:

[quote="Maria1993, post:1, topic:312863"]

And the wording is very different. Is there something 'wrong' with it?

If there is I cant afford a new bible that is 'approved' :/

This one was on sale for around 18 dollars. :/

Help?

[/quote]

The Good News Translation, which is also called the Good News Bible, or Today's English Version, is, in fact, approved by the USCCB (usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/)

It is different language than you have heard in Mass, where we use the New American Bible, or what is used in theology and apologetics books, which frequently use other translations such as the Revised Standard Version. Personally, I'm not a fan of the GNT, but that is entirely a personal preference.

With that said, you know what the best translation of the Bible is? The one that *you *will read.

[quote="Aquila_Lucis, post:3, topic:312863"]
With that said, you know what the best translation of the Bible is? The one that *you *will read.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

The good news bible is a dynamic equivalence translation. This means that it is generally an easier read but loses some precision compared to a more direct word for word translation. I personally prefer the more direct approach as the dynamic approach may lose some of the nuance reflected in the orginal text. However the GNT is officially approved by the Catholic Church so it 'safe' to read and should contain all the books.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

It's a very good translation. I have it as leather bound:

[/quote]

It was translated independently of previous translations. And it used modern linguistics:

And the wording is very different.

[/quote]

No, not much and easy to spot. See: christianforums.com/t7396662-post59426876/#post59426876

There is a thread for discussing this version: christianforums.com/t7653202/ ... please bump that thread, they want ongoing discussion:

Is there something 'wrong' with it?

[/quote]

[quote="Lion777, post:5, topic:312863"]
The good news bible is a dynamic equivalence translation. This means that it is generally an easier read but loses some precision compared to a more direct word for word translation. I personally prefer the more direct approach as the dynamic approach may lose some of the nuance reflected in the orginal text. However the GNT is officially approved by the Catholic Church so it 'safe' to read and should contain all the books.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

[/quote]

I would say it goes beyond dynamic equivalence, and falls within the category of a paraphrase.

It may be OK from a devotional standpoint but for serious study I would stick with a more literal translation.

"OK from a devotional standpoint but for serious study I would stick with a more literal translation."

Yes. I looked up a dozen or so key bits, and would not use this translation to teach from in my Catechism class.

The Good News Bible, if it has the “Imprimatur” seal it means that it is approved by the Catholic Bishops as a Bible that contains the 73 Books relative to an actual Catholic Bible… my copy is todays English version 1992… it is modern English and may seem different then some other version… so far I’ve not encountered any anti-Catholic teachings in it so I would consider it to be acceptable read…

There are some free on-line Bibles that you can access (Vatican, USCCB) and here’s one I keep on my computer because it has a great search engine (Douay-Rheims–free download): zeitun-eg.org/

If you need an actual/physical Bible visit your local parish, ask the Pastor for a list of the best possible Bibles you could choose from (get affordable title) and get his permission to have me drop-ship it for you.

Maran atha!

Angel

The reason I can't read GNT.

46 Mary said,
“My heart praises the Lord;
47 my soul is glad because of God my Savior,
48 for he has remembered me, his lowly servant!
From now on all people will call me happy, (Luke 1 GNT)

46 And Mary said,
“My soul magnifies the Lord,
47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; (Luke 1 NRSV-CE)

Unfortunately no. We have a number of bible versions, with my personal favorite being the NASB. I still haven't found out which Catholic specific version to pick up, I really should do so sooner than later.

[quote="bauerice, post:10, topic:312863"]
The reason I can't read GNT.

46 Mary said,
“My heart praises the Lord;
47 my soul is glad because of God my Savior,
48 for he has remembered me, his lowly servant!
From now on all people will call me happy, (Luke 1 GNT)

46 And Mary said,
“My soul magnifies the Lord,
47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; (Luke 1 NRSV-CE)

[/quote]

...as I understand it the original text (Greek?) uses a term that means both happy and blessed... perhaps one of the site's linguists can expand on this... :juggle::juggle::juggle:

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.