Do you pray for the dead on All Soul's Dayor All Saint's Day?

Technically, I guess you are supposed to pray for them everyday of the year. But I was reading in my church bulleting that they are going to read the names of everyone who died within the last year on All Saint’s Day. Now isn’t this a little presumptious? Shouldn’t they be read on All Soul’s Day? Has the Catholic Church done away with purgatory?

The whole month of November is dedicated to the praying for the the souls in Purgatory. I suspect that the names are being read on All Saints Day because that is the First Sunday in November. It is probably being done on Sunday rather than on All Souls Day so as to reach the most people.

The reading is probably being done on All Saint’s Day because it is Sunday and so more people will be at church.

November is the month especially set aside to remember the holy souls in purgatory, but you can certainly pray for them any day or every day. remember also that the souls in purgatory are on their way to heaven. Purgatory is not rightly to be considered a place of judgment or punishment, but a place of cleansing for those preparing for heaven.

It’s not a place for judgment, but it is a place for punishment…

“That servant who knows his master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows.” (Luke 12:47-48)

Also:

“Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. I tell you the truth, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.” (Matthew 5:25-26)

“I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.” (Matthew 25:43)

:signofcross:

I pray for all of Gods Saints on All Saint’s Day; past, present and future. On All Soul’s Day I pray for all who have died in the Lord: regardless of when they died. One has only to tell me of a loved one or friend who has died and they will be included in the number. Praying is what I do; not asking the questions.

I was taught that All Saints is the day for the entire Communion of Saints…the Church Militant, the Church Suffering and the Church Triumphant. So on All Saints, we celebrate the saints in heaven; and we join with the saints in heaven in praying for our continued conversion and the souls in Purgatory.

On All Souls Day, we specifically pray for the Church Suffering.

…Going off topic a little…

What I have never liked is how the Spanish Dia de los Muertos is translated to Day of the Dead. It isn’t Day of the Dead, it’s All Souls Day. What I really prefer is that the missallettes translate All Souls Day as Dia de los Fieles Difuntos (Day of the Faithful Departed).

they are probably doing it this way because very few people will actually be in Church on All Souls’ Day, and they do want to remind the parish to pray for the deceased of the Parish. They are not canonizing them if they are asking prayers for their soul. relax.

You pray for the dead every time you go to Mass. If you want to have a conversation: when do the dead pray for us?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.