Do you pray the St Michael prayer in your parish?

I’m just listening to the CA Live radio show from June 23/14. An Anglican caller mentions praying the St. Michael prayer at mass and Patrick Coffin says they say that prayer at his parish. At what point of the mass is the prayer said? We don’t, and as far as I remember we never have.

Never heard it said anywhere here in Australia at any Parish.

Yes, all the parishes in our diocese are supposed to say it immediately after Mass (after the “Mass is ended…Thanks be to God!”) and before the closing hymn.

I’ve been to several parishes (to play piano), and they say the St. Michael Prayer. Our parish says it.

No, never heard it said at mass.

I’ve heard it in some parishes. They say it after the mass is over, right at the end. It seems like its an initiative of the people in the parish. I think its a good idea. Get rid of the devil.

Our parish says it at the same point Cat’s parish does, right after the end of Mass, and before the recessional.

We say it at our parish after the final Blessing of every Mass, daily Mass also, and have been saying it for more than 25 years. I know of several parishes that do the same around here but not sure if all do. Maybe you could suggest starting it at your parish. God Bless, Memaw

Only after the rosary before Mass (and then only if the leader remembers) Pastor didn’t want it after Mass (we say another prayer after Mass that COULD be said after communion with our Anima Christi prayer, however…)

After all Low Masses.

We don’t say it here in Alaska–which I think is sad. We have a semi-ridiculous “mission statement” we begin the mass with and I’d love to see it gone and the St. Michael prayer inserted as Father walks up the aisle instead. But I have little hope—

We pray the St Michael prayer after the Rosary at 4 Masses; Vigil Mass, and 3 Sunday Masses. We started praying the St Michael prayer at 11 AM Mass, and the other Masses started doing the same soon after.

Publically, we pray it as part of our Rosary before Mass and if you get there you can pray it. Privately I say it after every Mass I go to because we were asked and it is a part of my personal prayer life. You don’t need permission to do so. Just do it like the Nike commercial says.

Glenda

We say it after Mass. It is included in the Prayers after Low Mass.

I like the idea of praying it at the end of mass. I think I’ll suggest it to our pastor. Thanks everyone for your answers.

Yep, my parish does at the very end, right after the “Thanks be to God”.

According to this site, ***"This prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel, originally composed in Latin, was written by Pope Leo XIII in 1886. Between then and 1965, it was recited after every Low Mass at Pope Leo’s order.

In recent years, a number of parishes have begun reciting the prayer once more, and many individual Catholics have kept the practice up. Both Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI have urged the faithful to pray it daily, and especially after Mass."***

That’s great Suko, I didn’t know that. :slight_smile:

The only time we say it is at the end of the Rosary on Monday nights. We never say it in a Mass setting.

Yes, it is prayed after each Mass. It is also prayed after recitation of the Rosary.

Yes, after the blessing at all masses

We don’t say it here and I cannot understand why it was dropped in the first place. We need St Michael’s help. This prayer used to be said at the end of Mass too:

The Prayer for England

O Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God,
and our most gentle Queen and Mother,
look down in mercy upon England, your dowry;
and upon us all who greatly hope and trust in you.
By you it was that Jesus, our Saviour and our hope,
was given to the world; and he has given you to us
that we may hope still more.
Plead for us your children whom you received
and accepted at the foot of the cross. O sorrowful Mother,
intercede for our separated brethren that, with us,
in the one true fold, we may be united to the chief Shepherd,
the Vicar of your Son.
Pray for us all, dear Mother, that by faith fruitful in good works
we may be counted worthy to see and praise God,
together with you, in our heavenly home.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.