Do You Pray with your Spouse?

I would like to know how many of you married persons pray with your spouse. I’m single still, but I’ve always thought a marriage could be so much stronger and stabler when man and woman pray together and bring down God’s Grace on their marriage. I have a feeling that few married couples do this. Am I right? If you don’t do this? Would you like to? Why don’t you? If you do pray together, how has it impacted your marriage?

Thanks!!

Oh how I wish I could! My husband doesn’t believe in God, (I wouldn’t call him an atheist, but I do know that any mention of God makes him uncomfortable), so we don’t pray together.

However, I pray for him daily. Sometimes more than daily. St. Monica, St. Augustine, St. Rita, St. Jude hear from me constantly. BUT, I am CONFIDENT that one day my husband WILL pray with me. I just have to understand that it’s in God’s time, not mine. I can tell you this - once I seriously started praying for my husband daily, our relationship grew much stronger, so I KNOW my prayers are working. Not as fast as I’d like, but they’re working! :slight_smile:

I think it’s wonderful that you are thinking of this right now. I wish I had the foresight while dating and before I got married to take my faith that seriously. It didn’t happen until we started having babies and I wanted to raise them in the Church. Now, all three kids are in Catholic school and my husband will hopefully come around. St. Monica, pray for us!!

We do. But to be candid, I couldn’t tell you what impact it has had on our marriage, and I don’t want to fabricate anything.

We do, but started late in our marriage. Wish we had started before we were married - it would have been a help.

A relative decided to always read the Bible and pray with her date before going out. She married the one who loved it, and she joined the Church before their marriage. He was a saint - a lovely man. Sadly now deceased.

I Thank God He blessed me with a Wife I can pray with. We are both practicing Catholics, and we enjoy praying the Rosary together, we’ll break the Hail Marys and Our Fathers in half.

Lord have mercy on us all and help us all and bring all our spouses closer to You with us, so we may be One as You and the Father are One, Amen

My family never prayed together when I was young, so I’ve never felt comfortable praying out loud in front of people. My husband and I don’t have a specific family prayer time (we’ll start once we have our first child), but he will pray for something if I ask him to do so. I gave him a green scapular a few months ago, and I think that and our convalidation have brought him closer to the Church (he was lapsed). I don’t think we’re less close because we don’t pray together, but I’ve never experienced it so I guess I can’t really say for sure.

No. It seems like that would be incredibly awkward and uncomfortable. I pray privately and I don’t have any idea what my husband’s prayer life is like. I wouldn’t feel comfortable discussing it. It seems an exceedingly personal and private act, to me.

Well, in Tobit, it seems to work out pretty well, but I can relate somewhat to what you’re saying. I’ve heard that said before, but considering what the intimacy spouses already share, it seems to me that a deeper spiritual intimacy between them and God would be quite beneficial.

:crossrc::crossrc:

8:4 And after that they were both shut in together, Tobias rose out of the bed, and said, Sister, arise, and let us pray that God would have pity on us.

8:5 Then began Tobias to say, Blessed art thou, O God of our fathers, and blessed is thy holy and glorious name for ever; let the heavens bless thee, and all thy creatures.

8:6 Thou madest Adam, and gavest him Eve his wife for an helper and stay: of them came mankind: thou hast said, It is not good that man should be alone; let us make unto him an aid like unto himself.

8:7 And now, O Lord, I take not this my sister for lust but uprightly: therefore mercifully ordain that we may become aged together.

8:8 And she said with him, Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.