Do You Prefer Whole Wheat Hosts or White Hosts?

Do you prefer whole wheat or white hosts? Why?

There was no, “Really don’t care,” option. :shrug:

Whole wheat is probably the better sign. White are probably better for communion on the tongue because they dissolve more easily.

There are two types? :confused:

I pay so little attention to that sort of thing that I had no idea there were different kinds.

There are several.

There are those made of fine ground wheat, and those of coarse ground.

Those of flour from whole wheat, and from wheat that is without the bran. And from wheat that has been bleached.

And, of course different varieties of wheat, which have different levels of gluten. And low-gluten hosts which are made from a low-gluten wheat flour, and then worked very little, so as to not convert the other precursors into gluten.

And thats before you look at what’s in use in the Eastern Churches… both those of the Orthodox and those in communion with Rome.

The Byzantine Prosphora is wheat, water, and yeast, tho’ some recipes allow a bit of salt… but that’s normally a round loaf, and it’s cut into pieces by the priest as part of preparation of the gifts.

And while not in Catholic use, there are leavened hosts used in the Antiochian Orthodox and Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia in their “western rite” liturgies. Which said, the leavened hosts would be valid but illicit for Roman use.

My personal preference is whole wheat prosphora… :byzsoc:

Either way (when you consume it) its Jesus, right? :smiley:

Woah, I didn’t know that there are different type of hosts.

Anyways, I’ll pick the white hosts. I grown up seeing white hosts consecrated during every Mass since I was a little boy, the wgite colour make it easier for me to concentrate the presence of Jesus in it(Divinity=White) and I think white hosts are easier to be consumed(dissolved) in mouth.

Yeah, but I think whole wheat has more body. :wink:

Whole wheat in the Byzantine tradition is forbidden…only the purest of white flour with bran removed is to be used, with leavening, water and salt. (I know the Ruthenians frown on salt).

I am pretty sure 99.999% of Catholics couldn’t care less and never before bothered to think about the difference.

The wine is pretty good, and I don’t typically like wine. Maybe God makes it taste good to me just for communion. :wink:

I’ve never recieved any host that made me say, “Mmmm! Yummy. I’d like a box of those for my Christmas party.” The point is, they’re Jesus. They all taste like “ehh”.

I like whole wheat. I also like granola. But no one accuse me of being a flaming liberal!

Oh? Do you have a reference? Whole wheat flour is routinely used to make prosphora in my Ruthenian parish.

rye,lightly toasted. smear of cream cheese.

Sorry, I can’t vote in this poll because I need the third option which isn’t provided - I don’t care what kind of host is used.

Personally, I prefer white, but does it matter?

Nah. I’m more concerned with the fact I was shocked at YoungTradCath saying “flaming” as if it were an expletive. (I’ve been reading Wheel of Time where it actually is an expletive…)

I prefer Jesus. :smiley:

-Tim-

I must be missing something. I am 77 years old and have never seen, or even heard of a Whole Wheat Host being used in the Roman Catholic Church. I was always under the impression that such things were forbidden, and that the Host could be made only from white wheat flour and water, and like matzoh, had to be baked immediately after the water was mixed with the flour before any natural yeasts could cause levening of the batter. At least that is what I was taught by the Jesuits as a boy.

No, the only requirement is that they be made of wheat – whole wheat is perfectly acceptable. They don’t readily dissolve and usually have to be chewed. Were you also taught that that was forbidden? I was, but learned in my late 30s that that was simply a pious practice and not Church teaching.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.