Do you read the Bible daily? Where to start?

I want to get into the habit of reading the Bible daily. Sure, as many Catholics do, I read the daily readings, but that is it. How do I get in the habit of actually reading the Bible every day? And where should I start? I want to read the entire Bible, but am not sure which book(s) would be a good place to start.

Thanks

Check out the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology. I always find it best to study along with a curriculum of sorts. I get more from it then and it keeps me on track.

Try joining a Bible Study Group if your Parish has one available. Great place to start. Also if your Diocese give a Bible Study Program; join up.

I started reading it in January from the very beginning. Very hard going indeed! A bit every day. Missed out Chronicles now on Jeremiah

I read the Bible every day – I have “The One Year Bible - Catholic Edition” and it is arranged in 365 daily readings – each day usually has something from the Old Testament – then something from the Psalms – Acts of the Aposltles -Epistles - and then the Gospel. I usually read it at night before I turn out the light.

A parish level bible study can be good or not so good. Ours is conducted by a retired high school teacher. All he does is reads the introduction to each book in the NAB Study Bible. He selects a text from each book, without further explanation. Then, we wrap up the hour by reading the footnotes for that excerpt. <== Notice, there is nothing here that a person couldn’t do by themselves at home.

I think this is actually an impediment to Bible study, because it goes much slower than I would read at my normal pace.

Things depend on your budget for Bible study.

For the Old Testament, I’d recommend that you read in parallel: The NAB or RSV-2, Catholic edition, The Hebrew Study Bible (Oxford U. Press), and The Orthodox Study Bible (which gives you the english translation of the Septuagint. If you really have some bucks to throw around, get all the Jewish Publication Society commentaries that you can afford.

“Study” bibles have their limitations. A commentary on each book (is more expensive but) gives you more in-depth explanations.

You will get a lot of different recommendations around this website, but mine are focused on you reading by yourself along with a commentary – which is what the Pontifical Biblical Commission recommends. They also endorse using Jewish commentaries, allowing for their biases, they are “first class” study tools.

DON’T SPEED. take your time reading the Bible. There’s more on every page than meets the eye. Read the commentaries to get an idea of wgat’s going on there.

I think the writings of the New Testament are a totally different style than the OT, so I wouldn’t recommend mixing up the two testaments.

Perhaps the “great adventure” series by Jeff Cavens (ewtncatalogue.com) may be good for you, too.

Hmmmm…where to start? Why begin at the Beginning in Genesis of course.

Good luck and happy reading. Be warned though…it was after reading a Bible cover to cover literally like a novel that I knocked on the Rectory door and asked to be Baptized. Reading the Bible can be hazardous to your comfort zone!!!

Glenda

Yes I do. I found what worked for me was to start reading the Old Testament from Genesis, while also reading the New Testament from Matthew. I wasn’t worried about trying to get it done in a year, or any set amount of time, but just to read and savor it.

After reading through much of it, only then did I begin to actually study the Bible. Studying seemed easier having a better base knowledge of scripture.

All along, I was reading the daily mass readings, and keep things in context, I would include the entire chapter the readings came from, and the entire Psalm.

Now, opening to the daily readings first thing in the morning, and using the readings for the basis of my morning prayer, has become as natural as having morning coffee.

If I read, ponder, and pray the scripture first thing in the morning, I seem to get more out of it…the daily news, I can read or listen to on the fly…it just seems better for me not to just squeeze scripture in when I get a chance, but to have a block of uninterrupted, quiet time for the Bible.

Good luck…it is going to change your life!

Having now reached Jeremiah i seem to be getting a bit more understanding from some of the writings. I would like to learn more though as a lot of it is way over my head.

I would like to buy a book on the daily mass readings. Would a weekly missal be right for that or would i need a different book?

I have read the Bible cover-to-cover four times.

I recommend a good overview study like The Bible Timeline by Jeff Cavins/Great Adventure. It will give you an overview of the entire Bible, explain who the prophets are, how different books relate to each other and put everything into context.

I cannot recommend this study enough. I have led this study in my home twice as well as three other Jeff Cavins studies. The cost is not high if you split the DVD’s between a half dozen people or get the parish to sponsor part of it.

-Tim-

I read scripture and pray daily that my understanding will deepen and my walk grow stronger.

I usually choose a topic of study…or I pick a book and read through the book…taking notes and then seeking to understand the historical setting, who wrote the passage, for what purpose, how does it apply to me today.

Take baby steps…pick a book out of the NT and read a chapter a day then go from there.

Just start reading. On my first attempt to read the whole bible, I made it to the books of Chronicles but then I got confused and bored. I then bought a book written by Jeff Cavins and Tim Gray, “Walking with God” and I found a connection with all the books in the bible.

I then started again from Genesis and all of a sudden the bible is more interesting and I understand better, and now I’m in the book of Esther (following the order in the New American Bible). I read whenever I can. Even when I have a break at work, instead of reading sports, news or other articles, I go to the Vatican website (www.vatican.va) and I read the bible that’s posted there (I read it in Spanish but there’s an English version as well). I find that a digital or e-book type of bible is good for me. I read everywhere on my cell phone (thank God for smart phones :). Also, when I go to the store, I don’t get mad anymore when there’s a line. I look forward for a line to pay at Wal-Mart so that I can read a little bit more.

My suggestion is this.

1. Begin with the New Testament since it has more similarities to us in our times than the Old Testament.

2. Read freely. Open the scripture to whatever page it opens up to and read

3. Read to immerse. Try not to fully understand scriptures. Just allow it to enter your heart.

4. Join a Bible study class at your nearby Church:bible1::heart:

I would start with the Gospels and work your way out from there. I just got a copy of the Orthodox Study Bible, and the great thing about it is that even the footnotes to the OT are very Christological. Everything in the Bible points towards Christ as its ultimate fulfillment, and the lens through which it’s understood. I try to put myself in the scene I’m reading, how things might have looked, smelled, sounded…

I just finished the four Gospels in sequence and I’m reading through the Acts of the Apostles now.

Acts is exciting, there’s a lot going on!

My completely arbitrary “you should really ask your priest” bible study program:

I would say the Gospels are the cornerstone of any scriptural study program. After those, read Acts.

From there, I would read Genesis, Exodus, and Job.

Leviticus, and Numbers and Deuteronomy to a lesser extent, can be challenging to get through, but those three will prepare you for the Historical books that are full of great stories and lessons. In particular, Joshua, Judges, and Kings.

The OT Prophets presage the coming of Christ and provide a good segue into the NT epistles. Try Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel.

The NT epistles can be difficult but offer great wisdom into the very early life of the Church and the problems that the first Christians faced. Try Hebrews and Romans.

While you’re doing all this, regularly return to Psalms and Proverbs, an endless fountain of prayer and wisdom, both. There are other books of wisdom too, like Ecclesiastes or Wisdom of Solomon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.