Do you really believe its a mortal sin to miss mass on Sunday and make sure you go to confession

Yes I like this attitude . ! Self awareness

The question was brought up about how God can love us but force us to do His will by going to Mass, etc. However, in response to this, let me ask this question: if your child wanted to go play with a ball out in the middle of a busy street, would you let him do this without even telling him that it is dangerous?

I think every parent reading this (and even single people) will say that it is far better for that child that we tell him of the danger and then forbid him to play in the street. Apply this principle to what the church teaches. Love sometimes means chastising and forbidding a few things.

Now, having said all that, you are still free to choose. If you want to play in the street, go right ahead, just be warned of the results…

Yes, its a sin not to go to mass on Sunday and Holy Days of obligation. If you have a valid reason it’s not.

If you plan to miss mass,with the intention of going to confession because u will be forgiven anyway, that’s the sin of presumption.

I stopped reading at ridiculous , i am well aware of all church declarations , nothing you stated is any kind of answer. you decided to focus on one analogy instead of trying to understand the logic of what I was saying, which does make sense, but like i said i already understand the churches answer, the answers the church always give to such things are basically a because i said so type of answer, and then when that doesnt tread water it becomes an answer of have faith. neither of which are of any consolation.

cheers.

I liked your answer. Because it required spiritual decernment.

The obligation to attend Mass is a requirement of Jesus. Now if one understands that Jesus and His Church are One and the Same then yes the Church does teach that.

Jesus said…‘if you love me you will obey my commandments’.

one first has to properly define the word Church and the context of the word itself, to flat out say Jesus made it a requirement for everyone to gather together on holy days of obligation and on Sunday in worship is just not true.
It is a nice and good thing to do, but Jesus never made it a requirment.

exactly almost2; it wasn’t a negative or evil or blashpmeous question . statement that i posed.
An it does require more than just the generic answers people on here give. even though those answers are from official church rules/ teachings.

It’s a sin. I never miss mass unless I’m really sick. I’d even drive an hour to mass in Dublin if I miss the local mass.

one first has to properly define the word Church and the context of the word itself

The Church that Jesus founded, the Catholic Church

to flat out say Jesus made it a requirement for everyone to gather together on holy days of obligation and on Sunday in worship

Like I said if one understands that Jesus and His Church are One and the Same.

but Jesus never made it a requirment.

So says you.

Ahh yes, the weather. Although, technically, that does fall under “health”…since one driving or walking in bad conditions is generally dangerous to health.

Very well stated.

Binding a loosening applies to Rules? The context applies only to Sins:
https://www.catholic.com/qa/what-do-the-words-bind-and-loose-mean-in-matthew-1619
Why do people make stuff up?

Someone had asked for the Catechism reference. It’s #2181. It says that deliberately failing in the obligation to attend Mass is considered a grave sin.

So, missing Mass deliberately means it’s a grave sin. Does that make it mortal? NO. We then must have the other two conditions for making it mortal: we must know it’s a mortal sin and we still choose to do it anyway.

So, in answer to the OP, if all three conditions are present, then, yes, it’s a mortal sin. If any one of those items are missing, then it’s a venial sin.

This isn’t exactly right. Missing Mass on a Sunday or a holy day is only mortally sinful if one does it with full knowledge of the gravity of the sin, and with full consent of the will in spite is that knowledge. If either of those conditions are not present, the sin is not mortal. It remains a grave and serious sin, and one should confess the sin asap. But if the sin did not meet the conditions of mortal, then sanctifying grace is still in the soul and one can present themselves for Holy Communion.

To the OP’s post: Yes, it is always a grave sin to not to attend Mass on a Sunday or Holy Day without just cause. This is a great sin against the virtue of Justice, by which we render to God what is rightfully his, namely worship. It is also a rebellion against the Church which has vested authority, from Christ, to require you to attend the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

To put a fine pin on it: It is a sin worse than murder, because it is directly related to God.

I would like to go to a mass if they would observe Sabbath. The commandment is to remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Why would you insist that it is a mortal sin not to honor the first day of the week or any other for that manner? God set it up. To claim authority to alter what God has ordained seems more of a mortal sin. We are seeing the same thing taking place in the redefining of marriage. I like the way they did it in the first century. They gathered daily! That’s what draws me to the CC. I would rather spend my free time with those who love the Lord than even family who scorn Him. It is perplexing. BTW if you get to dialog with PJM you’re truly blessed. He is kind, thoughtful, considerate, genuine soul.

Depends on the reason: health, location, access, transportation can be valid reasons for not getting to Mass. The first missionaries must have missed a lot of Masses!

This is one of the most ridiculous slanders against the Church because it clearly betrays any knowledge of the Sabbath, the Mosaic Law, or the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

The Sabbath and the Mass are not the same thing. I know the modern world, thanks in no small part to Protestantism, has largely done away with any significance in the Lord’s Day and the Mass, but it remains that the Mass is the only way to offer proper sacrifice to God and it is done on Sunday because that is the day Christ rose from the dead. It has been offered on Sunday since the very first Easter Sunday and was continued by the Apostles after the Ascension of Our Lord and has been ever since.

The Sabbath was the day set aside for Jews to offer prayer and worship to God once per week. The Mass is the re-presentation of Christ’s perfect offering of Himself to the Father for the forgiveness of sins. It is, as the Church says, the source and summit of the Christian life. It is the most holy and efficacious thing a Christian can do. It is offered on Sunday in rememberance of the Resurrection of Christ and His victory over death.

To say “the Church changed the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday” is just flatly nonsensical because they’re not the same thing. The Sabbath is Jewish Mosaic observance which is not to be observed by Christians because the Mosaic law has been fulfilled in Christ.

The Church has the authority to set the date of mandatory attendance of the Mass because of her power to bind and loose (Matthew 18). Binding and loosing is a Hebrew phrase which roughly means the authority to allow or forbid things. It is by this administrative authority that Christ gave His Church which allows Her to determine when the appointed day of worship is. If She determines it is Sunday, then that’s the day it will be. Bound here on earth, as well as in Heaven.

Please research this issue because to make such an accusation betrays a lack of knowledge of the topic.

God Bless

I am truly amazed at some of the responses here. We don’t get to make this stuff up if our situation doesn’t quite fit the prescribed rules.

It is grave matter to not attend Mass and most likely a mortal sin if all three conditions are met. There are valid reasons to miss Mass already set out, being ill, caring for one who is ill, employment doesn’t allow for fulfilling the obligation, or bad weather making it impossible to get to church.

This is NOT Catholic teaching. It is not OK to miss every six weeks or so. What obligation could one have that was more important than Mass. Having visitors over is not a good excuse to miss Mass. Vacations and hiking trips are not good reasons. We don’t have to pray about it, we know the obligations.

that was a pathetic response. The Sabbath was set aside at creation. And you should really reread my response as it was nothing derogatory against yor church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.