Do you really believe its a mortal sin to miss mass on Sunday and make sure you go to confession

Why is Deliberately missing mass on Sunday a mortal sin?

While this following scripture from Hebrews, doesn’t mention
• Mass
• Sunday
• Eucharist
• Mortal sin for deliberately missing Mass

Anybody can see what is being described and what they are doing when they meet,

Heb 10:
19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way which he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful; 24 and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. 26 For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful prospect of judgment,and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries. 28 A man who has violated the law of Moses dies without mercy at the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment do you think will be deserved by the man who has spurned the Son of God, and profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and outraged the Spirit of grace?30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Unpacking that

deliberate Failure to meet on the Day, is already a sin with huge consequences
"the Day" = the LORD’S DAY / Sunday/ the Day Our Lord Resurrected
“sacrifice for sin”, & “blood of the covenant” = the words Our Lord spoke instituting the
Eucharist
Matthew 26:28 , https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mt+26%3A28&version=RSVCE
Mark 14:24 , https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+14:24&version=RSVCE

i.e. They are celebrating the Mass
those who deliberately fail to celebrate Mass (the Eucharist) on Sunday ?
◦there no longer remains for Them, a sacrifice for sin
◦They Spurn the Son of God
◦They outrage the spirit of grace
◦a fearful prospect of judgement awaits Them
◦and a fury of fire will consume these adversaries
THAT describes a mortal sin

Since I often go to the Saturday Vigil Mass, I guess you might say I am also keeping the Sabbath!

Technically Sabbath is sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday. The “Lord’s Day” Sunday, the day of resurrection of Our Lord, is sundown Saturday, to sundown Sunday.

So one meets the Sunday obligation at the Saturday vigil

I don’t make stuff up.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08631b.htm

Its always a sin is what you teach children.

I personally do not think missing Mass one Sunday will send you to hell so I guess I don’t think that it rises to a mortal sin…that being said, I teach that it could be a mortal sin (3 conditions) and I would never receive communion if I “missed Mass” until I went to confession, of the off chance I am wrong.

I consider Communion very seriously and there was I time I attended Mass faithfully for over ten years but was unable to receive because of an internal conflict over birth control. I follow/accept the Church’s teachings over personal beliefs.

Wow 10 years is a long time to be in conflict.
It must be nice that is over with

“Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy”.

I believe that’s the first part of what the Third Commandment states. Is it not a mortal sin to willingly break any of the Ten Commandments? Is there anything on earth holier than the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass?

Yes, that is what I was taught as a child (and as an adult) and only once in my life did I ever deliberately miss a Sunday or Holy Day Mass. In that instance I did go to confession before the next Sunday.

Of course I knew the 3 conditions for a mortal sin. But it seems that we have become too ready to use those conditions as excuses. If we know it’s a grave matter and we deliberately do it anyway, the conditions are met.

Yes i do believe its a mortal sin because to me it would be an act of denying my belief/faith/reverence/obligation for God.

I do believe it’s a mortal sin, but I try not to worry too much simply because I know I tend to err on the side of overthinking. (When you’re contemplating whether not walking 6 miles over ice in the dark was a mortal sin, you’re overthinking.)

Jesus is Lord.
We celebrate the Resurrection on Sunday for Jesus rose from the dead on a Sunday. Sort of how we do penance (ie abstain from meat) on Friday because Jesus suffered the passion and died on a Friday.

There was a WHOLE NEW CREATION through Jesus’ Resurrection. It is the 8th Day, of course we celebrate using the command given by GOD HIMSELF to the Jews in the 10 Commandments. Except, instead of the Sabbath of the Jews, which the Bible says we aren’t to be judged by upholding, we serve the heart of this Law on Sunday.
It is better to meet all the days of the week, however Sunday is particularly special as it marks the renewal of Creation and the Resurrection.
Missing this little requirement without an actual, good reason like dire illness is grave matter.
The Holy Ghost still inspires the Church in Her infallible decrees.

People have already mentioned the times when there are extenuating circumstances, and that’s fair enough, I have missed Mass myself occasionally. However, those of us living in places where we are free to worship and have churches within easy distance are blessed. There are many Catholics in the world who have to worship in secret or travel many miles for Mass, in dangerous circumstances.

Let’s give thanks for our good fortune.

Yes. Even the old hardline Monsignor Pastor of my original parish would give a pass for that one.

Grave matter, yes.

The danger is that if you miss mass once without caring about it, you’ll easily do it a 2nd time, 3rd time and before you know it Jesus is out of your life and you hardly go anymore at all.

Missing mass with a good reason, sickness, emergencies, whatever, that can always happen, only you can know whether you’re lying about it or not.

Missing mass on Sunday (provided you do not go to an equivalent mass as a Sunday mass on Saturday, or that you do not have a special dispensation from your priest or other one invested with the proper authority) is a sin if it can be avoided. It helps you and is to your think but I would not say it is “about” you, it is about Christ. If you miss it, it is a mortal sin if done willingly and with knowledge that it is grave matter, and receiving communion the next time you go to Mass without first going to confession or having a perfect contrition, of which the desire to go to confession is part, (a perfect contrition is quite possibly difficult to achieve; err on the side of caution and go to confession as soon as possible, and do not take the Eucharist until this occurs), then that too is mortally sinful and a grave offense. Do not miss mass. What is more important than Christ? Is it not the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist? If Jesus were coming to town would we not make sure to be there? Well, He is, and He is at mass.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.