Do you say a prayer for the non-receiving person next to you?

I noticed at the Vigil Mass today that the person sitting next to me did not get up to receive Communion. After I received Communion and returned to kneel at the pew, I said a silent prayer for her. She may have not been Catholic, or she may be going through RCIA, or maybe she’s just their with family, but in any case, I felt compelled to say a prayer for her. As a convert myself, it just felt right. Do you say a prayer for the person next to you if you notice that person is not receiving for whatever reason?

That never occurred to me. But as a non-receiving person, thank you!! Prayers like that must help because I will be receiving soon and I know it can’t be me.

Tonight, I didn’t receive, because I was unsure if I was in a state of grace. ALL Catholics, if they have even so much as a doubt as to whether they are in a state of grace should NOT receive until they can get to confession.

So, sometimes, it’s also that or a lot of scenarios.

In fact, many of us receive, unworthily, at times. That’s, not so obvious, but of just as much concern.

During mass I sometimes pray for all the people at mass or for some people there.
I never thought that a person not going to communion has a problem, so, actually, the idea of praying for them never crossed my mind. On occasion I myself have forgotten about fasting an hour before communion and didn’t go because I just ate something.
But maybe God inspired you to pray for that person. And praying for other Catholics there is a good thing and good for you if this caused this to do this.

We all need prayers. But, the one who you didn’t see go up for Holy Communion could be an orthodox Catholic who, for whatever reason, didn’t make it to confession. The ones who need our prayers more are the ones who go up for Holy Communion despite knowing they are in a state of mortal sin which, if the polls are correct, is the majority of Catholic Americans. :frowning:

All need our prayers. It is presumptuous to assume that someone not receiving Communion at a particular Mass is more in need of prayer than others.

the majority of Catholic receiving are in a state of mortal sin ? :rolleyes:

I have never paid any attention to the person next to me – whether s/he receives or not. Just too “involved” in my own awareness of my Receiving and the event that . . . wow! He is with me!!! freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy053.gif [So happy I’m “Singing in the Rain” like in the movie!] However, I do say a prayer for all those who have not received. I am a “cradle” Catholic and my family goes way back as Catholics. I think this is something that was inculcated as a very young child – not looking around and not really paying attention to others. However, being aware of someone else’s need and helping if able. Difficult to explain.

In America, the polls say that the majority of Catholics, even those who attend Mass regularly, believe in abortion and so-called same-sex “marriage”. If these polls are true I would answer yes to your question if we are talking about the USA and since the line for Holy Communion is always a lot longer than the line to the confessional.

I will often pray for all those attending the Mass, and the parish members. I will almost always pray for those in line for Confession with me!

I don’t believe that at all. The majority of Catholics I know, especially those that attend Mass regularly, do NOT believe in abortion and same sex marriage. Even as a non-participating/fallen-away Catholic over the last few years, I didn’t agree with that poll. Let’s remember that most of these public polls are by the same media reporting incorrectly on our Pope.

Perhaps it depends on the parish. There are many that lean strongly to the left. My regular parish has an altar rail and is orthodox and traditional. But we went to Mass at a different one recently, and it was so radically different from what we are now used to that it almost felt like we had gone to a Protestant service. It was then that I could imagine how the Catholic Americans in the 1960’s must have felt a shock when all the radical changes to the liturgy first happened.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.