Do you support Israel or Palestine?

On that we can agree, only smaller states far away can pretend to be anything approaching neutral.

I propose a 3rd state solution. Deus Vult!

Israel, of course. It’s their land, their nation, and their right.

And, of course, since there is no “Palestine”, that narrows the choices down considerably.

You are '‘bowing before numbers’ there to borrow from the late Olaf Stapledon, size is not equivalent to influence and Israel and the area there is at a point where it intersects with the crossroads of numerous civilisations and faiths and you simply cant ‘do away with’ that as for better or worse those civilisations and faiths have influenced all of us posting here.

We are not living in 1095. The Kingdom of Jerusalem was hardly an unqualified success either and was prone to takeover bids and wars with other Christian monarchies (many of whom made alliances at times with Muslims states or leaders).

Then may I suggest getting informed and to do so with unbiased sources.

America has given untold millions if not billions of dollars in aid to the Palestinian Authority.

I bet you’re a blast at parties.

All land belongs to God, we are all temporary custodians.

Leviticus 19
33 " 'When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. 34 The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.
Ezekiel 47
21 “You are to distribute this land among yourselves according to the tribes of Israel. 22 You are to allot it as an inheritance for yourselves and for the foreigners residing among you and who have children. You are to consider them as native-born Israelites; along with you they are to be allotted an inheritance among the tribes of Israel. 23 In whatever tribe a foreigner resides, there you are to give them their inheritance,” declares the Sovereign LORD.

Leviticus 24
You are to have the same law for the alien and the native-born. I am the LORD your God.

Exodus 22:21
"Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him, for you were aliens in Egypt.

Leviticus 19:10
Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God.

No doubt the US will be handing back it’s constituent states to the various monarchies and republics that originally owned them in light of this. Israel was created in part via guerrilla war with the Israelis using methods they adapted from a variety of sources, including many they borrowed from the IRA and indeed they approached members of that for training during the conflict at points which is ironic considering the views taken towards Israel some years later in Ireland in Irish republican circles.

I find using my manners pays dividends there as elsewhere. If you could confine your comments to my posts rather than personal remarks it would be very much appreciated.

Why would they? They either bought or conquered them.

The reason Israel has a claim to the land is because they were able to enforce their claim to it when it challenged.

Well then I can only encourage you to recognize a lighthearted comment when one is presented and not take it as serious recommendation.

This in fairness is true and the constant lambasting of America as the great Satan of the world that is common in much of the Middle-East been tiresome is a point where might for once find some common ground.

Of course not, how could one possibly make such a mistake.

Surely you didn’t think I was seriously proposing reinstating the Kingdom of Jerusalem as a viable option?

Only you can answer that question of course.

This is a very complicated subject, of which my knowledge is cursory.

I support Israel and feel the people in Palestine are being used as a useful tool by those who oppose the existence of Israel.

Well. I read a book years ago on a debate b/w the two sides over who had what rights, etc., etc…

Both sides made good points.

I know the British, behind the UN, were pushing for Israel. Of course, America is Britian’s allie. bible Christians tout the verse that nations that curse Israel will be cursed, etc…

Again, I resort back to the New Israel as the Church and maybe not what some others believe is Israel.

As far as the Covenants with Abraham, Jacob etc… Wasn’t that more about possession and not title? And, weren’t there terms and conditions attached? Wasn’t all that fulfilled via Christ… Including the Covenant with Moses? Jesus is the law/prophets, etc…

Britain had a complex (and that’s putting it mildly) relationship with many powers in the middle-east. Some British politicans favoured the Arabs, some the Israelis, local troop commanders not surprisingly did not love the nascent Israeli armed forces once the guerrilla war started and human bodies started flying through the skies in explosions, at the same time some of those fighting on the Israeli side had been fighting with Briitsh forces not too long before this and so some British retained sympathy for them due to that. All a hideous mess as much of history is.

Further, I would add that genetically, Jews, in my belief, would be more kin to most Christians than Palestinians. From that angle, I can see support for Israel. Our laws are more in line with theirs as well (all though I am no expert on comparative law).

I add, that genetics has not much to do with the New Covenant as it did with the Old Covenants.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.