Do You Take Your Bible to Mass?

Do you take your bible to Mass and if you don’t - Why Not?

I don’t take my Bible to Mass because the missals contain all of the readings from the Bible that will be read at Mass arranged according to when they will be read. (Note: you asked the question of why, but you did not answer it.) :wink:

The only time I take my bible to Mass is on occasions when our Mass is preceded by Eucharistic Adoration, and I’ve brought my bible for during that time (then I don’t run it home before Mass begins)

[quote=theMutant]I don’t take my Bible to Mass because the missals contain all of the readings from the Bible that will be read at Mass arranged according to when they will be read.
[/quote]

Yep.

Bible no. Depending on where the mass is, I may take my Daily or Sunday Missal to give me the readings that are being used.

My Bible? Now where did I put it? I don’t because I use a rather large edition. I also would not take the time to read it at any point in Mass. Like tee_em_off I always take it to Adoration.

I often read the Bible when I visit the Blessed Sacrament Chapel in the mornings, but I don’t bring it to Mass. Before Mass, I prefer quiet contemplation. During Mass, I listen to the readings, but don’t read them. The rest of the time during Mass, I’m kept busy with other things. :slight_smile:

[quote=tee_eff_em]The only time I take my bible to Mass is on occasions when our Mass is preceded by Eucharistic Adoration, and I’ve brought my bible for during that time (then I don’t run it home before Mass begins)

Yep.
[/quote]

My bible gives me the all the readings for the whole week for 6 years! I take it because I like to be holding my bible …and following along … I JUST don’t get the same feel holding the Missle.

Plus … I try and read scripture daily … TRY :eek:

The Mass of the Latin Church and the Divine Liturgy of the Eastern Churches are intended to be community celebrations. It is our one chance a week (well, for most of us :)) to get together with fellow Catholics and worship as a community. It is not intended as a time for personal, private worship - we have plenty of opportunities throughout the other 167 hours during the week for personal spirituality (…or 166.5 hours if you’re Eastern! ;)).

If you attend Mass or Liturgy with the thought in mind that you are going to participate, there should be no reason to bring personal sacramentals along. Focus should be on communal participation - everybody doing the same thing, acting as one, in the worship of our Creator.

To bring a bible along to Mass or Liturgy and “do your own thing” while everyone else is participating as a community defeats the purpose of coming together to worship. Sorry if I offend, but the same holds for those who would bring a rosary to Mass or Liturgy. Praying the Rosary is a wonderfully enriching spiritual act, indeed very pleasing to Our Lord and His Mother… BUT, He does not call us together on Sunday to pray the Rosary; He calls us to participate in the Banquet he has prepared for us, as a community! To use His time as a convenient excuse to slip in personal, private worship, in defiance of the spirit of our purpose for coming together, is wrong. Use as many of the remaining hours of the week for private spiritual enrichment as you’d like, but please save that one hour on Sunday to do what we’re asked to do - worship with our brothers and sisters as a *community! *

a pilgrim

:eek:

No offense taken … but many priests that I know feel it is a great thing to do. One of the misconceptions of the Catholic Faith is that we aren’t Bible Believing … now that means a lot of things to a lot of people …and reading from scripture — there is something more satisfying than reading a missile.

I have my bible so marked up … it helps when I am reading to see different notes and thoughts throughout the years.

:thumbsup:

I answered no. For me, there is no reason to. When the readings are proclaimed, I give the readings my full, undivided attention.

I do realize that many people do not like this method as they have to “read along” to make it “real”.

On a side note, if you bring your Bible to Mass, how do you know where to turn to without doing a little research ahead of time, as the actual chapter/verses are not announced?

[quote=MGEISING]My bible gives me the all the readings for the whole week for 6 years! I take it because I like to be holding my bible …and following along … I JUST don’t get the same feel holding the Missle.

Plus … I try and read scripture daily … TRY :eek:
[/quote]

You would still need a guide for the daily readings to use with your Bible.

A missal has the daily readings already sequenced.

No offense taken … but many priests that I know feel it is a great thing to do. One of the misconceptions of the Catholic Faith is that we aren’t Bible Believing … now that means a lot of things to a lot of people …and reading from scripture — there is something more satisfying than reading a missile.

I have my bible so marked up … it helps when I am reading to see different notes and thoughts throughout the years.

[/quote]

Do you even know what a “missal” is? The “missal” is a combination of the Lectionary (Bible readings) and the Sacramentary. It’s a rather large work.

You seem to be talking about a missalETTE. When you say “there is something more satisfying than reading a missile” my guess is you’re talking about one of those 3-4 month throwaway missalettes.

To be candid, your comments smack of ignorance with respect to Catholicism and the Bible.

I have a bunch of goodies that I keep in my Bibles cover/carrier. I keep a pen and a notebook in ther eto make a mark of anything that sounds impacting…so I take my Bible to mass.
Having your bible can also be useful, as the readings are sometimes taken out of context. Before mass, it is really great to find where the readings are in the scriptures, and see the verses before and after what is being used in mass. Really great way to understand the readings even better just hearing them.
God Bless,

Justin

I find it tragic to see some non-Catholics struggling to locate and highlight verses that are being preached upon during their “services.”

Many such services look like half-baked Scripture study sessions.

I’ll stick to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. While I will follow along with my missalette, I won’t be distracted with margin notes or high-lights. I’ll save those for my Scripture study group, and personal study.

As for those non-Catholics who actually judge the Mass based on whether or not they see Bibles in the pews, I hope they too will come home so they can experience heaven on Earth.

[quote=Crusader]Do you even know what a “missal” is? The “missal” is a combination of the Lectionary (Bible readings) and the Sacramentary. It’s a rather large work.

You seem to be talking about a missalETTE. When you say “there is something more satisfying than reading a missile” my guess is you’re talking about one of those 3-4 month throwaway missalettes.

To be candid, your comments smack of ignorance with respect to Catholicism and the Bible.**
[/quote]

And there is no need to ATTACK ME! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I take my Bible with me to Mass (it’s always in my rather large handbag), but don’t read it during the Mass. I used to follow along until I read Preparing Yourself for Mass (Guardini), which convinced me to just listen instead of follow along. I do read it in the Adoration Chapel though.

JELane

On a side note, if you bring your Bible to Mass, how do you know where to turn to without doing a little research ahead of time, as the actual chapter/verses are not announced?

All the readings are in the back of the book (in my for 6 years)… I l like to try and prepare for Mass - pray and contemplate the readings for the Sunday service.

Really great way to understand the readings even better just hearing them.
God Bless,

Justin

My thoughts exactly …thanks! :thumbsup:

i take mine on occasion. This past semester I led a Bible study with our youth group and we used the Sunday readings. I would take my Bible and a notebook. I wanted to remember anything important the Priest may have said in the homily that I could share at the study. I bring my Bible to read along (I’m a visual person…it helps) and I do have the passages marked before going to Mass. Imagine that…being prepared and knowing the readings? How crazy!! :smiley:

[quote=picasso_13]i take mine on occasion. This past semester I led a Bible study with our youth group and we used the Sunday readings. I would take my Bible and a notebook. I wanted to remember anything important the Priest may have said in the homily that I could share at the study. I bring my Bible to read along (I’m a visual person…it helps) and I do have the passages marked before going to Mass. Imagine that…being prepared and knowing the readings? How crazy!! :smiley:
[/quote]

i am a :eek: visual personal also … :eek: :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.