Do you talk to yourself?

I found this interesting article on improving your inner voice if you find yourself talking to yourself.

What do you think?
christianitytoday.com/mp/2004/003/7.54.html

Interesting topic. To me this is all common sense, but I pay alot of attention to this kind of thing.

Crystal

Of course, nobody else listens to me.

How else would you have an intelligent conversation? :rotfl:

LOL Puzzle and MommyApril! How true!!

:rotfl:

Crystal

Yeah, occasionally. :slight_smile:

I think the advice given in the article is great, not just for how we talk to ourselves about marriage relationships, but for how we talk to ourselves about everything. Basically, the author seemed to be combining prayer with elements of cognitive therapy. The effectiveness of cognitive therapy has been demonstrated in a number of studies, and we all know prayer works :), so this makes a lot of sense.

The Bible tells us to “take captive every thought and make it obedient to Jesus Christ,” but too often we let our internal dialogue ramble on unchecked and unexamined. These are great tips for fixing that situation.

I find that my inner dialogue is mainly self examination. I tend to think in terms of Don’t forget to smile… if you look upset, it may cause her pain. or You should really go out of your way to show her that you love her today, see how melancholy she looks? I don’t know why, but I never think of the negative in relation to others. I save that for myself… and then, mostly in a motivational way.

The article was great though. I think that a lot of people could benefit from it.

God bless,

Agricola

[quote=Agricola]I find that my inner dialogue is mainly self examination. I tend to think in terms of Don’t forget to smile… if you look upset, it may cause her pain. or You should really go out of your way to show her that you love her today, see how melancholy she looks? I don’t know why, but I never think of the negative in relation to others. I save that for myself… and then, mostly in a motivational way.

The article was great though. I think that a lot of people could benefit from it.

God bless,

Agricola
[/quote]

Wow! Good job at being sane.

Who said that ?.. you did,… no I didn’t…here hold on… do I talk to my self--------------- ummm… no !

[quote=Kristina P.]I think the advice given in the article is great, not just for how we talk to ourselves about marriage relationships, but for how we talk to ourselves about everything. Basically, the author seemed to be combining prayer with elements of cognitive therapy. The effectiveness of cognitive therapy has been demonstrated in a number of studies, and we all know prayer works :), so this makes a lot of sense.

The Bible tells us to “take captive every thought and make it obedient to Jesus Christ,” but too often we let our internal dialogue ramble on unchecked and unexamined. These are great tips for fixing that situation.
[/quote]

This is a great article, and I agree with Kristina about combining prayer with cognitive therapy. Can you imagine how this can apply not only to your marital relationships, but to your friends, your co-workers, your children? It allows us to not only forgive ourselves for some of the negative thoughts that might whirl in our minds, but it can also help us ask the Lord to help us with our thoughts, and our faults, and help us see the good in others.

Thanks for the post, stbruno! :thumbsup:

“Eamon, shut your mouth before you say something stupid.”
“Naw, it won’t be that bad, I’ll exercise some sense this time.”

Yes, though that’s generally about the extent of it :wink:

Eamon

I’m the only one who listens to me. :smiley:

Anybody ever get caught talking to themselves in the car:o ??

[quote=Eireann]Who said that ?.. you did,… no I didn’t…here hold on… do I talk to my self--------------- ummm… no !
[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

[quote=Giannawannabe]I’m the only one who listens to me. :smiley:

[/quote]

Haven’t been caught yet, but goodness knows I do it enough! :rolleyes:

[quote=stbruno]I found this interesting article on improving your inner voice if you find yourself talking to yourself.

What do you think?
christianitytoday.com/mp/2004/003/7.54.html
[/quote]

It’s when I start answering myself back, that I get worried!!! :slight_smile:

[quote=Giannawannabe]I’m the only one who listens to me. :smiley:

[/quote]

Same here,and not only I listen to myself,but I always agree on myself.:rotfl: And I haven’t been caught talking in the car…But I have been caught talking to myself everywhere else.:whacky:

Whenever i learn something i talk to myself, even though this is a cliche, i will still say it," i am the only one that listens to me." :smiley:

We all do this!!

Just don’t answer yourself! Hehe!

I talk to myself all the time. I always ask myself if I am making a good decision. I discuss the pros and cons of a given situation. There are times when I feel my Guardian Angel has some input because I don’t like the answer I give back to myself. Then I have to rethink the problem and come up with an answer I know Jesus would agree with. After all of this, I take it all to my spouse. Sometimes he agrees, sometimes he doesn’t but if I have a very strong inner peace about the decision I made, I stick to it. I finally learned to trust my “gut feeling” after years of wavering and usually ending up in the wrong direction. I have learned to listen to this inner spirit and it does feel good.

Love and peace

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.