Do you think a habit makes something more or less, voluntary?

Some people say that if an action becomes a habit, then it becomes involuntary.

Some people say that if an action becomes a habit, then it becomes more voluntary.

I think this brings up another problem about choice and volition. If something is chosen over and over, then it becomes so easy to choose it that one doesn’t even have to choose in one sense of the word.

Alternatively, if someone never chooses something then it becomes easier to make the effort to choose it.

Thoughts?

This question is sort of difficult to answer because Many habits are developed at an early age and are the result of imprinting by parents or others…As small children we imitate what we see and so certain habits can be and are developed involuntarily.
Once we reach the age of reason…this changes. Then I would say that habits more often develop voluntarily.

That said - it seems your title question is something a asking something a bit different. Once a habit is developed, the habit, by it’s nature, is less voluntary. It is a reaction rather than an action.
This is what makes changing a habit so difficult. One does it before one has as chance to NOT do it…
Get’s really tricky when trying to overcome sinful habits…:blush:

Peace
James

Which people say that if an action becomes a habit, that action becomes more voluntary? A habit is a behavior that has become involuntary. There is a process called habituation, in which repeated behavior becomes boring and may stop as a result, but the behavior itself is still involuntary after learning has taken place.

I would just say it at becoming less conscious. That doesn’t tell you anything about whether it is still voluntary. Some habits are formed with intent, others are not. So a habit could still fall on either side of the voluntarily/involuntary spectrum. I’ve got my own habits that I’ve formed to prevent injury in certain situations. I’m not immediately conscious of my reactions in those situations but the habits are there intentionally by my own volition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.