Do you think doublespeak in today's language removes God's relationship with Humanity? And if so, how can the problem be resolved?

Doublespeak means saying one thing yet meaning another.

When people are met with favourable outcomes, often times they say they were “lucky”. One would be hardpressed to find someone say that they were blessed by God. The former is a mere probabilistic function and the latter points to a relationship with God. The same can be said for other things, such as “spontaneous remissions” for what could be considered miraculous healings, coincidence for two simultaneous events that happened against all odds, etc.

Do you think doublespeak removes God’s relationship with Humanity…and can it ever be resolved?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

I see your point, but it ultimately depends on the person using the words. The word lucky is actually in the Bible, in the sense of good luck. If I use it, people would know I mean “I’m really quite fortunate for things to have worked out that way, and you all know that I believe in God’s providence”. But sometimes it just sounds trite as hell to say “I’m so blessed”. And with spontaneous remissions, why can’t both be true? I admit, if I heard a shrink speak the term after telling them I prayed and got healed, I would most likely assume it’s coming from rationalism and faithlessness - but there’s nothing stopping God from healing with spontaneous remission as I see it. If something changes physically then there’s science to it, even if modern science can only probe into the change and not the Initiator of the change.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.