Do you think, God will make you rich?

:cool::thumbsup:

God HAS made me rich. I have the best wife in the world and two great sons, I’m healthy and I live in a country where I don’t have to worry about practicing my faith. Who can be richer than that?

Now, if He also wants to bless me with money, I’d be OK with that!:smiley:

Peace

Tim

aidanbradypop,

What your mentioned about the Blessed Virgin Mary was said in a way that sounds heretical. Jesus forgives sins, and Mary’s intercession assists us.

I think the poster who asked the question is a non-believer.

None of us should caricaturize or make broad brush statements about what others believe. I understand why you got upset.

Peace,

Dorothy

Dorothy! How are you friend?

I meant the statement to be false :wink:

I was simply making a point was all. :slight_smile:

Rich in God, yes!

Rich according to the world? Only in the ways that God sees can help me help others and achieve Eternal Salvation

Okay…thanks for clarifying! :slight_smile: God bless you!

The only Evangelical family I know would agree with you. They tend toward modest living, modest attire, and if they have any extra “wealth” they spend it on mission trips.

Unfortunately, the outrageous preachers of the prosperity gospel blinds many of us to the more insidious form of this belief.

Many (if not most) people believe at a fairly sub-conscious level, that God’s blessings will be in the form of an easier life. We treat those who have wealth and/or money as better, and even more blessed, than those who are struggling or have nothing.

Very astute observations.

He already has. He has allowed me to get a job that pays enough for myself and family to live comfortably. That is riches.

He has provided the opportunity to me to have enough to live comfortbaly but not so much that I would get myself into mischief.

Any denomination that teaches that God would like his children to be “wealthy” in the secular sense has wandered from the narrow path.

When I was in college, there were some around me who were adherents to the so-called “Prosperity gospel” who believed it was every believer’s birthright to be healthy, wealthy, and happy and have “nothing but the best” in terms of material things. Some went so far as to say that if you were sick or didn’t have enough money, you didn’t have a strong enough faith.

I debated them often, although I tried to do so while showing them the love of Christ. I argued that God was our heavenly father and not our heavenly genie or a celestial vending machine.

They considered me unenlightened and lacking in faith because I lived within my means and didn’t feel the need to have to have the most expensive brands of everything.

Some of the most commonly quoted verses that Prosperity gospel followers use are listed in the following link, as well as reasons why they are incorrect. Anyway, for those who don’t know much about the Prosperity gospel, it might help you better understand it and why it is a false gospel in case you ever run into someone who believes in it.

faithstreet.com/onfaith/2014/05/09/ten-verses-prosperity-gospel-preachers-need-stop-misuising/32019

Blessings,
Tommy

That would be me. Thanks for the link.

That is some great reading, Thanks for posting that

Please do not say “many Protestant Evangelical and Non-Denominational teach [it].” Prosperity Gospel is heresy and in no way represents the Gospel.

No need for slander opinions that are false. It . . . seems large because they have taken to the airways of cable tv.
[/quote]

OK, No mainstream Protestant denominations teach the Prosperity Gospel. It is certainly not a Catholic Teaching.
The only ones that teach the “Prosperity Gospel” are some Protestant Evangelical and Non-Denominational Denominations.

That is more accurate, thanks for pointing that out.

So mostly here probably believe you shouldn’t get rich if you’re Christian. But it seems that in Judaism, it’s okay to be rich, like God blessed Job with tons livestock and others.

There is nothing wrong with being rich, even if one is a Christian. It is what you do with the money and how it controls your life (or not) that matters. It is just that this should not be where our focus is. The Gospel is not about becoming monetarily wealthy and acquiring lots of possessions. It is about worshipping Christ and performing works of mercy and taking care of the least of our brethren.

Remember, money is not the root of all evil, rather love of money is the root of all evil. It is what comes out of the human heart.

The Parable of the Rich Fool (Luke 12:16-21) comes to mind. It is not that a Christian should not get rich but rather it should not be at the expense of being one.

16 Then he told them a parable: “The land of a rich man produced abundantly. 17 And he thought to himself, ‘What should I do, for I have no place to store my crops?’ 18 Then he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ 20 But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life is being demanded of you. And the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ 21 So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are not rich toward God.”

Not materially rich. No. But, Lord, I am happy to be proved wrong! LOL

My only exposure to this has been some “mega-church” pastors on YouTube. I’ve never met a Christian (or any religious person) who thinks that God wants us to have fiduciary success.

Certainly, those who are rich are blessed with the opportunity to spend their money wisely and for the glory of God, but that is completely different than saying God favors you more if you have a big bank account.

I’m kind of surprised that this idea could hold sway at all. I know that we Christians disagree a lot on what the Bible says, but the Gospel seems so clear on the matter. Sigh… :shrug:

I agree with all those on this thread who state that Prosperity Gospel is a distortion of the true teachings in the Bible and by the Church.

And I certainly agree that the vast majority of Evangelical Protestants do NOT teach any form of the Prosperity Gospel!

However, we mustn’t be too quick to claim that Christianity has no influence on personal prosperity.

Many of the teachings of Christianity, when adhered to, are more likely to lead to a good outcome for people living in a country like the United States, where there is relative freedom to achieve success (as opposed to countries that have a government that confiscates all incomes and personal property and re-distributes them, or a government that allows a “caste system” that keeps certain groups of people in poverty, or a government that is run by terrorists, etc.)

Teachings of Christianity that contribute to personal success include:

temperance in all things (eating, drinking, spending, entertainment, etc.)
working hard because we are working to glorify God
honesty
avoiding violence
not getting caught up in playing games of chance with your money
not keeping company with criminals
respect for parents and family members (including young children obeying their parents)
hospitality
compassion for the sick and elderly
paying taxes and obeying the civic laws that don’t contradict God’s laws
wise stewardship of money
giving generously to the poor
providing for your family
personal DISCIPLINE!
not living merely for today but keeping the future in mind
storing up our goods and monies for a leaner future
avoiding prostitutes and other sexual sins and perversions
caring for our physical bodies
etc.

Following these principles is certainly no guarantee of personal wealth or even success in finding and holding down a job and making a decent living. But NOT following these principles pretty much guarantees that you will be living down by the river in a rusted-out van that doesn’t run. .

Well stated, Steve. I know a few wealthy Christians who give a lot of money to the Lord’s work. They help fund worthy causes and charities and they do so in a very low key way that doesn’t seek out recognition for themselves.

For example, at my church sometimes there are those who can’t afford to go on a retreat or a missions trip who wind up going because “anonymous” donors helped ensure that others could attend. Without money, this wouldn’t be possible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.