Do you think it is difficult to have a "good contrition"

Do you think it is difficult to have a good contrition?. So that you can trust yourself? That you can eliminate a mortal sin?

I think that depends on the person and the moment you ask them. As far as the Sacrament of Confession, the healing power of the sacrament will definitely vary depending on the amount of contrition the person is feeling for the sin. If they feel almost no contrition, then they aren’t going to benefit much from the sacrament. If they are wailing in sorrow for their sin, their soul will receive much more healing.

It also depends on the weight of the sin. Most people will feel more contrition for mortal sin than venial sin because it’s so much more harmful to Jesus or others worse. Holiness also changes things. Someone suffering from addiction is so used to their sin, they might not feel very guilty for it. On the other hand, many saints felt very sorry for even the smallest sin. Everyone’s at a different place in life and their contrition for their sins can change from moment to moment.

Contrition is just part of love. When we wrong someone we love, we feel bad about it. People who want to feel more contrition should work towards loving God and others more. Understanding more how their sins affect God or others can help. Another thing is realizing how many blessings and gifts they receive from God or others. For example, I became much closer to God once I started saying prayers of thanks each morning. I saw more clearly all the ways God was helping me. Then I could compare that with how I treated God in return, with lots of sin. I didn’t feel good about my actions – contrition.

There is no “good” contrition. There is imperfect contrition and there is perfect contrition.

Among the penitent’s acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is “sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again.”

When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.

The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.

[CCC 1451-1453]

If you confess because you are afraid of ending in hell, that’s sufficient contrition. What wipes out mortal sin is the blood of Christ dispensed by the words of absolution, alongside our firm resolve not to sin again with God’s help and to do penance.

@almost2

No, you can’t trust yourself. You must trust in God.

Perfect contrition is a supernatural gift and not something a person can manufacture through an act of the will.

We should always pray for perfect contrition, before Reconciliation & after Reconciliation, and on a daily basis. We can be 100% confident our prayer will be heard.

Refer to the above post for imperfect contrition. Valid Confession is made with imperfect contrition.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “good” contrition.

I never feel I have adequate contrition for my sins. How could one ever be adequately sorry for our sins, seeing how they put Our Dear Lord on the cross?

Through prayer, listening to God in His word, reflection on His gifts to us – we grow in holiness. And as we grow closer to Him, our own sins, failures and imperfections become clearer to us.

In this way, we develop greater contrition, while also appreciate more profoundly His tremendous love and mercy towards us!

Oh, and I never trust myself to avoid sin. I really completely on God’s grace… except when I don’t, and that’s when I sin.

Just go to confession. The priest has heard it all many times.
Confession is the normative way Christ instituted for us to be reconciled with Him and His Church (which are inseparable).
Only a fool has himself for a confessor.
Just go to confession and rejoice.

Depending on your own perfections to wash away sin is like making up with yourself when you hurt your wife. It’s “no fun” to make up with yourself. Reconciliation should bring the two parties “eye to eye” and reestablish loving relationship. Reconciliation is not about you, it’s about you and Christ’s mystical body.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.