Do You Think Satan Attacks Marriages?

Over this last weekend hubby and I had a huge fight. And no, this isn’t a bad things. See, we have a saying: “Fights clear the air in the same way that farts do not.”

Yeah, we find it funny, but meaningful. Everytime we have a huge fight we are SO into each other for the weeks or months that follow because our fights are always productive. We always learn so much about each other from fights.

Anyway, I say this to state that hubby and I are in a GREAT place right now. Intimacy is high, commitment is as strong as ever, and we have figured each other out that much more. But I feel like we’ve made someone mad.

Last night my husband and I had almost the EXACT same dream about something happening that broke us up. For me, it was an utter nightmare that involved my marriage ending. For hubby, it was just something he laughed off and knew it would never happen. I am far more susceptible to my dreams than he is because I am such a vivid dreamer.

At any rate, I can’t help but wonder that now that our marriage is on such a great track and he can’t tear us apart through what caused the argument in the first place, is he attacking us in our dreams? Does it seem to you like Satan deliberately attacks marriage more than anything else?

Satan attacks any Sacrament that leads us closer to God and away from hell. Pray together, follow the teachings of the CC, and enjoy the love that is marriage and brings you closer to God.

Satan is anti-marriage. He will insert himself wherever and whenever he can. Maybe your dreams were not of the devil, but a divine reminder of how precious and beautiful your marriage is and how bereft you would be without one another.

I just watched Contemporary Attacks on the Family (preview) from Fr. Corapi interestingly enough.
youtube.com/watch?v=F8vXL_CJ_Tw

Satan is anti-human, period. When he fails at the individual level he attacks family relationships - the domestic Church.

There are two institutions that Satan would just love to see destroyed. Marriage and the priesthood. If either of these two breaks, the Church collapses.

Thank God we have the promise of indefectability but this doesn’t stop the evil one from trying anyway.

Yes!

Thanks for the responses, this has me a little more encouraged. I am finding marriage to be such a fight at times because it seems like there is always something working to tear you apart. Hubby and I look at it as a war, and we are fighting for each other, and protecting one another's holiness.

I have to say that I think that satan does attack marriages more than anywhere else. I believe it was Blessed JPII that said "as the family goes, so society goes" or something like that. Satan is not dumb, he knows how to play his cards very well and he knows how to break us down. He searches for that one little crack that he can get his crowbar into and start to open it up more and more. And I think that he does this in marriage moreso than anywhere else in life (maybe not the Catholic Church.

I have seen this first-hand in my marriage. The more that things seem to be "going good" sure enough there will come something so small and seemingly insignificant into our lives that will open up and try to cause division in us. I have listened to some good talks by a man named John Labriola talking about satan's attack on the family. If you have a chance, check them out. In listening to the talks, it made me more aware of how satan tries to attack me and my wife in our marriage. Satan wants to divide us, satan wants broken homes, broken marriages, but as we become more aware of what he is trying to do to us in our lives, we can recoginize those times and fight off his attacks.

Continue to love your spouse and pray, pray, pray. Know the times that the devil is attacking you and have a plan of attack to counter his divisive ways.

[quote="Mirror_Mirror, post:9, topic:239628"]
I have to say that I think that satan does attack marriages more than anywhere else. I believe it was Blessed JPII that said "as the family goes, so society goes" or something like that. Satan is not dumb, he knows how to play his cards very well and he knows how to break us down. He searches for that one little crack that he can get his crowbar into and start to open it up more and more. And I think that he does this in marriage moreso than anywhere else in life (maybe not the Catholic Church.

I have seen this first-hand in my marriage. The more that things seem to be "going good" sure enough there will come something so small and seemingly insignificant into our lives that will open up and try to cause division in us. I have listened to some good talks by a man named John Labriola talking about satan's attack on the family. If you have a chance, check them out. In listening to the talks, it made me more aware of how satan tries to attack me and my wife in our marriage. Satan wants to divide us, satan wants broken homes, broken marriages, but as we become more aware of what he is trying to do to us in our lives, we can recoginize those times and fight off his attacks.

Continue to love your spouse and pray, pray, pray. Know the times that the devil is attacking you and have a plan of attack to counter his divisive ways.

[/quote]

I'll have to listen to those when I get a chance. Our current plan is to always communicate - both with one another and with God. Just before we got married, I was in RCIA to become catholic. When the bishops came to meet with all the candidates, my husband had to fill in for my sponsor that couldn't be there that everning. When we went forward for my blessing, he asked who the man with me was. When I said it was my fiancee filling in for my sponsor, he took us both and pointed us towards the altar/tabernacle (they were right next to each other) and reminded us that that table, that altar, MUST be at the center of our marriage and we should receive communion regularly as a couple and put God first. We don't take that charge lightly. And that fact that he blessed me for my entry into the church, and then BOTH of us for our marriage, we have an even greater awe and sense of responsibility about marriage than some of our peers.

I just know that marriage is such a blessing to my husband and I, and it bolsters us spiritually. I just get so angry when I feel that handiwork of the devil trying to pry us apart.

Satan attacks everything. You’re talking about a master intelligence (although thankfully not supreme) and an egomaniac rolled into one.

Satan not only attacks the institution of marriage, but he certainly attacks married couples as well. If he can cause a marriage to fail then the odds go drastically up he will throw two souls into mortal sin at the very least for an extended period of time.

[quote="crazzeto, post:12, topic:239628"]
Satan not only attacks the institution of marriage, but he certainly attacks married couples as well. If he can cause a marriage to fail then the odds go drastically up he will throw two souls into mortal sin at the very least for an extended period of time.

[/quote]

Wow, I never thought if it that way.

[quote="Whitacre_Girl, post:8, topic:239628"]
Thanks for the responses, this has me a little more encouraged. I am finding marriage to be such a fight at times because it seems like there is always something working to tear you apart. Hubby and I look at it as a war, and we are fighting for each other, and protecting one another's holiness.

[/quote]

You are truly blessed to be in a sacramental marriage. It is indeed a war, not only for married couples but for individuals as well. We will be in a war until Jesus comes again. But of course remembering that Jesus fights with us, and for us!

:thumbsup:

Absolutely!! I feel he will attack in every way he possibly can, but marriage is extremely vulnerable, look at the divorce rate!!

I tell myself constantly to ignore him and I feel it really works. I used to get so darned angry at the little things, even when I would drop something and try to pick it up only to miss it again etc. I would be so frustrated at that point, and then it would snowball into something else, and it would finally end up where my kids come running up and I’m so mad that I’m yelling at them, or mad at my husband for something. Then I finally woke up and realized that Satan is causing all of this.

He works on me in little ways to get me so angry that I then take it out on my family. I really feel that my awareness has made a huge impact on my ability to deal with this. And I think I’m just a normal person, normal mom and wife going through life, so I think I can’t be alone, I can’t be the only person who goes through this. I wonder if most people get bothered by a combination of all the little frustrations, which balloon into fights in the family.

So what I do, I tell myself constantly something like “God please ward off Satan and his nasty minions and help me to be aware when he is working on me.” I tell myself “its no big deal, don’t worry about it.”

What works best for me personally is when I confront Satan directly and tell him I’m tired of him and he is not bothering me and I refuse to allow it to get to me, and I really just let it roll off of me and I don’t even bother to get angry. Almost as if he is a gnat flying around that I decide I just don’t care about. And you know what? I become peaceful, I feel better, and I just roll with it and all of a sudden I realize I’m pretty calm and the little things aren’t bothering me, and I am a good mother without getting upset at 3 screaming kids!

It has helped me immensely to be a very calm person just working on realizing how often Satan tries to get at me, and I really feel that he has given up to a certain point because he just can’t get to me :slight_smile: I have really been working on this since about January, and along with that, my marriage and family life is really fantastic right now :slight_smile:

And thank God that Hell will never prevail against the Church. :slight_smile:

Little One0307

Friend,
Satan attacks my family and church relationships all the time. I have to sift through the attacks and remember this fact. Priests sin. Why people don't realize this baffles me. Not that a recent priest is either guilty or innocent, but he is also subject to the near occasion of sins as the rest of us.

Example: there is a young woman in my graduate class that I find very attractive for some reason. She's in my group. She flirts all the time. But my way of dealing with it is to recognize that Satan is testing me and trying to tempt me into sin. So what do I do? I remind myself constantly who I am, a child of God. I remind myself that she is a child of God. I remind myself that I am married and twirl my ring. I remind myself that we all fall in and out of love throughout our marriages. Anyone who says otherwise is not human or doesn't understand the nature of eros and agape. Agape is the love we must take towards our spouse and that love is what truly binds us together as one. We must never act upon those particular feelings that lead towards divorce. People used to understand this before the idea of "if it feels good, then do it". Moral relativism has taken hold of many of God's children. WE must fight against it.

The decision used to be set for us in society. Satan is working very hard to destroy the family. I firmly believe that divorce, birth control and abortion are matters of national security and is the main reason we are in the situation we face today. Children are lacking a strong family. They fear parents divorcing when they hear them argue. We always teach our children that divorce is never an option and expect them to find a spouse with similar convictions. Notice I didn't say "beliefs". Even Satan believes in God, but he is not convicted to God. We must be steadfast and learn from our forefathers (mothers too). We must also be willing to forgive our spouse when they stumble, because its a fact that they will stumble and fall short of the glory of God. The reason is that Satan and his minions are out to destroy God's most precious creation. He love us so much that he gave His only begotten son so that we might live. There are no stories like that with any of the creatures God created.

That's why we all have to keep our guard up all the time. It is also why allowing men to the priesthood with sex weaknesses presents a problem, thus the Vatican has tightened up the ropes in recent decades on screening. We make so much scandal out of a man's temptation that we set ourselves up for failure. Men have always had stronger sexual urges than women for the most part. But women are climbing to equal the same sinful level as men in this area I've read recently.

Yes, Satan actively works to create problems in marriages. We must always be on our guard and make frequent use of the Sacraments.

My family adds this prayer to the end of the usual Mealtime prayer:
"Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us and for the peace and guidance of our family."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.