Do you think that Allah is the same God as Jesus?

Do you think that Allah is the same God as Jesus is or speaks of?

I tell people that Allah is a different God with different rules

I think that Allah is just the Muslims understanding of God.

You know, yes, that Allah is the Arabic name for God? Christians who speak and pray in Arabic, use the same name.

Islam is an Abrahamic religion, as are Judaism and Christianity. We all pray to the same God.

There is only one Lord God. The Muslims don’t see God the same way we do.

Yes and no. We don’t see God in the same way that the Jews do, yet we both come from the line of Abraham. Islam comes from that same line. We are all under the Father yet from different family lines.

The catechism is quite clear on this:

"The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and _together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.”

But their concept of God doesn’t seem to be the same loving forgiving God that we know.

I’m not sure why you think this. Islam very much believes in a loving and forgiving God.

No. Islam rejects the divinity of Christ, so that possibility is ruled out from the start.

There are three Abrahamic religions (although some are thinking that LDS may be the 4th). Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Only Christianity professes Jesus. The others do not. That does not make them any less Abrahamic under the same God.

The Church considers Allah to be same God we worship because Muslims specifically invoke the Abrahamic God, i.e. “The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob(renamed Israel)”. The sons of Israel became the tribes of Israel, including the two half-tribes descended from Joseph and also the Levites. From the line of Israel came Our Lord.

We view our God as a personal God, in other words: you can invoke him much the same way that you might address a person. If you call somebody by their name, such as “John A. Smith”, then you are referring to a specific person.

Muslims don’t have the same bearings of God that we do when it comes to revelation or to his Divine Nature, but they nonetheless invoke the same personal God.

3. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

Then why does Islam foster so much violence and hatred? I know that there are Christian extremists who commit horrible crimes against humanity, but remember “Beware false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits.” Mt 7:15-16a. What fruits has Islam borne?

Look at some of what the saints had to say.

Some of them witnessed the infancy of this religion.

I am called to love my neighbor not to love their false religions or even to trust them.

No one has to agree with me but that’s my stance.

I live by the golden rule but I don’t mingle with other religions especially those who have been known to be unpredictable and violent.

I am kind to others to the best of my ability but I do not make friends with people of different religions or other denominations.

No.

Extras.

Yes indeed. That is why there is no concept of ‘original sin’ in Islam.

Try googling “Islamic civilisation” or “Islamic golden age” for a start.

Then why does Christianity foster so much violence and hatred?

:thinking:

Yes, Islam is a Christian heresy. They have a flawed understanding but they worship the same God.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the posthumous award of the GEORGE CROSS to:— Assistant Section Officer Nora INAYAT-KHAN (9901), Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.
Assistant Section Officer Nora INAYAT-KHAN was the first woman operator to be infiltrated into enemy occupied France, and was landed by Lysander aircraft on 16th June, 1943. During the weeks immediately following her arrival, the Gestapo made mass arrests in the Paris Resistance groups to which she had been detailed. She refused however to abandon what had become the principal and most dangerous post in France, although given the opportunity to return to England, because she did not wish to leave her French comrades without communications and she hoped also to rebuild her group. She remained at her post therefore and did the excellent work which earned her a posthumous Mention in Despatches.
The Gestapo had a full description of her, but knew only her code name “Madeleine”. They deployed considerable forces in their effort to catch her and so break the last remaining link with London. After 3 months, she was betrayed to the Gestapo and taken to their H.Q. in the Avenue Foch. The Gestapo had found her codes and messages and were now in a position to work back to London. They asked her to co-operate, but she refused and gave them no information of any kind. She was imprisoned in one of the cells on the 5th floor of the Gestapo H.Q. and remained there for several weeks during which time she made two unsuccessful attempts at escape. She was asked to sign a declaration that she would make no further attempts, but she refused and the Chief of the Gestapo obtained permission from Berlin to send her to Germany for “safe custody”. She was the first agent to be sent to Germany.
Assistant Section Officer INAYAT-KHAN was sent to Karlsruhe in November 1943, and then to Pforzheim where her cell was apart from the main prison. She was considered to be a particularly dangerous and unco-operative prisoner. The Director of the prison has also been interrogated and has confirmed that Assistant Section Officer INAYAT-KHAN, when interrogated by the Karlsruhe Gestapo, refused to give any information whatsoever, either as to her work or her colleagues.
She was taken with three others to Dachau Camp on the 12 September 1944. On arrival, she was taken to the crematorium and shot.
Assistant Section Officer INAYAT-KHAN displayed the most conspicuous courage, both moral and physical over a period of more than 12 months.

The religion came from acknowledging the God of Abraham.

The religion does not accept Jesus as the Son of God, and second person of the Trinity. Therefore, Islam does not know God, as He has revealed Himself.

Individuals who are not Taught about Jesus, can still know the God of the Old Testament Father’s and honor Him in ways.

When anyone learns about the Gospel, they are faced with the heart of the Lord. No one can turn from Christ after hearing, and still honor God.

In what sense does God in Islam need to be forgiving if there is no original sin?

My understanding is that God in Islam is so beyond human goodness that nothing we do is even consequential. Ergo there is no morality, in the natural moral law sense, only doing what God prescribes in the Qur’an, and for no reason other than God commands it.

Again, in what sense is God forgiving if his only concern is whether his prescriptions are being carried out? At best, that would make him disinterested in human deeds since he only takes notice if and when his will is carried out. That isn’t forgiveness, exactly; at least, not in the sense understood by Christians. It is more like “putting up with” humans until they do what he commands.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.