Do you think that Allah is the same God as Jesus?

I was under the impression that observant Jews, then and now, didn’t in fact say or even write “God.” Instead, substitute words were used, such as “Lord” or “The Name” (“Hashem”). Even now there are occasional postings here that use “G-d.” So I have a really difficult time believing that Jesus, as an observant Jew, went around saying the equivalent of “Allah.”

The Holy Trinity is excluded in the Koran.

Catholic Encylopedia

The notion of Allah in Arabic theology is substantially the same as that of God among the Jews, and also among the Christians, with the exception of the Trinity, which is positively excluded in the Koran, cxii: “Say God, is one God, the eternal God, he begetteth not, neither is he begotten and there is not any one like unto him.”

Butin, R. (1907). Allah. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01316a.htm

All people have access to God and are blessed to some degree by God whether they be Christians, Muslims or Atheists. What each group (and people within each group) know about the Truth of God however varies.

Because of this it comes down to how you define the action of worship which I believe is a two way process. Where anyone (including an atheist) ‘worships’ a true component of God it is the same God. Where he worships a false component of God, it is not the same God.

Vatican II is not Dogma of our Catholic Faith - it was a Conference holding discussions and opinions. Heresy is not present in my understanding and never my intent. So you are mistaken about my statement on Islam. Read St. Thomas Aquinas for an enlightened understanding and other Saints on the subject of Islam.

If one imagines what it was like when Muhammad rode up on his camel and started pushing people around, you will not see much difference in behaviors today. Power is a tool and is used by evil. (I would call it Satan or the Devil but wouldn’t want to seem too old fashioned!)

Ahem. Vatican II was an Ecumenical Council of the Church, not a mere “conference holding discussions”. Vatican II’s pronouncements are binding on the Church.

I did not mention Vatican II, another poster did. However, in any case as pointed out you are mistaken about Vatican II and your attempt to dismiss it in that manner is unwise and shows you need to understand what the purpose of Vatican II was.

Why is this in response to me?

The Church never teaches that the God revealed in the Quran and practiced from Islam is the same God of Christians. She declares that the Muslim who profess One God, One Creator is the same One God, One Creator professed by Jews and Christians. When you add any more to the CCC 841 you falsify the teaching of the Church.

Finally to remove any future semantics, loops and jumps. Please read from the following document in short.
NOSTRA AETATE
Proclaimed by His Holiness
Pope Paul VI
October 28, 1965
Second Vatican Council

The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the One God, living and subsisting in Himself: merciful and all powerful, the creator of heaven and earth, who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Thou they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother: at times they even call on her with devotion.

That said;
Back to the OP. “Do you think that Allah is the same God as Jesus?”
When Allah is professed by Arab Catholics, Allah is the same God
When Allah is professed by Muslims, Muslims do not believe the Allah in the Quran is Jesus.

Peace be with you

Sorry SalamKhan, that post was not addressed to you.

Back to Jack: Gabriel has resolved the issue IMO!

I can agree with you here. Muslims, Christians, Jews all profess the One Abrahamic faith in One God, One Creator, No matter the name be it; Allah, Dios, Elohim, God or Father.

To digress from the profession of One God, One Creator. Begins the diverse profession’s of how God proceeds divine revelation to our humanity.

Well, maybe not…

How so grotto?

Hi giuseppe96 - you know you’d actually be surprised! All Muslims that I know do love and know God as loving, forgiving, and compassionate. I met a new friend in college and the reason we hit it off was because we both were religious (she Muslim and I Catholic) and we never had to explain it or justfy God to one another, we could just geek out and marvel at his awesome compassion, creative genius, wisdom and intimate presence in our lives! She quoted me something one time and it still paints for me one of my favorite images of God “for every step we take towards God, he joyfully sprints a thousand towards us.” Check out the 99 names of Allah as well, chief among them you’ll find “the most compassionate, the merciful, and the all-peaceful.” Imagine if you were an outsider and were to pick up the Bible and start reading it from the beginning - by about chapter 6 you’d be astounded how any Christian could think of the seemingly wrathful and sadistic God that comes across in those pages as loving. I think the same happens for us with Islam, we surface read passages or rely on sound bytes to hold up our understanding, and as with any human group the squeaky wheel is always heard the loudest and these are often the most extreme and possibly even harmful pockets of any religion. Those who work to dispose their hearts to the will of God the loving and merciful are more often than not the quiet, humble, simple, and maybe even the invisible ones - just like a number of faithful Christians and saints.

The same God cannot have opposing attributes, so no, it is not the same God that is being worshipped but rather a false God. Especially since Jesus and then the apostles were the final revelation so Mohammad can only be a false prophet. That’s not to say that it isn’t a fact that the Islamic faith purports to have branched off from the God of Moses, so in that case it is fair to say that they consider themselves to be an Abrahamic religion and so it can be accurate to classify the religion that way.

I have read a lot about the gods being worshipped by pre-Islamic Arabic peoples and I think it is accurate to say that the Islamic God started out as Ba’al and was tweaked. I believe that Mecca even had its beginning roots as being the worship place of Ba’al.

“Allah” is the Arabic word for the creator of the universe.
“God” is the English word for the creator of the universe.

“Things which are equal to the same thing are equal to each other.” -Euclid

Therefore, if there is only one creator of the universe, then “Allah” and “God” refer to the same deity.

That’s right. God is God even the Egyptian gods .or the Aztec gods.

What have you done for me lately? Kind of God

You will note it points out they adore the one God in the text.

Everyone who worships the creator of the universe worships the one God in that sense. But the individual attributes that they identify with their version of God may not be compatible with the one true God.

That’s a good summary. A plus

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.