Do you think that Allah is the same God as Jesus?

As both a Catholic and an American, I cannot explain the atrocities committed by people of my own faith or country as anything but abhorrent – as the actions of those that do not represent me or what I believe.

This kind of challenge to a person of a different tradition to somehow speak for any atrocities committed by others is ridiculous on its surface.

I’m sorry. I don’t have anything personal against Muslims. I’m just looking at history.

Your posts would suggest otherwise. If that is truly not your intent, you might wish to reconsider you approach. I’ll go with the principal of charity and assume you mean no harm as you say, but please know you come off to me as very anti-Muslim in your writing.

Throughout history, good things happened and bad things happened. That’s the case for every community, religion, nation, etc.

And FWIW, Judaism claims as well that Allah is the same G-d of Abraham as Hashem. The word “Allah” is even used by some Jews in the Middle East and elsewhere, and by some Christians.

I would look to Paragraph 841 of the CCC:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p3.htm

841 The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day."330

330 LG 16; cf. NA 3.

The Journey Home: Daniel Ali - former Muslim

I think the connection between Muslims & Christians is through Abraham although their understanding of God is different - as it is with Judaism. Arab Muslims believe they are descendants of Ishmael, & Ishmael was circumcised along with Abraham & all of the men of the household in Genesis 17:

Now as for Ishmael, I will heed you: I hereby bless him. I will make him fertile and will multiply him exceedingly. He will become the father of twelve chieftains, and I will make of him a great nation.
But my covenant I will maintain with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you by this time next year.

You can read more about the descendants of Ishmael in Genesis 25: http://www.usccb.org/bible/genesis/25

I’m currently reading

Learning things I never knew!

You mentioned earlier Islam not being monolithic (which I agree with). In your view, what % of people who identify as Muslim would you categorize as “Islamist”? I have always thought a fair estimate was 10-15%, based on a poll I saw a few years ago that asked people in Muslim countries if they supported suicide bombings.

I greatly appreciate your measured responses to the questions posed on the this thread. I consider it an opportunity to learn.

is it? the koran is quite clear on the issue and over a thousand years of history is also clear on how the verses have been interpreted.

how do you know what they are teaching is correct or not? does each mosque teach the same meaning of the koran?

read the koran for yourself

I have read it.

Look up the percent of the population in Muslim countries who support sharia law. You will be surprised.

I haven’t read anything from Reza Aslan yet. I think what may have put me off reading his works is his book ‘Zealot’, as years ago I heard that he portrayed Jesus as some sort of radical in it which rubbed me the wrong way. But I suppose I will give his other works a read, because I do hear good things about him, academically speaking.

I don’t know, I’m not really into statistics, because they could be misleading. For example in America, conservatives using statistics to ‘prove’ higher rate of crime among ethnic minorities, or liberals using statistics to argue against gun ownership.

Except, if it hasn’t already been said,

The question is, who does God say His covenant goes through?

Through Abraham ---------> Ishmael -----> ? No

Through Abraham ------> Issac --------> Jacob -----> ? YES That’s the direction

AND here

AND here

No, I don’t. In fact, only one of them is God, because there is only one God.

No, he isn’t the same as Jesus.

But the Jews do not consider God to be Triune. Does that mean that the God that the Jews worship is a different God?

But we know the God revealed to the Jews was passed down through Abraham Isaac and Jacob. This same God sent His Son down into humanity to save humanity from its sins. How do we know that the spirit which appeared to Mohammed was an angel and not a demon seeking to deceive him?

Allah is the one true Triune God.

The Muslims have exactly the same misunderstanding of God as the Jews do. If you believe Muslims worship a different God, then you believe the Jews worship the wrong God as well.

I don’t believe they worship a different God, but I think that they misunderstand who He truly is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.