Do you think that leggings, alone, are inappropriate?

I am asking about “inappropriate” as opposed to “ill advised”.
I am in the dance chorus of a play, and they are requiring us to wear plain black leggings.
I have never worn leggings on their own before, only underneath long skirts. I never really found myself with an opinion about them, other than that they do basically show everything, which is partially why I declined to wear them… They do seem pretty mainstream, and I feel like leggings for dance are indeed different than leggings as a fashion choice, with all the practical applications of having a matching chorus and maximum flexibility and all that. So I’m not very opposed to wearing them, but thought I’d ask about it just because I never formed my own opinion.

In ballet, leotards are used for practice. There is nothing indecent and there is no intention to incite lust. Men wear skin tight leggings for performances and no reasonable person would find that objectionable. So if you wear leggings of the material similar to that of ballet leotards, I really do not see any issue.

Well, as long as it’s a stage costume, I don’t really see the problem in it. Athletes wear far less while performing! Compared to them, you’re well covered up! :slight_smile: Good luck with your performance. :thumbsup:

I think that they are inappropriate regardless of the situation. It seems to me that you understand modesty and why it’s important. I vote no in the leggings… Jmho

People can find all kinds of excuses to dress immodestly. The ends does not justify the means. Catholics are supposed to be counter-cultural. If that makes people say you are square just tell them you would rather be square in Heaven than popular in Hell.

Linsu2nd

Are leotards and tights immodest? Ballet costumes?

Only if you don’t have the body for them… which is why I don’t wear them. :rotfl:

I don’t wear them either because I don’t have the body for wearing leggings! :smiley:

We’re having quite a rash of modesty threads, aren’t we? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll just echo the thoughts of severus and RPRPsych- it’s for a dance performance, not for walking around town. It’s most likely fine.

God be with you as you get read for your performance! :slight_smile:

Yes. Leggings are immodest, under just about all circumstances, unless you’re at home alone with your husband, in my opinion.

Please at least wear a top with them. :slight_smile: By themselves, I’m certain that leggings are immodest. :slight_smile:

It’s a topic that never goes out of fashion, somehow.

(rimshot) :smiley:

Wearing them in a dance studio for dance practice or as part of a costume, I can see. That said when travelling to the dance studio, you should wear something over them such as a long skirt, dress etc.

Outside the dance studio, as far as I’m concerned they should only be worn under a mid-length skirt, dress or under pants if it is cold.

Everyday I see girls wear them as pants and it drives me crazy because I question if they understand what they showing?

By right, skirts or dresses that fall above the knee should be outlawed especially on windy days because they are extremely unmodest. The thing I love about winter is that people tend to cover up. I own a couple of pairs but I only wear them when I wear dress or a skirt. I have a beautiful dress that comes down to my knees and by wearing leggings, I am able to cover up just in case something rides up.

I believe it is possible to dress modestly while dressing in style. Camisoles and common sense are a woman’s best friend.

:lol:

They are acceptable for ballet and such.

Shh, I agree with you, but don’t tell my students that. :smiley:

By right, skirts or dresses that fall above the knee should be outlawed especially on windy days because they are extremely unmodest. The thing I love about winter is that people tend to cover up. I own a couple of pairs but I only wear them when I wear dress or a skirt. I have a beautiful dress that comes down to my knees and by wearing leggings, I am able to cover up just in case something rides up.

I believe it is possible to dress modestly while dressing in style. Camisoles and common sense are a woman’s best friend.

:thumbsup: Excellent post.

Post of the day winner.

I would agree with all of that. As a costume for the actual activity okay as long as that is the norm, but otherwise only under something else.

[quote=CroCatholic] I think that they are inappropriate regardless of the situation. It seems to me that you understand modesty and why it’s important. I vote no in the leggings… Jmho
[/quote]

+1. Leggings are underwear, not pants.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Leggings could be worn as a foundation garment but they are not underwear. Leggings are a type of trouser.

Perfectly fine for a dance performance IMO - but if you don’t think so, then drop the show. Don’t expect them to allow you to dress differently by wearing a top or whatever as someone else suggested. I’m not saying you would…. simply responding to another’s post.

I work in theater… we ask people to wear all sorts of things. Gotta love the art. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.