Do you think that prayer and fasting is a key to successful Christians?

Do you think that prayer and fasting is a key to successful Christians.

Do you know people who practice prayer and fasting?

Yes. Throughout the Gospels, Jesus speaks of prayer and fasting in a good light… And especially prayer… If one defines a Christian as someone who is seeking a personal relationship with Christ… How can you be in a relationship wi someone while never talking to them?

Mortification in general is very important, prayer and fasting are an important practice, but show caution and preparation.

A key, not the key.

Yes,though not the only key, to successful Christians ,their are more too it ,to love God and neighbor,keep the 10 commandments,sacraments,and faithfulness till the end the list goes on…

Mark 9:28 And he said to them: This kind can go out by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

St Mother Teresa

We are called upon not to be successful, but to be faithful,

I have a heart for mendicant spirituality, so my answer is yes, YES and; ALSO YES.

It’s certainly one of the keys, in my opinion. With that said, there is more to Christianity than prayer and fasting. There’s charity and loving your neighbor, too.

Prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.

Prayer is talking to God.
In every relationship you need communication.

Fasting (and please don’t do this for days on end, there is another thread on here about extreme mortifications) draws us away from our earthly attachements. Jesus also mentions it as a valid and recommended spiritual practice.

But you also need to study the Bible and obey the law of God.

You’re on this site, so I’m assuming you’re either a Catholic or are thinking about becoming one? You also need the sacraments.

God bless and peace!

What kind of success do u mean? Here on earth?
For Christians success is achieving way back to Heaven whether your merits are recognized here on Earth or not.
There are elderly saint monks who said fasting and prayer are necessary but not enough. You need to achieve “breaking your heart” (in atonement for ever arguing with God and sin). Not the physical heart though. That can still be if you know what I mean.

I would say the keys are the Sacraments, by which we receive Sanctifying Grace.

Prayer, fasting, almsgiving…these are tools we use to respond to grace more fully.

Yes, I know many who pray and fast.

The fasting I am not so great with except for SURE during Lent when we are supposed to. Now prayer I can ABSOLUTELY say 100% that when my prayer life improved my relationship with my Lord improved not because of me but because of Him. I prayed, don’t get me wrong, but it was a when I thought of it, when I needed help, when I went to sleep. Our priest said in one of his sermons if you’re only praying the Rosary at night and that’s it then that’s not enough. BOOM! Got me right there. Then another priest said if your prayer life hasn’t changed in the last week or month you’re not doing enough. Boom again. I was praying when I felt like it, when I thought of it or when I needed it. NOW I give God my first minutes of my day. I read the Liturgy of the Hours and then I speak with my Lord FIRST. I tell you HE gets the first of my day and the last of my day and all in between. I MAKE time for prayer and don’t just fit it in when I have time and that makes ALL the difference.

As you said it makes all the difference.

I’m not sure “successful” is the word I’d use (as @Mary888 said it depends upon how you define that) but I have greater interior peace when I pray and fast regularly. Many of those around me are the same. On the other hand, the vast majority of those I know who do not fast and/or pray on a regular basis are some of the most anxious, irritable souls I’ve ever encountered. :worried: The most perturbed are those who never do either.

“A KEY” YES!
THEE KEY; NO

God Bless you,
Partick

What is a successful Christian anyway?

St. Mother Teresa once said, “God does not demand success but faithfulness.”

I don’t quote mother terrisa. Her ministry lacked signs and wonders.following.

But like “guandi” she had a moral impairtive.

What is a successful Christian?

If one understands what the
Believers Authority is.

It makes the difference!!!

Praying for blessing other people is a start

Tobit 12:8-13 Douay-Rheims

Prayer is good with fasting and alms more than to lay up treasures of gold: For alms delivereth from death, and the same is that which purgeth away sins, and maketh to find mercy and life everlasting. But they that commit sin and iniquity, are enemies to their own soul. I discover then the truth unto you, and I will not hide the secret from you. When thou didst pray with tears, and didst bury the dead, and didst leave thy dinner, and hide the dead by day in thy house, and bury them by night, I offered thy prayer to the Lord.

And because thou wast acceptable to God, it was necessary that temptation should prove thee.

Clear scriptural evidence - from an Archangel who conveys the exact message of God - as to the efficacy of fasting and prayer.

But, take a look at verse 13, which I have separated for a reason. How utterly comforting it is when life seems “unfair” or as if God is far away, for it is then that He is closest to us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.