Do you think that this Cathedral is ugly?

This is a slide show of the Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Dodge City Kansas:

dcdiocese.org/cathedral/slideshow.ppt.

Watch it and see if you think that this is one of those ugly, modernistic buildings.

Well, it may not be extremely ugly but it is very modern. Most modern buildings are ugly. It was obviously not very traditional. You can tell it was designed by a ‘Spirit of V2’ type because of the myriad times the word ‘gather’ was used. Do I think the right architecture was used? no. The baptismal font looked good though.

The first picture shown, the wide shot of the church and bell tower, looks just like our town center in Schaumburg, IL. Other than that, it just looks like the same modern designs seen everywhere. It doesn’t lift my heart and mind to worship God.

Doesn’t really look like a church, although I believe that the current GIRM does call for a noble simplicity in ecclesiastical design whatever that means. It is a prety simple design though, so maybe it fits right in.

Its a decent looking building. The area is pretty flat and spread out, and the building fits the space.

Many of the older, more vertical type churches we are used to, are in more crowded cities, built before the age of the automobile and parking problems. The parishioners lived close by and strolled to church.

It really wouldn’t be appropriate to build new St. Patrick’s cathedral type building in a town like Dodge City.

It’s always hard to tell from pictures, but it looks OK to me. Not ugly IMHO.

Church buildings have always reflected the times. Why should our time be any different?

Well since you asked…this is a personal opinion mind you…
[list]
*]ugly outside architecture, tabernacle, and chapel
*]the shrine isn’t bad, but noticed there are no kneelers; I’d prefer candles I could actually reach to light
*]nice door handles
*]at least their processional cross is a crucifix (not a modern, unrecognizable, or resurrected Jesus)
*]nice baptismal font
*]ugly sanctuary and altar
*]as for my overall impression of the nave/sanctuary - cold, modern, and as someone else said - ‘doesn’t life my heart and mind to God’
*]I’ve seen worse. I’ve seen lots better. My personal opinion is even if we are building modern churches, Cathedrals should draw on our beautiful Catholic tradition in their architecture and style
[/list]

The interior looks like Ford Field in Detroit, where Super Bowl XL was recently played. :whistle:

Nothing sacred about the photos. I think of hans kung when I look at the pictures. I can’t stand the circle worship thing. The whole setup reminds me of a pagan worship arena. the altar absolutely gives me the creeps.

Absolute waste of money. this is not a place that will make traditional minded Catholics feel welcome. Which makes me wonder why progressives incessantly beat the “collectivity” drum. Gather us in oh Lord yadda yadda yadda. What they mean is Gather us in …everyone…except the traditional types.

My thought was that the architecture is inspired by the pueblos and cliff houses in New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. It’s trying to be distinctly American rather than European.

There were some things I liked more than others. There were kneelers in the daily chapel.

[quote=GoLatin]This is a slide show of the Cathedral of
Our Lady of Guadalupe, Dodge City Kansas:
dcdiocese.org/cathedral/slideshow.ppt.
Watch it and see if you think that this is one of those
ugly, modernistic buildings.
[/quote]

Church in the Round.....gag me.
 It looks like a prison or fort from the outside
 and a concert auditorium from the inside.
 This brings back bad memories from Saginaw.
 My guess is there are mutiple liturgical abuses
 as well. Where's the tabernacle located - probably
 not in the main sanctuary, we wouldn't want to
 give Our Lord too much honor, after all, we are 
 the Body of Christ, so let's just look at each 
 other during the performance. Please stop.

This message board software does not have an “I am puking” smiley. :frowning:

I couldn’t quite put my finger on it but you hit the nail on the head. Thank you! I’ve been trying to figure out what the outside reminds me of - prison is it exactly. Now I can sleep tonight.

I can’t quite figure out the ‘interactive holy family’ concept…please! This isn’t an amusement park - it’s (supposed to be) a Cathedral!
Give me statues that will make me think of my Lord and our wonderful Communion of Saints, not statues that ‘invite’ me to walk around them and touch them. Reminds me of the Ronald McDonald statues in some of the McDonalds Playlands where you can sit on Ronalds lap.

[quote=Swiss Guard]The first picture shown, the wide shot of the church and bell tower, looks just like our town center in Schaumburg, IL. Other than that, it just looks like the same modern designs seen everywhere. It doesn’t lift my heart and mind to worship God.
[/quote]

I thought it looked familiar, but when you said that, yep, it looks a lot like the center of Schaumburg.

I think putting the whole thing on a PowerPoint presentaiton was annoying, because I couldn’t control the speed. Parts of it were beautiful, esp. the doors, the Tabernacle, the statues in the ambulatory. Other parts of it looked packaged, kind of prefab.

I don’'t have powerpoint, so I can’t view it too bad.

You call THAT a Cathedra! I have nicer chairs in my kitchen!Honestly, modesty is one thing but the bishop’s chair is a rather important symbol, and THAT does not fit the bill.

also, the processional cross is just too common. It woudl work in a parish but this is the cathedral! something more would be nice.

as for the building itself, its pretty dang ugly, but as someone said, its modern…

Its a bit to bright. Churches should be well lit, but they should also be such that they will both be capapble of dimmer lighting, and not look ugly when the lights are low. this place looks like it is neither.

The “happy friends” holy family statues, blech! (but thats just a personal taste in art thing)

I also like they they were unafraid to put crucifixes up in more than just the required places.

Nice Baptrisry though, and I really like the Altar.

I also like the use of traditional metal doors (but they had better keep the copper from corroding), very worthy.

Tabernacle looks good and prominent, and its better than Seattle’s bronze flame… thing

so hideous building, some ugly furnishings, but also several redeeming qualities.

Church in the Round…gag me.

You may not like round churches, but they do have points of positivity.

They are easier to evacuate in the case of emergency, easier parking is possible with that configuration as well. But most importantly, more of the people will be able to actually see the mass. Folks’ eyesight starts going at the older ages, so if a church has an older congregation, getting the people closer to the altar by putting them on all sides is a plus.

It lacks a certain Romance…But I still like it. I wouldn’t call it ugly. But it sure is different.

I long for the day that the Church does not settle for mediocrity/banality in its architecture, music, and liturgy.

[quote=proud2bcatholic]I long for the day that the Church does not settle for mediocrity/banality in its architecture, music, and liturgy.

[/quote]

you and I were born in the wrong century then. :stuck_out_tongue:

actually, its turning around. dont lose heart

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.