Do you think the church is often too strict to the point of burnout?

Many times as a practicing catholic, I feel like I need a break from it, like I’m burned out. Think about it, so many commandments and rules, and sacraments, besides the constant need to be holy. I know it’s all for our own good and everything the church teaches is for a good reason so the world doesn’t damage us. But have you ever felt a bit like it’s too much for you?

I reconverted to catholicism like 8-9 years ago and I still find it overwhelming. How to not feel like it? I’m scared the feeling won’t ever go away, or that sometime I will burn out and quit.

1 Like

Have you ever viewed the faith simply as relationship?

4 Likes

Are you getting counseling for your OCD?

3 Likes

You need therapy for your OCD. No this is not the experience most people have. This is your OCD.

6 Likes

We have ten commandments. If you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC), all the stuff about morality is categorised under those ten. So if you think to yourself, I only have to obey these ten commandments, it doesn’t seem so overwhelming.

The sacraments, sacramentals, rituals etc shouldn’t be a cause for burnout. They’re just there to help, and if you don’t want to use holy water or even go to communion every weekend you don’t have to (I’ve heard the minimum is once a year at Easter). Rituals help our lives to run smoother so we don’t have to think as much about what we’re doing, not something we need to be constantly vigilant about.

If you suffer from scruples like I did in the past I recommend reading the CCC. It helps you to know when you’ve actually got something to worry about and when you’re just making it up in your own head.

4 Likes

Jesus gives us only two commandments. Everything else the Church asks are ways to help you keep those two. Here is what Jesus says…

You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40)

That’s it. Keep it simple.

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.