Do you think we are God's first universe?

I’ve been thinking… and what did God do before he created us (more specifically, the Earth and our entire universe.)

If God always has been, what has he been doing for all of eternity? Do you think he created more universes before ours?

Now this is one question that no one can really answer. It really depends on your point of view. Even scientists aren’t sure if our universe is only one and when it dies it’s gone, or if there’s a frequent dying and regeneration going on. So I’d say that this is something that’s left to individual opinion.

Our universe is # 42. :smiley:

[quote=Ani Ibi]Our universe is # 42. :smiley:
[/quote]

Funny as that may have been, it would be impossible to number our universe. A number 42 would imply that there was a number 1, which would mean that God is finite, and that he came into existence, not just exist forever, and one day decided to create the first universe.

I am so confused…

[quote=kyle8921]Funny as that may have been, it would be impossible to number our universe. A number 42 would imply that there was a number 1, which would mean that God is finite, and that he came into existence, not just exist forever, and one day decided to create the first universe.
[/quote]

Not exactly. It simply means that God might have made other universes before ours was. There’s no indication that God is finite and that He didn’t exist before our universe was.

[quote=Milliardo]Not exactly. It simply means that God might have made other universes before ours was. There’s no indication that God is finite and that He didn’t exist before our universe was.
[/quote]

I know that there is no indication, but if we were the only universe He’s made, then what did he do before it?

I suppose man will never know the answer to such questions.

[quote=kyle8921]I know that there is no indication, but if we were the only universe He’s made, then what did he do before it?
[/quote]

Uh…played golf? :smiley:

I suppose man will never know the answer to such questions.

Seriously though, you’re right. That’s outside our scope.

[quote=kyle8921]Funny as that may have been, it would be impossible to number our universe. A number 42 would imply that there was a number 1, which would mean that God is finite, and that he came into existence, not just exist forever, and one day decided to create the first universe.

I am so confused…
[/quote]

I would say we are the only universe. Remember, God exists outside of time so it’s not like He was hanging out for a long time before making us. The only way to describe Him is “He is.” By creating this universe He also created time. We can’t put chronology on God outside of our universe. He only has chronology when He interacts with this universe. So outside of this universe you can’t say “He was” or “He will be” becuase that implies chronology which implies time. Since there is not time, He just is.

It’s really hard to imagine. But once we are in heaven it will make sense. Imagine a fish who spends his entire life at the bottom of the sea. There’s no way he could imagine what it’s like to be in the air. I could try and describe being out of water to him, but he would never be able to really understand until he experienced it himself. Likewise, we have been immersed in time our whole lives so we cannot imagine what no time is until we experience it for ourselves.

[quote=Genesis315]I would say we are the only universe. Remember, God exists outside of time so it’s not like He was hanging out for a long time before making us. The only way to describe Him is “He is.” By creating this universe He also created time. We can’t put chronology on God outside of our universe. He only has chronology when He interacts with this universe. So outside of this universe you can’t say “He was” or “He will be” becuase that implies chronology which implies time. Since there is not time, He just is.

It’s really hard to imagine. But once we are in heaven it will make sense. Imagine a fish who spends his entire life at the bottom of the sea. There’s no way he could imagine what it’s like to be in the air. I could try and describe being out of water to him, but he would never be able to really understand until he experienced it himself. Likewise, we have been immersed in time our whole lives so we cannot imagine what no time is until we experience it for ourselves.
[/quote]

I don’t like that thought… “He is.” It just seems… lacking any support at all. While I believe in God, I often find myself questioning His existence, which I’m pretty sure is sin too.

If God “just is,” than why does he “do” things? Anything that “just is” should have no desire to do anything.

Well, God is also the I AM. It seems lacking as well, but then that’s his nature: He is. Nothing can adequately describe Him. Our views about Him are imperfect, incomplete. We have a certain notion of what He is and who He is, but it’s not complete. Doesn’t mean He’s totally beyond our grasp; He’s given us our intellect to decipher Him somewhat. But as His creation, we are limited.

[quote=kyle8921]I don’t like that thought… “He is.” It just seems… lacking any support at all. While I believe in God, I often find myself questioning His existence, which I’m pretty sure is sin too.

If God “just is,” than why does he “do” things? Anything that “just is” should have no desire to do anything.
[/quote]

I believe that part of the difficulty you are expressing, is due to the fact that you are trying to come to an answer by way of “reason” (logic). While some things can be demonstrated by reason (check out the Summa Theologica, by Thomas Aquiness), others cannot. They are provided to us through revelation. The greatest, and complete, revelation came to us in the form of God’s son, Jesus, “the word made flesh”.

[quote=kyle8921]I don’t like that thought… “He is.” It just seems… lacking any support at all. While I believe in God, I often find myself questioning His existence, which I’m pretty sure is sin too.

[/quote]

He just is and just does.

[quote=davidv]I believe that part of the difficulty you are expressing, is due to the fact that you are trying to come to an answer by way of “reason” (logic). While some things can be demonstrated by reason (check out the Summa Theologica, by Thomas Aquiness), others cannot. They are provided to us through revelation. The greatest, and complete, revelation came to us in the form of God’s son, Jesus, “the word made flesh”.
[/quote]

So I guess that not everything can be explained then. I hate not knowing everything… there’s so much I want to know! Maybe someday I’ll make a brilliant discovery or something…

I believe everything can be explained through reason, and I believe we can explain God. Someday, I’ll find out how.

[quote=kyle8921]So I guess that not everything can be explained then. I hate not knowing everything… there’s so much I want to know! Maybe someday I’ll make a brilliant discovery or something…

[/quote]

Exactly. Check out my fish example. We have nothing to base these concepts on, nothing to compare it to. You have to put down your pride and admit that your mind is not infinite. This is why most atheists are very prideful. They think they must be able to know it all.

Hello Kyle,

Well we know for a fact that Jesus is God’s only Son and He came to our earth to die for our sins. Scriptures tell us that after Jesus death and ressurection He will never die again. So if their are other universes with free willed beings or other free willed beings in our universe these sinners would have to be praying to their Savior who died for their sins on our planet.

God’s great commandment is to love the Lord our God. The only way to love God is to have the option not to love God through free will. God created our universe around the free willed, love for God capable, man. It seems highly unlikely that God would create a universe without free willed beings which could not produce the fruit of love for the Kingdom of God.

Creating universes and planets is not God’s goal in creation. Harvesting faithfull, obedient, loving children into the Kingdom of God is God’s goal. Creating a universe and planet for man to live on in the flesh fits into God’s goal.

It seems highly unlikely that thier are other free willed beings in our universe and much less likely that their are other universes.

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

[quote=Ani Ibi]Our universe is # 42. :smiley:
[/quote]

:wink: We were # 43. (Ani, you :smiley: forgot Oz!!) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

[quote=Milliardo]Uh…played golf? :smiley:
Seriously though, you’re right. That’s outside our scope.
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I understand that #43 turned out much better…

This is the first one I’ve lived in.

Eternity isn’t “endless time”. . .it is actually timeless. . .not having “time” as we know it at all. . .

So God wasn’t just “doing nothing” before we humans became cognizant of time. . .

The whole concept that God is subject to “before and after” an event is a human concept, limited to human intellectual capacity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.