Do you truly believe in the Real Presence?

As I was saying a few departing prayers after Mass the other day, I was approched by someone I didn’t know. He asked how I deveoped, what he preceived, as a “moving devotion” to the Mass and the Holy Eucharist. This took me by surprise because I never really thought that I did anything outwardly to show my love for Our Lord in the Eucharist.

I do arrive at Mass at least a half hour before it begins so I can say a few prayers and meditate. I go over the daily readings at home before Mass so I can reflect on them as I walk to Church, which means I don’t “read” them during Mass, I listen to them being read.

I attend Mass alone, and really try to concentrate on the miracle that happens before us. I bow before the Presence of the Lord, or the mention of His name. I attempt to keep a sense of reverence at all times in His Presence. (Genuflecting, kneeling, silence …) I don’t think I’m doing anything “extra”, or anything outwardly that would seem to be out of the norm. I keep my bodily actions within the norms of the Church and the GIRM.

My only response to this man was that I truly believe in the Real Presence of the Eucharist, and I pray for continued faith everyday. He said he could tell and walked away.

So the question is, Do you truly believe in the Real Presence?

Without a doubt!

I truly believe in the Real Presence. At times when I get lazy and don’t feel like going to Mass, I remember the Real Presence and It makes me want to go. I need Jesus in the Eucharist to help me get through the day and the week.

I have revived the beat of my breast three times during the elevation.

Of course.

Just look at my signature verse below, said EVERY time I see that host or chalice lifted up during the consecration. Jesus promised it & commanded it…He is really there! A beautiful miracle that I can participate in every day of my life. I cannot get enough!
No one else has this spiritual reality.
GLORY BE TO GOD! :bowdown:

There must be a very fine line between this and the regular practice of cannibalism and I have been searching for that line since my first communion.
Pat

There is not a question that upon the Consecration the hosts become Jesus Christ entotal. I have a feeling that quite a few nonCatholics believe this too, especially if they have ever attended Mass.

I have read that in these past several years polls show that as many as 30% of Catholics do not believe in the Real Presence. It is attributed to poor catechisis. For me the Real Presence is as true and as real as the fact that the sun comes up in the morning.:yup:

[quote=patg]There must be a very fine line between this and the regular practice of cannibalism and I have been searching for that line since my first communion.
Pat
[/quote]

It probably won’t clarify things much. Christians since the earliest days of the Church have been accused by un-believers of being cannibals. I would say that reading Chapter 6 of John’s Gospel might help. It would not have been considered a hard saying by Jesus if He was speaking symbolically or metaphorically. It is Jesus who tells us to eat. The other point is that the change in the bread and wine is one of substance and not a physical change as could be measured scientifically. In other words all the things our senses perceive of the bread and wine do not change.
St. Thomas explained this situation about a thousand years ago. Before that there were some that believed that Jesus was physically present rather than substantially present. The Real Presence is one of substance, a word that does not carry the meaning it has in todays world of science. I hope this helps. Dick

is the pope polish? You betcha… :thumbsup:

http://www.stjudefw.org/images/Mary%20&%20Eucharist.gif

[quote=patg]There must be a very fine line between this and the regular practice of cannibalism and I have been searching for that line since my first communion.
Pat
[/quote]

The difference is that in cannibalism the victim is killed and his flesh is divided up. Jesus’ real presence in the Eucharist is never divided; no matter how we subdivide the communion host, Jesus remains living, whole, and entire, in the smallest particle.

[quote=Sir_Hubert]I do arrive at Mass at least a half hour before it begins so I can say a few prayers and meditate.

[/quote]

At my parish, unless it was the Saturday vigil Mass or the first Mass on Sunday morning, if you arrived a half-hour early you would be arriving near the end of the prior Mass. You might be going down the aisle just as the priest was coming up the aisle!

Oh yes, I totally truly believe in the Real Presence of Our Lord! :amen:

Give it Up for the JC, while at BC, I learn about the RP. Love the RC because it feeds me the JC I need and the oppurtunity for some PA, even CPA - not to mention the fact the I LOVE HIM!

:amen: :clapping: :dancing: :bowdown: :amen:

Yes. I believe.

A nice neat answer for me would be “Yes, yes, yes!” However, I imagine that I us should answer “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief.” While I believe enough to die for the Eucharist, I think, I don’t think I have the belief of some of the saints who have gone before us.

If I didn’t believe in the real presence I wouldn’t bother going to Mass.*dsanford.com/miraclehost/hostvideo.wmv *

Do you truly believe in the Real Presence?

As truly as I believe in Saint Murgen the Mermaid! :thumbsup:

If anyone doesn’t, let them be anathema.

If anyone doesn’t, let them be anathema.

I agree! Saint Murgen the Mermaid’s feast-day should be a Holy Day of Obligation, and devotion to her rasied to the level of

hyperdulia

Then we should get a peition going around to have her dogmatically proclaimed co-redemptrix!

:thumbsup:

I like you, Eddie. Great minds think alike!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.