Do You Wear The Brown Scapular? Share Your Opinions, Experiences, And Advice

The Brown Scapular devotion is deeply rooted within the Catholic Church. Throughout the ages, many Catholics have faithfully worn this Scapular throughout their lives. If you wear or have worn the Scapular, please share your experiences.

Here are a few questions to get the conversation started:

[LIST]
*]When did you first hear about the Brown Scapular?
*]Why did you start wearing it?
*]What is it like wearing the Scapular?
*]What reactions does the Brown Scapular provoke?
*]If you don’t wear the Brown Scapular, would you like to?
[/LIST]

I’m really interested in hearing the personal stories of Catholics who have chosen to practice this devotion. Please share your story/testimony with us.

I first heard about the Scapular ten years ago, while visiting an OCD convent. Back then it didn’t really seem interesting, but a nun gave me a little book about the scapular. I took it home and put it on a shelf. A couple of years later,I read it and decided I should enroll in the Scapular Fraternity.
I wear it because it’s a sign of my devotion to Mary and a reminder of the promises I gave to Her in the moment of enrollment.
What’s it like to wear it? Well, to tell you the truth, most of the time I don’t feel it on my skin because I got used to it. Sometimes people ask me what it is that I’m wearing, and then I tell them. But usually it’s hidden under my clothes.

I am still searching for the right way to love our heavenly Mother, and the right way to wear the scapular.

i just put it back on today, for a bit, I had shamfully removed it fearing persecution by co-workers, especially when/if reading the section that implies some will suffer eternal fire. I know it doesn’t say that, but that’s what it could imply by an observer.

Then I realized how stupid and disrespectful I’m being to my Blessed Mother, I love her and feel closer to her more than ever, and hope to grow even closer to her. I want to be devoted to her, and not ashamed of my Heavenly Mother in fear of (mainly) Protestant insult. Also, it’s another Catholic sign, just like my Crucifix and Miraculous Medal, clearing showing I’m Catholic. Not to boast or say “look at how spiritual I am!” no no, just to let others know who and what I am.

[quote=mahalia]I wear it because it’s a sign of my devotion to Mary and a reminder of the promises I gave to Her in the moment of enrollment.
[/quote]

These are nice sentiments. Do you feel that the Scapular draws you closer to Christ?

[quote=mahalia]What’s it like to wear it? Well, to tell you the truth, most of the time I don’t feel it on my skin because I got used to it. Sometimes people ask me what it is that I’m wearing, and then I tell them. But usually it’s hidden under my clothes.
[/quote]

Have many people asked you about it during your daily life? What reactions did they have when you told them the meaning behind it? I would imagine that the Scapular would encourage many people to begin learning about our Catholic faith. It could be a quiet, unobtrusive tool for evangelisation.

i just put it back on today, for a bit,** I had shamfully removed it fearing persecution by co-workers,** especially when/if reading the section that implies some will suffer eternal fire. I know it doesn’t say that, but that’s what it could imply by an observer.

This is what I worry about. I know that some people would only scoff and ridicule me for wearing it. On the other hand, Christ said that we would be persecuted by others for his sake. Wearing the Scapular, despite the humiliations it may bring, would be an excellent form of penance and mortification. I would imagine it would make us more holier. Plus, it is a great way to acknowledge Christ in front of others. The Scapular would test and strengthen my faith. These can only be good things.

I started wearing my brown scapular when my best friend Greg was diagnosed with Breast Cancer during my sophomore year in high school which was in 2006, I think. I had worn the scapular before this, but at this time I was a little afraid of death. So I began wearing my brown scapular on a regular basis. For a long time I didn’t even take it off to shower, I ruined a lot of my t-shirts because the brown leather bled. But now I wear a Virgin of Guadalupe brown scapular made of wool. I continue to wear my scapular everyday. It gives me a reminder to not be afraid of death. For if I die wearing my scapular, I will go straight to heave, The Lady’s Promise! I also know when I die my best friend Greg will be waiting at the gates of heaven to greet me into heaven!

I started wearing my brown scapular when my best friend Greg was diagnosed with Breast Cancer during my sophomore year in high school which was in 2006, I think. I had worn the scapular before this, but at this time I was a little afraid of death. So I began wearing my brown scapular on a regular basis. For a long time I didn’t even take it off to shower, I ruined a lot of my t-shirts because the brown leather bled. But now I wear a Virgin of Guadalupe brown scapular made of wool. I continue to wear my scapular everyday. It gives me a reminder to not be afraid of death. For if I die wearing my scapular, I will go straight to heave, The Lady’s Promise! I also know when I die my best friend Greg will be waiting at the gates of heaven to greet me into heaven!

Thank you for sharing this story! I’m sorry to hear about your friend, but I am pleased that you found comfort in your faith at that difficult time.

When I read about the Sabbatine Privilege and the promises attached to the Brown Scapular, I was suprised that most Catholic don’t wear it. Afterall, most of us will probably end up in Purgatory, and I would think all Catholics would want to do something to shorten the time they have to spend there.

What saints wore the Brown Scapular? Did any Popes wear the Brown Scapular?

I really want to wear the Brown Scapular. But I don’t have one yet… I want to find a real wool one. I think it’s a wonderful devotion, and sure some non Catholics might not understand it or even mock it, but I believe wearing the Scapular pleases God and Our Lady. And it’s really good spiritual protection. btw, I don’t think any coworker/etc would even see it, (if you’re worried about that), cause you have to wear it under your clothes anyways.

A friend of mine who is from the Philippines mentioned to me that it is customary to receive the Brown Scapular at the time of one’s First Holy Communion.

*]Why did you start wearing it?

I started wearing it shortly after my friend got one for me, out of respect for the fact that she wanted me to. I didn’t and still don’t fully understand it, but I like to wear it because it makes my friend happy. That was about four or five years ago, now, I think. (Perhaps longer. It’s hard to remember.)

I was Enrolled into the Brown Scapular several months later at the Winnipeg Conference, by Father Joseph Iannuzzi, which I thought was very, very cool, since I like him very much. :slight_smile:

*]What is it like wearing the Scapular?

I find it comforting. Sometimes, it’s a bit itchy, of course, but it reminds me of God’s love for me, and that Mother Mary has me enfolded in her skirts, to protect me from all spiritual harm. :slight_smile:

I’ve managed to break it twice, but I was able to stitch it back together both times. I also wear my St. Benedict and Miraculous medals on it, and a little cross, as well, and the metal from the medals wears through the cord.

*]What reactions does the Brown Scapular provoke?

Because of the fact that I normally wear it under my clothes, most people aren’t aware that I have one. However, those who do notice my little brown cord sticking out usually smile. :slight_smile:

When did you first hear about the Brown Scapular?
When I was in 2nd grade, about to make my 1st Holy Communion, our parents were almost required to buy a kit through the school that had a roasry, a purse, a rosary case, a prayer book, a pin, and a scapular in it. We were given the scapulars on a certain day and the priest came in to “invest” us. We read a pamphlet about it. Thankfully, our teacer wasn’t as strict as the others and didn’t check for it like they did.

Why did you start wearing it?
I had one in 2nd grade, and wore one occasionally until I was about 19. I started wearing it again about 2 years ago, although I haven’t worn it as much as I should. I wear it when I’m feeling really low, and try to wear it when I leave the house. I try to take it off and put it on without my husband noticing.

What is it like wearing the Scapular?
It’s an intensely private feeling. I don’t feel “holier than thou,” but it’s like having a little secret, like a gold coin in your pocket or diamond earrings under long hair. Mind you, when I start to sweat (a lot, lately), it gets a little uncomfortable. It reminds me to watch my mouth, pull up my shirt, and to be attentive to those in charge, because it’s a “yoke.”

What reactions does the Brown Scapular provoke?
I feel a little ashamed having to explain to my rommate and husband that Catholics don’t think it’s a “get into heaven free” pass, and they think that Catholicism is too full of rules when I explain it. ::sigh::

Someone at my old job saw it and once remarked, “You’re a pretty religious person, aren’t you?” I wasn’t too happy with that, because it’s a negative connotation, and I’m not very strict with my discipline. I try to be knowledgeable in the Faith, but I’m not constantly in prayer and let’s face it, the scapular isn’t a hair shirt!

I’ve had that happen a few times. Once, I quietly told a lady that the back “flap” was sticking out of her shirt at the mall. It was no biggie, but she was as embarrassed as if she had gum on her clothes.

**Do you feel that the Scapular draws you closer to Christ? **
It encourages me to live my faith more. So, yes, it does draw me closer to Christ.

Have many people asked you about it during your daily life? What reactions did they have when you told them the meaning behind it? I would imagine that the Scapular would encourage many people to begin learning about our Catholic faith. It could be a quiet, unobtrusive tool for evangelisation.

I wear it under my clothes. Every now and then people can see it and sometimes they ask me what it is and I tell them. I live in a country in which 95% of people say they’re catholic, and the scapular is not something that provokes reactions. Most people wear something catholic around their necks.
So I wouldn’t say it’s a tool for evangelisation. I think it’s something personal, between you and God. And if you wear it right, your life changes in a way that it becomes noticeable to the people around you, who feel your peace, kindness, patience etc.

you could try here: holyfamilycatalog.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=62&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=scapular&gclid=CJT3kY3bjZUCFQ0YbAodCCEcfg

or here: adoremusbooks.com/scapularsandscapularkits.aspx

I can’t remember when I first heard about it, maybe it was here.:confused:

I started wearing it since in prayer to St. Therese and Our Lady of Carmel, I felt a strong “push” to start wearing it.

I also hardly ever feel it and only really notice it when I’m semi-asleep and get a case of nerves - when I hold it and the MM - or when I have to take it off for a short time for bath. Noone has said anything about it. My little grandchildren will look at it hard when I’m getting ready for bath, but even they haven’t said anything. (My brown scapular has a picture of Our Lady of Lourdes on the front and they’ve seen me when I only wore my MM which I have attached to the scapular now.)

I’ve got to share this photo with you all. It’s a picture of John Paul II as a young man wearing his Scapular. This was taken before he became a priest and was a factory worker:

The cord on my scapular is 47 cm long.

The cord on my scapular is 47 cm long.

Thanks for answering my question. I edited my earlier post because I found the above picture. I think it’s great that we have an image of John Paul the Great wearing his Scapular!

I gave a brown scapular to my husband years ago when he first got sick. He didn’t want to wear it, but when I explained to him the meaning of it, he never took it off. After that, if it came off while he was changing his shirt, he would look for it and put it back on. He wore out so many of them due to showering, swimming, etc, that I had to get him one that has the plastic around it (I found them at a Catholic bookstore). When he went into the hospital for the last time, a few of the nurses knew what the scapular meant, while others had to be told about it. Needless to say, I feel very confident in Mary’s promise that he was taken out of purgatory the Saturday after he died and he is enjoying heaven at least until I get there :slight_smile:

I have one, but I have to admit that I don’t wear it every day. I have a problem with it staying still under my clothing, and the cords are constantly rubbing my neck and become a constant irritant, or it’s peeping out from my clothes and quite frankly, when it does this, I look sloppy. I hope I don’t sound like I’m ashamed to be caught wearing one, or that I’m ashamed of my faith, because I share my faith quite openly with anyone who will listen, but I haven’t yet figured out the logistics of comfortably wearing a scapular every day. Anyone have any suggestions, I’m listening.:slight_smile:

I gave a brown scapular to my husband years ago when he first got sick. He didn’t want to wear it, but when I explained to him the meaning of it, he never took it off. After that, if it came off while he was changing his shirt, he would look for it and put it back on. He wore out so many of them due to showering, swimming, etc, that I had to get him one that has the plastic around it (I found them at a Catholic bookstore). When he went into the hospital for the last time, a few of the nurses knew what the scapular meant, while others had to be told about it. Needless to say, I feel very confident in Mary’s promise that he was taken out of purgatory the Saturday after he died and he is enjoying heaven at least until I get there

I am sorry to hear about your husband, but this is a beautiful story. I am glad that Our Blessed Lady was able to help and support him through her Scapular at the hour of his death. You are right in having faith in the Blessed Mother, because she always keeps her promises.

I have one, but I have to admit that I don’t wear it every day. I have a problem with it staying still under my clothing, and the cords are constantly rubbing my neck and become a constant irritant, or it’s peeping out from my clothes and quite frankly, when it does this, I look sloppy. I hope I don’t sound like I’m ashamed to be caught wearing one, or that I’m ashamed of my faith, because I share my faith quite openly with anyone who will listen, but I haven’t yet figured out the logistics of comfortably wearing a scapular every day. Anyone have any suggestions, I’m listening.

You should wear a Scapular medal when it is inconvenient to wear the normal woolen Scapular. All of the promises attached to the normal Scapular is attached to the Medal. You can wear the medal like a necklace, or you can keep it somewhere on your person. Some people even have a Scapular medal in their Rosary and simply carry this around with them in their pocket. I recommend that you wear the woolen Scapular when you are able to do so, and wear the Medal when it is more convienient. There is no reason why you couldn’t swap and change between the two if it is convenient to do so.

Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.