Doctor knows breast: Microsoft working on a 'smart bra' to help stop emotional binge eating

foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/04/dr-knows-breast-microsoft-working-on-smart-bra-to-help-stop-emotional-binge/?intcmp=features

Put the Ben and Jerry's down. Microsoft researchers have been developing a mood-sensing 'smart bra' that could prevent overeating when stressed.

Those who head straight to KFC when stressed, anxious, upset or worried will know the feelings of brief satisfaction followed by wallowing guilt. But this vicious cycle could be intervened before it even happens thanks to a ‘smart bra’ from Microsoft that offers “just-in-time-support for emotional eating”.

"Smart" televisions have been found to be hackable where someone can view you through your TV while you are not aware of it. Perhaps this could be the same except with someone being able to take pictures inside a woman's bra without her knowledge. And with new technology comes unforeseen consequences. For example, what if ten years from now they discover that wearing this bra continuously increases the risk for getting breast cancer? This is what happened with cell phones which some studies found an increased risk for getting brain cancer with too much use. And a bra is something that is going to be worn close to the skin for long periods of time. I'm not saying that all this would happen. It's just a thought.

Given that Microsoft has never put out a piece of software that wasn't so buggy you could fry it and eat it for protein, there is NO CHANCE that I would let them in my bra.

And good grief, who wants their bra to talk to them via their cell phone? Creepy.

:eek:

--Jen

[quote="revert_jen, post:3, topic:347159"]
Given that Microsoft has never put out a piece of software that wasn't so buggy you could fry it and eat it for protein, there is NO CHANCE that I would let them in my bra.

And good grief, who wants their bra to talk to them via their cell phone? Creepy.

:eek:

--Jen

[/quote]

:D Yes, exactly. Plus, they'll be wanting to download updates and fixes on a daily basis, and will surely figure out a way to monetize it with advertising! Wait for bra_4.0.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:2, topic:347159"]
"Smart" televisions have been found to be hackable where someone can view you through your TV while you are not aware of it. Perhaps this could be the same except with someone being able to take pictures inside a woman's bra without her knowledge. And with new technology comes unforeseen consequences. For example, what if ten years from now they discover that wearing this bra continuously increases the risk for getting breast cancer? This is what happened with cell phones which some studies found an increased risk for getting brain cancer with too much use. And a bra is something that is going to be worn close to the skin for long periods of time. I'm not saying that all this would happen. It's just a thought.

[/quote]

Cell phones actually cannot cause brain cancer; the waves that they emit are too bulky to be able to penetrate cellular structures. My Wave Physics Professor in college found the "cell phone scare" to be one of the most irritating recurring myths in existence. Also, this bra has no camera function to be hacked. If it were hacked through Bluetooth, all they would be able to know would be biological numbers such as pulse rate.

[quote="SMGS127, post:5, topic:347159"]
Cell phones actually cannot cause brain cancer; the waves that they emit are too bulky to be able to penetrate cellular structures.

[/quote]

Scientists will say that something is harmless, and then 10 years later we start seeing the lawyer commercials asking "have you ever used such and such a product..." I'd rather be safe.

[quote="SMGS127, post:5, topic:347159"]
Also, this bra has no camera function to be hacked. If it were hacked through Bluetooth, all they would be able to know would be biological numbers such as pulse rate.

[/quote]

We don't know what the computer geeks making it could have cooked up as a secret bonus feature.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:6, topic:347159"]
Scientists will say that something is harmless, and then 10 years later we start seeing the lawyer commercials asking "have you ever used such and such a product..." I'd rather be safe.

[/quote]

I'll trust someone with a Ph.D. in Experimental Physics and an IQ out the roof on a matter of basic wave properties. We don't need to be paranoid about every little thing. Cell phone waves are not the same thing as ingested or inserted bodily materials.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:6, topic:347159"]
We don't know what the computer geeks making it could have cooked up as a secret bonus feature.

[/quote]

If it doesn't have a lens (and it doesn't), it can't be used to take images, period.

It's essentially a bio-sensor and monitor which transmits physiological data by Bluetooth to a cellphone. It's not clear whether the data will travel over the internet. But cell phones can be hacked. It's also unclear whether Microsoft will keep the data (like Google which keeps everything). Your personal minute by minute medical data transmitted out to a cell tower? Seems to me that there are a lot of privacy concerns here.

[quote="JimG, post:8, topic:347159"]
It's essentially a bio-sensor and monitor which transmits physiological data by Bluetooth to a cellphone. It's not clear whether the data will travel over the internet. But cell phones can be hacked. It's also unclear whether Microsoft will keep the data (like Google which keeps everything). Your personal minute by minute medical data transmitted out to a cell tower? Seems to me that there are a lot of privacy concerns here.

[/quote]

As far as I understand how bluetooth works, it is a mechanism for direct communications between devices and wouldn't go either over the internet or to the cell tower. Sort of like IR ports, only using a radio signal instead of light.

That's not to say that someone standing close enough couldn't hack it. Also, I don't know what ability the cell phone carrier has for reading information off the physical cell phone device.

But it's still creepy. :)

--Jen

It's a completely stupid and sexist idea. So men never binge eat? Or maybe they'll make menbras too. :rolleyes:

However, can't you just see the Victoria's Secret/Microsoft ads now?? :eek:

[quote="Mrs_Sally, post:10, topic:347159"]
It's a completely stupid and sexist idea. So men never binge eat? Or maybe they'll make menbras too. :rolleyes:

However, can't you just see the Victoria's Secret/Microsoft ads now?? :eek:

[/quote]

Maybe they can make a jock strap to help ward off lustful cravings?;)

[quote="Country_Gal, post:11, topic:347159"]
Maybe they can make a jock strap to help ward off lustful cravings?;)

[/quote]

Ha! :D

I bet you couldn’t wear it through airport security. :onpatrol:

[quote="JimG, post:8, topic:347159"]

[/quote]

I don't see what privacy concerns would be present that people don't already accept with other bluetooth fitness monitors such as this or this.

It's certainly sexist in that it treats men differently from women. Not sure why that's a bad thing; I would think a device integrated in a bra would be more comfortable than wearing a running bra with a separate device and strap such as is needed for the devices I linked above.

[quote="Digitonomy, post:14, topic:347159"]
It's certainly sexist in that it treats men differently from women. Not sure why that's a bad thing; I would think a device integrated in a bra would be more comfortable than wearing a running bra with a separate device and strap such as is needed for the devices I linked above.

[/quote]

I'm guessing you're a man. For the first part, binge eating is a weakness, so having something for binge eating that is only for women would be insulting, if it weren't for the fact that I think objectively women are more likely to do it. :) I'm not bothered about that part of it myself. In ways that men and women are truly different, I'm cool with being treated according to that truth.

But no device integrated into a bra is likely to be "more comfortable." Also, since the device doesn't have anything to do with exercise, the running bra part is not relevant. Give me a separate device and a strap--that is, if I were going to have any Microsoft product that close to my body, which I'm not.

Think of someone putting a monitor in your underpants and that monitor initiating connections with your cell phone, to understand the creepiness of it.

I don't necessarily mean that it is dangerous, or that it is immoral or anything. Just creepy. It would feel immodest. :)

--Jen

P.S. And Oh, Catholic1954, I am getting embarrassed just thinking of the results of trying to go through airport security with weird electronics in my bra... eek! :eek:

Wouldn’t that mean they would have to see lustful cravings as a problem? :smiley:

–Jen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.