Doctor Ready to Perform First Human Head Transplant

newsweek.com/2016/05/06/first-human-head-transplant-452240.html?piano_t=1

*In a specially equipped hospital suite, two surgical teams will work simultaneously—one focused on Spiridonov and the other on the donor’s body, selected from a brain-dead patient and matched with the Russian for height, build and immunotype. Both patients—anesthetized and outfitted with breathing tubes—will have their heads locked using metal pins and clamps, and electrodes will be attached to their bodies to monitor brain and heart activity. Next, Spiridonov’s head will be nearly frozen, ultimately reaching 12 to 15 degrees Celsius, which will make him temporarily brain-dead.

Doctors will then drain his brain of blood and flush it with a standard surgery solution. A vascular surgeon will loop sleeve-like tubes made of Silastic (a silicone-plastic combination) around the carotid arteries and jugular veins; these tubes will be tightened to stop blood flow and later loosened to allow circulation when the head and new body are connected. Then the two teams, working in concert, will make deep incisions around each patient’s neck and use color-coded markings to note all the muscles in both Spiridonov’s head and that of the donor, to facilitate the reconnection.

Next comes the most critical step of all. Under an operating microscope, doctors will cleanly chop through both spinal cords—with a $200,000 diamond nanoblade, so thin that it is measured in angstroms, provided by the University of Texas. Then the rush is on: Once sliced, Spiridonov’s head will have to be attached to the donor’s body and connected to the blood flow within an hour. (When the head is transferred, the main vessels will be clamped to prevent air from causing a blockage.) Surgeons will quickly sew the arteries and veins of Spiridonov’s head to those of his new body. The donor’s blood flow will then, in theory, re-warm Spiridonov’s head to normal temperatures within minutes.*

That’s just the procedure, there is more to the article in the link provided.

If this works though… I can’t even fathom all the implications that will then result… and some may very well be pretty bad.

If you believe this will work, I’ve got a luxury beach condo in beautiful downtown El Paso, TX, to sell you cheap!

Even if the patient manages to live, he’d be worse than a quadriplegic, having no working limbs, neck or probably even voice.

They haven’t mastered hand and leg transplants yet, but they expect to plug-and-play an entire body!!!

ICXC NIKA

It’s a little late for April Fools. There are so many improbable steps, it will be like a miracle if it works. It seems to me that joining the spinal cord of one person’s head with the spinal cord of another person’s body would be the most unlikely part.

Has anyone read The Day After Tomorrow, a novel by Allan Folsom? (not to be confused with The Day After Tomorrow, the film) It involves head transplants.

It’s a last ditch effort for the guy. He is dying from a muscle wasting disease so he doesn’t have a lot of control over his body now.

Spiridonov was diagnosed with Werdnig-Hoffman disease at the age of 1 and told MailOnline that he volunteered for HEAVEN-GEMINI because he wants the chance of a new body before he dies.

'“I can hardly control my body now,” he said. “I need help every day, every minute. I am now 30 years old, although people rarely live to more than 20 with this disease.”

please tell me this is just a sample chapter from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein?

Sadly, it’s not.

The surgeon sounds quite confident in the video. Did he do this before and have it work? Did they experiment on animals and have it work or something?

I hate suffering and I hate the fact that the recipient is suffering from a horrible disease. I think I read somewhere that he feels he is going to die anyway and that he wanted to take the risk… but is this not like doctor assisted suicide? Doesn’t this proceedure and ‘first like it’ test run really like something that can be used to break down that barrier to accept Euthanasia?

I don’t know what I’m mourning most- The probable fact that this is Mr. Spiridonov’s last day and will die in surgery- his body botched and butchered and maligned, or the fact we have so called ‘medical’ people who think this is the way to go. Medical procedures that both cause a cure and a trauma (from how grotesque and freakish it is) at the same time aren’t healthy for humankind. If people are disturbed about something, there probably is good reason for it.

If this doctor can fuse spinal cords, then why is he not helping those who are paralyzed instead? This is grotesque and dare I say it, unnecessary. There has to be better ways. We don’t have to mimic science fiction as though that is the only ‘progressive’ route to follow.

No, it’s a treatment attempting to save his life.

There is the likelihood that he will be trapped in his head for as long as the body lives.

Assuming he survives at all.

Belated April fools? Hopefully.

I’d be very wary of what you call ‘treatment’… Remember history. There were some sick demented things they tried on people, believing themselves to be right. Believing it to be “treatment”.

Well, everybody suffering from quadriplegia is in a sense “trapped in their head.”

Like them, he’d still have his senses and mind, but no, to think he could use the “new limbs” would require more pixie dust than Russia has available.

Hopefully, both Hillary and Donald are at the front of the line to have their heads transplanted.
There bodies are fine enough, It is their heads that people have a problem with.

The bodies are too old, (the size of DT’s hands notwithstanding), and whose heads would you suggest? :):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

How does the saying go, pick anyone from the New York telephone book…

I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University.

William F Buckley Jr.

You then have the issue whether those heads would be willing to take up residence on the shoulders of those withered old bodies. :slight_smile:

Again, I believe this procedure is a lot of wishful thinking. But if it worked, a question then arises of identity: We normally think of “personhood” as residing in the human mind, and the mind resides in the head; but the markers of identity are mostly in the body (fingerprints reside on the hands of the body; DNA is sampled from blood cells, which are grown in the bones of the body).

I’d imagine that in a world of routine “head transplants” (actually body transplants), identity would become bound wholly to the retinal scan.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.