Doctors advised this young mum to take abortion drugs but they didn't work. Now, five months pregnant, she asks... How can we ever tell our daughter we tried to abort her?

[LEFT]Staring in disbelief at the 3D ultrasound scan of her unborn daughter, 19-year-old Shannon Skinner would have wept with joy if she hadn’t been shocked into stunned silence.

The baby looked absolutely perfect, almost fully formed with a little button nose and a tiny hand raised to her face, as if waving hello to the mum she had yet to meet.

When the tears finally fell, as Shannon left St Michael’s Hospital in Bristol on Christmas Eve clutching the scan picture, they carried the bitter taste of guilt and fear.

Why? Because the baby wasn’t meant to exist. When Shannon was almost eight weeks pregnant, she underwent an early medical abortion (a termination using pills as opposed to surgery), having accidentally conceived just four months after the traumatic birth of her first daughter Lacie, now aged ten months.

Advised by doctors the pregnancy could pose a serious risk to her physical health, coming so soon after major repair surgery, Shannon — who was also being treated for post-natal depression — felt she had no choice but to have a termination.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533575/Doctors-advised-young-mum-abortion-drugs-didnt-work-Now-five-months-pregnant-asks-How-tell-daughter-tried-abort-her.html#ixzz2pUSHbewN
[/LEFT]

A very heart breaking story, but also a miracle and a wonderful story, depending on how you look at it. Hopefully, the baby will be healthy. I don’t want to comment on the polarizing issues leading up to the decision, though I do want to say I firmly believe and support the Catholic stance on abortion as discussed in the CCC.

What I would like to address is the question, “How can we ever tell our daughter we tried to abort her?” Answer, you don’t. If the child is not safe, it should be adopted. If the child is safe, and the parents raise the child, you don’t unburden your guilt and say “we tried to abort you.” No child, indeed no adult, ever needs to hear such a thing unless some pretty extraordinary circumstances demand it. How would you and I feel if we were told such a thing? A horrible cross to bear, no doubt, but I could never extinguish the joy or spirit of any child or person by revealing this information. I would take it to my grave. JMHO.

Prayer to End Abortion

Lord God, I thank you today for the gift of my life,
And for the lives of all my brothers and sisters.
I know there is nothing that destroys more life than abortion,
Yet I rejoice that you have conquered death
by the Resurrection of Your Son.
I am ready to do my part in ending abortion.
Today I commit myself
Never to be silent,
Never to be passive,
Never to be forgetful of the unborn.
I commit myself to be active in the pro-life movement,
And never to stop defending life
Until all my brothers and sisters are protected,
And our nation once again becomes
A nation with liberty and justice
Not just for some, but for all,
Through Christ our Lord. Amen!

Prayer lovingly borrowed from: catholicism.about.com/od/prayers/qt/End_Abortion.htm

I would say they should not mention it. Unless this child has a birth defect that is directly related to the mother taking this abortion pill, there is going to be no reason to tell her.

My prayers will be that this child never learns this and that she is healthy and unaffected by her mother’s taking this pill.

In her first birth, it says in the article, “some of Shannon’s internal organs were ruptured”, and suffered a “third degree tear” (vaginal, obviously).
Doctors TOLD her to “not become pregnant for at least the next two years, and even then there could be severe complications”.
And within the NEXT TWO WEEKS of the first birth, she gets pregnant, AGAIN.
He said “we used condoms”. Well they aren’t always effective, as they should have known.

Moreover, the clinic did warn her of the failure rate, and she chose to take it on her own volition. This is on her.

Also, I smell a rat.
They can’t be too concerned about their kid finding out they tried to abort him, if they are telling the entire world through a tabloid. Can they?

this.

absolutely no one needs to hear this out of their own parents’ mouth.

i made that mistake.

i asked my mom once if she would have aborted me if she had known about my disability. it was a stupid idea; not sure what i was thinking. let’s just say, i wish i had gotten a different answer.

not that it’s entirely her fault i guess, she had just come from communist china and therefore didn’t believe in God.

I agree this woman is a peice of work who has sexual intercourse two weeks after birth? And with a third degree tear! I havent had a tear but from what some say it makes sex very difficult I cant believe she couldnt just hold off and now that shes telling the world about her abortion attempt to feel less guilty her kid will find out all of the story when she grows up poor kid for having such selfish parents.

You misread the article. She became pregnant 4 months after giving birth not 2 weeks.

The strain proved too much and the couple agreed to live separately when Lacie was just four months old. Two weeks after Anthony moved out, Shannon discovered to her horror that she was pregnant again.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533575/Doctors-advised-young-mum-abortion-drugs-didnt-work-Now-five-months-pregnant-asks-How-tell-daughter-tried-abort-her.html#ixzz2pX5TaG00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.