Doctors may have found a way to destroy HIV

We will see where this leads:

Doctors may have found a way to destroy HIV

HOUSTON – There is real hope that what’s happening in a Houston lab might lead to a cure for HIV.

“We have found an innovative way to kill the virus by finding this small region of HIV that is unchangeable,” Dr. Sudhir Paul of the University of Texas Medical School at Houston said. 
  Dr. Paul and Dr. Miguel Escobar aren’t talking about just suppressing HIV – they’re talking about destroying it permanently by arming the immune system with a new weapon lab tests have shown to be effective. 

Full Story

This sounds promising, but historically the breakthroughs discovered by HIV researchers eventually reach a wall they can’t go around.

Dr. Paul is fishing for money to fund human clinical trials. He believes a vaccine will be created in ten years - a claim which has been made many, many times in HIV research.
media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2008/07/24/TopStories/Ut.Researchers.Discover.Weakness.In.Hiv.Virus.That.May.Enable.Vaccine-3394254.shtml

I hope the researchers can find funding to go ahead with their clinical trials. And pray they are successful. Thank you, Peregrinus, for posting this article.

It is an abenzyme in their research if I remember correctly. I do not see how this would eradicate HIV in infected patients, since they have vast reservoirs of latent HIV.

But wouldn’t it be great if this were a cure?
Wouldn’t it?
Guys?
You know, no AIDS?
Great?
Guys?

I do not understand what are you insinuating here.

But less AIDS means less suffering so it is good.

OK. Cos I thought we had lost hope, that’s all.

What a blessing it will be if the new treatment works out.

From the article:

Basically, their idea could be used to control the disease for people who already have it and prevent infection for those at risk.

Better yet, this is an AIDS treatment the CC would be behind 100%!

Let’s just pray that there’s something to it…

No, there is always hope. But it is worth acknowledging that these kind of “breakthroughs” have been trumpeted in the past. Its good to maintain perspective so we don’t get false hopes.

The laboratory research is an egg, its not a chicken. Its good to keep an eye on it, but we should be prepared that it may not hatch.

Yes, a treatment better than HAART or an effective vaccine would be extraordinarily welcome news. The lives of literally millions of people could hinge on such a development.

The bigger problem is that HIV constantly seems to be mutating, and from the article is says it may be effective on a small portion that does not change. Let’s pray for a cure for all diseases, this one too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.