Doctors raise alarm about health effects of continued coronavirus shutdown: 'Mass casualty incident'

More than 600 doctors signed onto a letter sent to President Trump Tuesday pushing him to end the “national shutdown”…
“We are alarmed at what appears to be the lack of consideration for the future health of our patients,” the doctors say in their letter. “The downstream health effects … are being massively under-estimated and under-reported.”

1 Like

Obviously these doctors disagree with the CDC

They are probably seeing more anxiety in their patients because of the shutdown and possibly much more serious depression.

6 Likes

They are also seeing the results of postponed health care which were mentioned in the article.

7 Likes

If they make the virus go away those problems will lessen

And if the problems that arise exceed those of the virus? Why is it inconceivable to some people that there are worse things than the virus, and going scorched earth relatively speaking as a means to combat it is detrimental?

6 Likes

What can be worse than taking up residence in a body bag?
I see businesses opening with no costomers.

1 Like

Stop being obtuse. You are posting in a topic where doctors are warning of even greater deaths due to the shutdown, and you continue to pivot back to job losses as though that is being discussed in this topic.

If a shutdown leads to more deaths than not, is it the correct solution? Please try and answer is 4 lines or less.

6 Likes

Telemedicine has its uses, but there are some conditions that can only be detected by touching the patient and using things like stethoscope to listen, etc.
Not all patients can take vital signs.
And they can’t necessarily see all their own body parts.

4 Likes

You might like to read the letter carefully.

No discussion of “even ‘greater’ deaths” is given; deaths form the virus were not mentioned. were not discussed. Job losses are discussed. Undocumented scare statistics (see for example liquor sales) were included. Phony vignettes about college students are included. And curiously, they are arguing for lifting some “national shutdown”. Too bad that some doctors put their name to this poor piece with the “Concierge Physician” Gold, and that some see this as World News.

1 Like

The shutdown is!
It is no longer if!
Segments of the economy aren’t coming back any time soon. And so I would hate to compound that. That is why we have phases.

What’s funny is that some of the issues cited are directly under the control of the medical profession. Many people are scared to death of entering a healthcare setting like a hospital or doctor’s office. Providers can change that perception through increased cleaning, outreach, and other things.

Depression is a real problem that should be dealt with. I don’t have an answer to solve that, other than it points to the need some people have to have hope. A national plan on how to handle this whole thing would help that.

As for the group? Wow.

AAPS is generally recognized as politically conservative or ultra-conservative,[2][7] and its positions are unorthodox and at wide variance with federal health policy.[8]

The Washington Post summarized their beliefs as “doctors should be autonomous in treating their patients — with far fewer government rules, medical quality standards, insurance coverage limits and legal penalties when they make mistakes”.[8] It opposed the Social Security Act of 1965 which established Medicare and Medicaid and encouraged member physicians to boycott Medicare and Medicaid.[9] The organization requires its members to sign a “declaration of independence” pledging that they will not work with Medicare, Medicaid, or even private insurance companies.[10]

2 Likes

I’m concerned because I have to go to the doctor’s office for my next appointment. There is no other option.

I’m not worried about the doctor or nurse. But I am concerned about the clueless people at the office. Those that work there and those that are visiting.

I’ve encountered them before and I relish doing it again during the pandemic.

Nothing can be done about stupid people.

And I wouldn’t go if I didn’t have to go to get my medicine.

1 Like

I have a close friend with whom I was just talking who definitely agrees with this, and we have some “lively” conversations. (He also voted for Trump.) He wonders why the shutdown could not have been more gradual to begin with rather than all-or-none, to test the waters and find out if the virus might have decreased without a total lockdown.

2 Likes

That is a question that should have an answer.
The issues in this thread about mental health should have had an answer when we embarked, along with mitigation.
What kind of a plan to deal with a virus pandemic addresses consequences as they pop up on the radar? What else was not thought through from the first day shutting down the world’s largest economy?

2 Likes

Well well well,now it seems Dr. Fauci has come out and stated it’s detrimental to stay in lockdown for extended period of time…
Not good for the health of society in myriad ways. Geez, what took him so long?:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Define “extended”

1 Like

Is that like” depends on what the meaning if “is” is? Bill Clinton

2 Likes

More than two weeks.

1 Like

Perhaps. One cannot understand Fauci’s comment without understanding what he means by extended.

I think that, in light of what Fauci has supported, that interpreted of his use of “extended” is clearly incorrect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.