Doctors raise alarm about health effects of continued coronavirus shutdown: 'Mass casualty incident'

Ask Papillon! He has a better grasp than the Chardonnay crew

Please tell us what we really mean…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

There is this effect that is not under the control of medical professionals, but is noticed by them:

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) – Doctors at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus.

The head of the trauma in the department believes mental health is suffering so much, it is time to end the shelter-in-place order.

“Personally I think it’s time,” said Dr. Mike deBoisblanc. “I think, originally, this (the shelter-in-place order) was put in place to flatten the curve and to make sure hospitals have the resources to take care of COVID patients.We have the current resources to do that and our other community health is suffering.”

The numbers are unprecedented, he said.

“We’ve never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time,” he said. “I mean we’ve seen a year’s worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks.”

1 Like

LOL. The issue is what Fauci meant.
If there is any question about it one can refer to his statement which is the OP in another thread; there is no question that he did not mean two weeks nor was he reversing his opinion of the lockdown to date, not was he endorsing that idea that people should just open up regardless of the prevailing health conditions.

Yes,however you seem compelled to dismiss what he clearly said as was posted here and insert your own interpretation of what we here and Dr Fauchi meant.Why must every post turn into a semantic chess game?

Nope. I a pointing out what Fauci said, in reality, is very different thanwhat might be infered from reading here.
Here is a link to a thread on that statement.

The FOX video is off point, btu teh article gives a link to the interview on whic the story was based. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/dr-anthony-fauci-says-staying-closed-for-too-long-could-cause-irreparable-damage.html

Stay-at-home orders intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus could end up causing “irreparable damage” if imposed for too long, White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNBC on Friday.

“I don’t want people to think that any of us feel that staying locked down for a prolonged period of time is the way to go,” Fauci said during an interview with CNBC’s Meg Tirrell on “Halftime Report.”

He said the U.S. had to institute severe measures because Covid-19 cases were exploding then. “But now is the time, depending upon where you are and what your situation is, to begin to seriously look at reopening the economy, reopening the country to try to get back to some degree of normal.”

However, Fauci also cautioned states against reducing social distancing measures too quickly, adding they must take “very significant precautions.”

“In general, I think most of the country is doing it in a prudent way,” he said. “There are obviously some situations where people might be jumping over that. I just say please proceed with caution if you’re going to do that.”

IOW he stands behind the lockdown, points out that it is never meant to last forever, that many are resuming normal operations prudently and some are not.

So how is that any different from what I posted? No need to drag this on quobbling over minutiae . Seriously,let it go

His statement is nuanced. He notes that the propriety of extending or the lifting mitigation rules depends on the status of the diseases. Moreover he notes that what he is saying is consisted with the approach that has been being taken. It is hard to to align that perspective with " Well well well.now".

Oh for crying out loud. Maybe you just can’t help yourself,this parcing of words.I for one have better things to do that argue for hours or even days over what you perceive as opposed to what most everyone else sees
Have a good day

1 Like

When states and hospitals abruptly stopped “nonessential” procedures and surgery, that didn’t mean unimportant care. Treatments for the most serious illnesses, including emergency care, were missed. Some estimate about half of cancer patients deferred chemotherapy. Approximately 80 percent of brain surgery cases were skipped. Perhaps half or more of acute stroke and heart-attack ­patients missed their only chances for early treatment, some dying and many now facing permanent disability. Transplants from living donors are down 85 percent from the same period last year.
And that doesn’t include the skipped cancer screenings, avoided childhood vaccinations, missed biopsies of now-undiscovered cancers numbering thousands per week — and countless other serious disorders left undiagnosed.
2 Likes

Oh it’s a lot worse than that with at least 38.6 million americans unemployed and with graduating seniors from college facing unemployment after 4 years of hard work and study. what are they supposed to do? i am afraid that many are depressed and contemplating suicide. Parks around here are still closed so people cannot even enjoy a little recreation or picnic at their local park. Doctors at John Muir Medical Center say that they have seen more deaths by suicide than COVID-19 during the quarantine.

“The numbers are unprecedented,” said Dr. Michael deBoisblanc, referring to the spike in suicides.

2 Likes

If we were not such a selfish group, we could count on people seeking to reopen to practice mask wearing and social distancing.
Memorial day behavior lets us know there was no good answer. That’s on us.

People who are protesting and looting do seem to be wearing masks but they are not practicing social distancing. Won’t this cause a spike in covid-19 deaths?

1 Like

The risk of isolation on mental health is not being considered as it should. Both unemployment and isolation are well-known to follow a path straight to depression. Combine the two and a person is now on the expressway to poor mental health. It’s a road that often ends in the very thing we are fighting against with the coronavirus: death.

COVID-19 directly and indirectly affects the mental health of the population. Simply the fear of the unknown, the threat of harm to one’s family, the invisible danger, and more causes stress, anxiety, and even paranoia. Then add the more tangible stressors of lost loved ones, unemployment, isolation, and domestic violence, and there is no arguing that mental health is greatly affected during this global pandemic.

The latest study shows that 42 percent of COVID-19 deaths are in nursing homes. However, only 0.62 to 1.8 percent of the U.S. population are in nursing homes. Therefore, widespread stay-at-home orders are unnecessary to protect the vast majority of the at-risk population.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.