Doctors Urging for a Safer, Choke-Free Hot Dog

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587133,00.html

CHICAGO — When 4-year-old Eric Stavros Adler choked to death on a piece of hot dog, his anguished mother never dreamed that the popular kids' food could be so dangerous.

Some food makers including Oscar Mayer have warning labels about choking, but not nearly enough, says Joan Stavros Adler, Eric's mom.

Poor little boy shouldn't have died because of a choking accident.

But I'm wondering if legislation to change hot dog dimensions are necessary? We've managed to live a couple of centuries with hotdogs without warning labels.

i feel badly for the mother, and son. it's a terrible way to lose a child.

this reminds me a bit of a story that came out a few years ago, where a two-year-old choked to death on popcorn in a movie theater.

i don't think food needs to be safer. it is also up to parents or supervisors to cut up food into smaller pieces, or be wise in determining what kind of food is appropriate for smaller children.

my grandma would cut my food into "small bites" for years. it drove me nuts, but probably prevented a lot of accidents.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.