Does 1John 5 confirm once saved, always saved?

I am a bit confused. Let me start out by saying that I am a new Catholic (Praise be to God), infact, new to Christianity. That being said.

Could you help me understand 1John 5. I was in a discussion with a Baptist preacher today, and he used this verse as proving that once we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, its a done deal. He used many verses, but this one he stressed.

Now I know that is wrong, as I fully believe church teachings, but I did not know how to answer him on this verse. In true Baptist style, he rattled off many verses to me, head still spinning a bit.

I would be thankful if you could help me on this, it is distressing me.

God Bless…

Dear mkw,

The first letter of John, chapter 5 states: “Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is a child of God, and everyone who loves the parent, loves the child.” So by this some say that all one has to do is believe and one is saved. Salvation is a “done deal” as you mentioned. However, John goes on to say (v. 3), “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments.” Something is expected of us.

Here’s more on the subject: “catholic.com/library/Assurance_of_Salvation.asp

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.