Does a 6:00pm Sunday Mass Fufill One's Obligation?

I noticed that a nearby Basilica offers TLM on Sundays at 6:00 pm. As I’ve never been to a TLM, I figure it would be interesting to check out some time.

Here’s the catch though: I usually work Sundays 1:00-6:00. The basilica is at least 30 minutes away from where I work. I normally go to Mass in the town where I work at 8:00 am. If I wanted to go to the Basilica I’d need to sign up to work 8:00-1:00 or 8:00-4:00, which would prevent me from attending Mass in the morning.

Does a Mass at 6:00pm still fulfill the Sunday obligation? The only reason I ask this is because I know the Saturday vigil Mass fulfills the obligation.

Of course it does.

1 Like

Yes, of course. You have until midnight on Sunday to fulfill your obligation.

2 Likes

Any Mass on Sunday fulfills your obligation. As does a Mass on Saturday evening.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies! I never knew that!

A bit off-topic here, but I just had to get this out. Honestly, I hate to say this, but I’ve learned WAY more about the faith here then my mediocre RCIA sessions last year. All we really focused on was loving God. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Loving God is our first commandment
( but I think I know what you’re driving at :innocent:)

1 Like

You are preaching to the choir at a great many parishes. I took RCIA and felt like to was geared for a 12 year old. This forum and Biblical commentaries are life savers.

3 Likes

Admittedly, that’s exactly what CAN make things confusing.

If Saturday evening is Sunday doesn’t that make Sunday evening Monday? Perfectly natural question.

The answer is that it depends on whether or not Monday is a Solemnity!

Seriously, it does.

My point is, again, this can be confusing.

Know this though, as to your actual question: any Mass. yes any Mass, on the calendar-day of the feast (including the feast of Sunday) or the evening-before satisfies the obligation to attend Mass. So if you attend a Mass on Sunday to fulfill your Sunday obligation, you fulfill your Sunday obligation. (Even if it is one of those odd coincidences that Monday is a solemnity).

7 Likes

Thank you Father! :smile::+1:

Oh pooh, here I go, I’m going to derail the thread. Sorry, Melodeonist.

This year, Christmas is on a Monday.

I will be playing the organ for a mass on Christmas Eve, which incidentally is a Sunday. So does that one mass cover both my Sunday obligation AND my Christmas obligation?

This is purely theoretical, as I will be playing the organ for mass on Sunday morning, and Sunday evening, and singing on Christmas morning – obligations covered with one to spare. :grin: :grin: :grin:

The Sunday, Dec 24 Mass in the evening can fulfill either obligation - Sunday if not yet met, or Christmas - but not both. No two-fers.

4 Likes

That’s what I figured.

Poor Father’s got his work cut out for him trying to explain all this to his parishioners come Advent.

2 Likes

I suppose the bishop (or bishops conference) could make an exception. Typically here, Monday Holy Days are not considered obligatory, but the diocese announces that ahead of time. I don’t see that happening with Christmas, and they didn’t do it the last time this occurred, if I recall correctly.

Edit to add: I just checked the websites for my Archdiocese and the USCCB. Christmas is always a Holy Day of Obligation (which I knew), but I thought they might dispense the Sunday obligation; they have not. You’ll need to go twice in 48 hours. However, they did remove the obligation (nationally) for Monday, Jan. 1, 2018 for the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

off topic

i enjoyed your you tube. when will you post the beer barrel polka. do you sing?

1 Like

Thank you! I actually just posted the Beer Barrel Polka last month!

Nope. I can’t sing. If I tried I would sound like Jerry Lewis mixed with Joe Pesci. I sing when I go to church. One day the guy in front of me put his finger to his mouth in a “sshhhh-ing” motion. I guess he really hates my singing! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah. All Masses on Sundays or Holy Days are for that day. You can’t have a vigil for the next day on a Sunday.

You might want to rethink this one. This year Christmas Eve is on Sunday and the Vigil of the Nativity will be celebrated.

1 Like

Well…rarely happens then. I was trying to think of the exceptions. Didn’t think of that one.

Not true. As @Phemie posted, there will be Christmas Eve Masses on Sunday evening, December 24, this year. This is normal when Christmas Day falls on a Monday.

Last year, I went to the Sunday evening Mass (6:30 PM) on August 14 at St. John’s Parish here in Morgantown. It turned out to be the Vigil for the Assumption. It still fulfilled the Sunday obligation for anyone who attended, since fulfilling the obligation is not dependent on what readings are proclaimed. The law simply says “anywhere in a Catholic rite” on the day of obligation or the evening before.

I did attend a Mass for the Feast of the Assumption the next day, as well, even though the obligation for the feast was lifted last year due to it falling on a Monday.

No. It covers one or the other.

Two separate and distinct obligations requires two Masses.

In that case:

The Sunday morning Mass fulfills your Sunday obligation. Once you satisfy that Sunday obligation, the obligation no longer exists.

The Sunday evening Mass fulfills your Christmas obligation. Again, once you satisfy the Christmas obligation, it no longer exists (until next year).

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.